View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Have e17 draw background while using Gnome? [Semi-solved] Reply with quote

Anyone know if it's possible to have e17 running as the desktop, while having Gnome take care of everything else? I'd wondering if I can use e17-specific wallpapers while using Gnome....

Last edited by bertaboy on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
cconroy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried following the directions on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=54476 to do just that, but as the author warns e17 doesn't really play nicely with gnome. I seem to recall there being some inaccuracies in his instructions, but I figured it out. In any case, nautilus and e17 refuse to get along, and so you'll be stuck with the nautilus desktop.

Moreover, things like the gnome window list become completely useless outside of Metacity (I was hoping the case were otherwise because my major gripe with e17 is that it lacks any sort of visual notification for a new IM ala the flashing window in the panel under Gnome).

If you're just looking for basic gnome functionality, you can set the gnome daemons you require to startup with enlightenment (instructions at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_emerge_e17)

(Note: I've found that using the gnome-settings-daemon like this screws with some e17 functionality...i.e. the alt-tab window selector will only go away after pressing escape with this loaded...my guess is some sort of keybinding issue with the daemon)

edit->> upon re-reading your post I'm not so sure if I answered your question correctly. If you just mean you want the e17 wallpaper then you could always take a screenshot and save it for use in gnome. (altho it won't dance around if it's a moving one)
bob_111
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he wants the animated backgrounds in gnome! :lol:

- bob_111
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob_111 wrote:
I think he wants the animated backgrounds in gnome! :lol:

- bob_111

ding ding.

I tried the animated backgrounds under e17, and they look nice, so I was wondering if I could get the animated backgrounds by calling whatever program is used to draw e's backgrounds while Gnome is up and running, kind of like having xscreensaver running as the background.

Edit: I got the background to be able to use the .edj files, however, it does come at a cost of some fuctionality. I can't seem to get the window manager to prevent objects from going behind the gnome-panels, alt-tab requires me selecting specific windows with the keyboard, and I'm pretty sure I have to close my sessions with alt+ctrl+backspace, and those are just to name a few. I don't think I'll end up using this setup, as I find it counter-productive compared to the previous.

In case anyone else wants to give it a shot, here's what I did:

emerged e17 as normal
edit the lines pertaining to metacity in ~/.gnome2/session to as follows: (You may have to modify slightly differently)

Code:
7,id=11000020d0000111903319100000007520001
7,RestartStyleHint=2
7,Priority=20
7,Program=metacity
7,CurrentDirectory=/home/Rob/
7,DiscardCommand=rm -f /home/Rob//.metacity/sessions/1122246257-8766-2716820557.ms
7,CloneCommand=metacity
7,RestartCommand=metacity --sm-save-file 1122246257-8766-2716820557.ms
num_clients=8

Code:
7,id=11000020d0000111903319100000007520001
7,RestartStyleHint=2
7,Priority=20
7,Program=enlightenment-0.17
7,CurrentDirectory=/home/Rob/
7,RestartCommand=enlightenment-0.17
num_clients=8

Basically, I changed *,Program=metacity to *,Program-enlightenment-0.17 and *,RestartCommand=metacity to *,RestartCommand=enlightenment-0.17, and removed a few other lines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: