View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMaster... next time think before you post. I stated I'm having problems related to modules and hence I asked if it would be possible. I didn't force him to include it, it was just a quick suggestion/question. It wouldn't have hurt anyone and no way is it even closely related to windows. Imagine if Linus's job was taken over by 1337StarWarsJediPwner, the kernel would have 20 features for the basic support and then the rest you could emerge in 200 different modules. Full customization right? My second question was just a polite request for an estimate on the next version TOA. Neither of which were answered. I'm not even complaining about the drivers or release time of the next version, if you don't understand what my post was about then keep reading it over and over until you do. It's not the first time I've brought up the issue either.
Jedi Master
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 1U, you put it so brigh red and I feel to much anger in you - beware of Dark Side :)))

There are too many features that we would like to have - but that's the feature of free software. People do what they can - and what they want, we are not paying them to demand anything. If Tiger wants to develop a logo rather than working on the patch you need - that's his right. If you need the patch - and no developer is working on it for now - take a source and fit it yourself, or ask someone who can and will agree to do this work. That's seems fair -isn't it?

In fact it is not that simple - painting the logo is painting the logo - you sit down and do it. With driver or kernel feature it is not so easy - API changes, and with the experimental patches like nitro, when you get away from mainstream kernel, there is always a choice of which patches you need more - becouse one patch can easily change the API in the way, incompatible with the other one - and it will be the hell of a job to rework the broken feature. I used to do custom patchsets - actually the software I run is very demanding to sheduler, being more precise in works ONLY with staircase12 from Kon's set - and does not work neither with vanilla kernel or newer staircase13. And with new nitro's I have to do some tweaking - rolling sataircase back to 12.2 from 13. And believe me, that's not easy if you are not expert in schedulers. I am not - so I just look at .rej file and think - hey, looks like the change should go here!!! And then it;s taking chances - either I get good working kernel or - crash. Just a tip - so you will better understand that the thing you ask Tiger to do can just be above his knowledge. Not just because he is a lazy null dead beat developer - it is not the thing he can do. At least with the current release. What is in 2.6.15 - I don't know. Tiger does not work with the kernel until it is released - so what can he answer? P

So please don't get angry - just wait for next release. A lot of things are going to change there.
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still don't get it. I'm not angry about the module, or the release cycle. The thing I'm angry about is that whenever I give ANY feedback to Tiger386 the nitro-sources developer, it's as if I'm talking to a wall. What's the deal? If he doesn't care then he should say so and then I won't waste any more time asking questions or providing suggestions/comments. If he does, then why can he reply to other posts but ignore mine every time? Before I used to report on anything interesting related to nitro-sources and ask questions, but now it seems pointless since I've never gotten a reply of any relevance. I'm not demanding support or anything, just simply pointing out the rudeness.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1U wrote:
You still don't get it. I'm not angry about the module, or the release cycle. The thing I'm angry about is that whenever I give ANY feedback to Tiger386 the nitro-sources developer, it's as if I'm talking to a wall. What's the deal? If he doesn't care then he should say so and then I won't waste any more time asking questions or providing suggestions/comments. If he does, then why can he reply to other posts but ignore mine every time? Before I used to report on anything interesting related to nitro-sources and ask questions, but now it seems pointless since I've never gotten a reply of any relevance. I'm not demanding support or anything, just simply pointing out the rudeness.

Hmm, seems like the only problem here is that: surprise!!!, i have a life !!!!!

Nah, seriously, i've been quite busy with the stuff i had to do for my studies, the university doesn't care about my
work for nitro sources either.... I only answer the posts where i can give some ETAs or any concrete answers.
If i start working on a new release, say at 2pm, it's usually ready for final testing somewhere late after midnight,
so the release cycle is only a question of having enough time free from real life ;)

1U : no worries, I'll look into this, and if it doesn't break the entire kernel or eat my dog, I'll include it ( if it isn't already in vanilla,
will check sometime today ). If linus doesn't show up with a final release until , say, saturday, i might break the rules and
throw an -rc release at you guys, as "testing" ofcourse... :D
b3cks
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
Nah, seriously, i've been quite busy with the stuff i had to do for my studies, the university doesn't care about my
work for nitro sources either....

Haha 1U, what did I told you, heh? :twisted:
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Nitro Sources and I dig them. However, one of the main reasons I went with Gentoo was to learn and take a very hands-on approach to Linux. Some people love to tune their cars constantly. I'm that way with my computer.

Thusly now I'm trying to learn how to make my own patchset. You can have multiple kernels installed at any time, and I consider this a fun side-project. However, certain patches most definately conflict with one another. I've been experimenting with ways to try and rectify that.

I see wiggle is supposed to help, but I can't figure out how to use it properly.

What I currently do is the following:

Code:
echo ".Combining Patch 1 and 2..."
interdiff --no-revert-omitted first.patch second.patch > tmp.patch
combinediff first.patch tmp.patch > ender.patch
echo ".Adding Patch 3..."
interdiff --no-revert-omitted ender.patch third.patch > tmp.patch
combinediff ender.patch tmp.patch > ender2.patch
echo ".Adding Patch 4..."
interdiff --no-revert-omitted ender2.patch fourth.patch> tmp.patch
combinediff ender2.patch tmp.patch > ender.patch

Etc, etc. Is this the correct way to combine patches?

Two of the patches that conflict all day long (and hopefully interdiff is supposed to fix) are the mm and ck patch sets. Another problem I'm running into is that some of the patches I'm trying to add are designed for 2.6.14 and I'm trying to add them to 2.6.15-rc5.

I know what I'm doing is probably pretty stupid and I should largely stick to stable kernels. I fully comprehend that. However, I want to learn how to do this, even if it means that in learning I decide to go back fully to more stable kernels and patch sets. Considering that Tiger maintains two very popular patchsets, I hoped he might share some insight into how me makes his.

If someone is interested, I would be happy to share my list of patches that I'm trying to get to work together in my rather foolish endeavor.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust automated clash resolution, it sometimes introduces really nasty misbehaviour, and
in that case one would be better off if it didn't compile at all than malfunction...

If some patches conflict, i fire up 3 instances of editor : the file to get patched and both patches in them, plus a browser with online kernel docs,
and then look for a way to make both work as the authors intended it... involves some C-foo though.. ;)
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a little old-school C. I initially was doing just that. I'd open the file.c, file.orig, and file.rej and try to rectify the files manually. But I'm probably a yellow-belt at C-foo.

One of the big problems is that I'm trying to do something is probably fairly stupid and trying to get certain patches to play nice that may never play nice, such as the ck and mm patchsets. Just placing one on top of another will get me a couple hundred issues. When I examine most of them, they are redundant patches. My first method was simple to apple one patch at a time directly with:
patch -p1 -F5 -t -N < patch.patch > patch.log or patch -p1 -F5 -t -N --dry-run < patch.patch > patch.log

If it detects redundant patches, it will skip them and not apply them, but it still creates .rej files, and I spent forever manually going over all of them.

With interdiff, I'm hoping to clearn some of that up so there is less to manually clean after the fact.

Do you just use combinediff by itself when actually making a patchset from multiple patches? Or do you use a different tool?
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step at a time... :wink:

Begin with the more important ones.
SchAmane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1U wrote:
If he does, then why can he reply to other posts but ignore mine every time?

Even i ignore your posts, so dont take it so personal :lol:
There should be some fun in this community. So just think about your question and think why they are not answered... :cry:
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
If linus doesn't show up with a final release until , say, saturday, i might break the rules and
throw an -rc release at you guys, as "testing" ofcourse... :D

Hey Tiger

That would be awesome, becuase I'm also waiting for a new release like hell 8) I hope you can include the latest suspend patch wich I really need for my new notebook. And there are also a lot of changes in the SATA code that I need for get my notbook's dvd working with dvd :wink:

Thanks a lot for you work! And hey don't forget the real life :)

U1: How do you do? Still gaming a lot? Or too much? :P
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683, danke. See that wasn't so hard lol. I know you're busy, we all are. But it's not that time consuming to write a quick sentense or 2 sometimes.

Phlogiston, no time for games. All my free time is spent troubleshooting problems :lol: still ironing out all the bugs with nforce4. And I've lost 130 gigs on a software raid1 after re-emerging nitro-sources (probably not related, but who knows).
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-408954-highlight-.html
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1U wrote:
Tiger683, danke. See that wasn't so hard lol. I know you're busy, we all are. But it's not that time consuming to write a quick sentense or 2 sometimes.

Phlogiston, no time for games. All my free time is spent troubleshooting problems :lol: still ironing out all the bugs with nforce4. And I've lost 130 gigs on a software raid1 after re-emerging nitro-sources (probably not related, but who knows).
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-408954-highlight-.html

hmm ok that sounds ugly... good luck for that... but eeehm... is this your home pc?
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. But I use my home pc for everything, I don't buy music cds or even own a tv. Oh well, work and troubleshooting is all I get now but it will improve.

If someone who knows Reiser4 and software raid in linux could help me out in that thread I linked I would greatly appreciate it.
b3cks
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody using VMWare under Nitro? It works but I've annoying irregular hardware freezes for some seconds and I don't know why. May while vmmon changes the clock rate!?
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3cks wrote:
Anybody using VMWare under Nitro? It works but I've annoying irregular hardware freezes for some seconds and I don't know why. May while vmmon changes the clock rate!?

VMware Workstation
5.5.0 build-18463
2.6.14-nitro2

No problems ;)
b3cks
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using VMWare Worksation 5.0.0. I think I have to live with this problem cause there aren't any log messages either. May 5.5.0 will work smoother.
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use vmware gsx without a problem. I have gotten hardware freezes but that's while running 2 virtual winblows 2003 times on my machnie so I'm not sure. If I run one at a time though I get absolutely no problems no matter what load it creates.

Make sure you have the following:
Code:
[code]Loadable module support  --->
  [*]   Module unloading (CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD)
Processor type and features  --->
  High Memory Support (4GB)  --->
Device Drivers  --->
  Character devices  --->
    <*> Enhanced Real Time Clock Support[/code]
b3cks
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've exactly that settings but I've still irregular freezes up to 5 seconds. But it's not wild cause I don't need to run VMWare often.
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else noticing mind-bogglingly slow CD ripping? I just got a new drive, DVD+-R/RW DVD+-R DL CD-R/RW (Lite-On SOHW-1693S) and it's horrendously slow ripping and awesomly fast burning. I'm about to try another kernel, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has the problem...
SchAmane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy wrote:
Is anyone else noticing mind-bogglingly slow CD ripping? I just got a new drive, DVD+-R/RW DVD+-R DL CD-R/RW (Lite-On SOHW-1693S) and it's horrendously slow ripping and awesomly fast burning. I'm about to try another kernel, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has the problem...

CDRipping speed has nothing to do with kernel. Check your drive specs. :oops:
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a brand new burner, 48x. I expect a bit more speed than 1x read. Thank you.
Might have found something related to the problem:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/15/176
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ladies, if Linus didn't lie, 2.6.15 final should show up sometime later today or tomorrow, which
means it's not worth doing a -rc release... stay tuned :wink:
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome :). I'm very optimistic that it will fix some of my nforce4 problems.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1U wrote:
I'm sick of providing feedback to null dead beat developers (you're not the first). At least if you simply admit that you don't care, then I can save myself some time in the future that would be wasted on typing or dealing with nitro-sources at all.

smithjd15 wrote:
You, sir, are an ass.

Again, personal attacks get you banned.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: