View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: adesklets vs gdesklets; and questions Reply with quote

so which is better and why? Im interested in resources and functionality arguments.

Also, there doesnt seem to be any gentoo specific desklets wikis or anything. Do I have to download the individual desklets I want from their respective sites, or is there an ebuild? I emerged both adesklets and gdesklets and no conf files were created. Do I have to create from scratch?

Thank you in advance.
lnxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desklets for adesklets you have to download from their website, which also contains a guide, if I'm not mistaken. Never tried gdesklets, but there seems to be several desklets available in portage (emerge -s desklet-).
VStrider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: 1 to Rule All way, Moria Gate, Middle Earth, SAU 70N

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you'll find desklets for gdesklets in portage, it's best if you get them from their website (and then you drag and drop the tar.gz into the gdesklets window). The ones in portage are outdated or have outdated dependencies.

As about adesklets, I just tried this today. It's *alot* faster than gdesklets and doesn't use too many resources. My system is an old athlon-tbird and gdesklets take about 30 secs for all of them to load. adesklets load instantly and I don't see any cpu hit. The problem with adesklets is that it's a bit more involved to install desklets and configure them. Also, you'll find alot more gdesklets than adesklets.
metalifloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use adesklets with conky. Together they monitor everything I care to monitor and use very little resources.
dwblas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use, and like adesklets. Check the available apps though and see if either a or g has everything you want. Although the adesklets web site says something about notifiying the creator of adesklets it there is some other desklet you would want. To intall, emerge adesklets, create a directory in your home directory, called anything but /.adesklets, and then download and untar whichever desklet you want in that directory. You then run the desklet from it's directory and it will start adesklets if it is not running. You can then start another, etc. If you start adesklets from ~/.xinitrc, or wherever, it remembers the previous status and restores it. All pretty simple.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx a bunch guys -- Ill go with adesklets for now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: