Error during emere -u world
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incubus_head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Error during emere -u world Reply with quote

When i try to do an emerge -u world right after editing my /etc/make.conf file, i get an error that says:

Quote:
checking whether C compiler (gcc -02 -mcpu=i686 -pipe ) works... no

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

ERROR: sys-apps/file-3.41 failed

What do i do now?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

env-update
source /etc/profile
incubus_head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, didnt do anything, still getting same error, damn
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see it now. It seems you have set CFLAGS="-02 -mcpu=i686 -pipe". Change -02 into -O2 because it's the letter O (Optimization), not the number 0.
incubus_head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried what you said but it didnt work so i went back to the beginning and followed all the steps in the installation document word for word AGAIN and i got the same error in the same place. Im about to give up on this, i've been trying to get this installed for like 4 days now.
nadmaximus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: I have the same problem now Reply with quote

I have the same problem, on an established machine. It just started doing it. I have unmerged ccache to see if that might be it, but no help.

Anybody else in the same boat?

-price
incubus_head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont want to give up on Gentoo because im very attracted to the BSD style elements and the USE flags system of kernel compilation. The thing is, this is a new distro and for someone like me who's just getting into linux and wants to learn the innerworkings of the OS, Gentoo is the best way to go but until the installation is a bit more streamlined, i'm gonna have to move over to Slackware.

If i can get passed the installation issues and actually get the damn thing working i'll stick with it, but until then, im gonna have to go elsewhere.
nadmaximus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Ah, figured mine out Reply with quote

Ok, I had a really silly mistake. My CFLAGS line looked like this:

CFLAG="march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe'

There is a missing - in front of the march flag!

I would suggest commenting out your CFLAGS line entirely, and try emerging a single package, see what it does. That is what made me realize that there had to be something wrong with my CFLAGS. If it works with no cflags, it's got to be something wrong there.

-price
incubus_head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first time i tried my CFLAGS were commented out, i uncommented the march CFLAG and input my appropriate processor information but it didnt help. It didnt seem to affect the error i got at all. I have no idea what could cause, or even where the C compiler comes or executes from.
nadmaximus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: This is happening to you during install? Reply with quote

If this is happening during install, make sure when you did the 'unset USE' line that you made sure to capitalize 'USE' (as opposed to unset use).

You will not get any error message if you 'unset use', but your USE flag will still be set to the value used for emerging portage initially.

Just a thought, good luck.

-price
incubus_head
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, once again i made sure of that. The last time i went through i was extremely careful in my execution of the steps, i honestly dont think it was anything i did in error, i think there is some type of unseen conflict somewhere going on that i dont know about.
were4isu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: think I found it Reply with quote

OK, try this and see if this helps, in make.conf I commented out the CFLAGS line

AND

the CXXFLAGS line a few lines below it. Then I tried emerging again, and voila it started working.

Could this be a AMD thing? I am trying this on a Duron and started having these problems after I have installed fine dozens of times on PIII and PIV boxes... strange

Good Luck,
-Chris
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the position of the -O2 or -O3 flag in the CFLAGS string important? I notice that it appears to be different in the two examples shown in this thread. The default in my make.conf is as follows: CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"

is gcc fussy about this order or not? just curious

Derk
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: