SATA2, special setup needed to install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: SATA2, special setup needed to install? Reply with quote

My new computer is built and I have windows XP on one 250G and I have another 250G for gentoo...now I'm going to unplug(disabled in BIOS) the Windows drive when I install Gentoo but I need to know if I need to do anything special to install this with an SATA2 drive? Should I put it as the first one, second, does it matter? Does Gentoo support SATA2 or just SATA?
Vulpes_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gentoo supports the SATA Controller, and not the drive itself. Altough I have a SATA drive, but on a SATA2 contoller, and it was supported "out-of-the-box", so I don't think that you should do anything special. Maybe disabling the Win drive is not the best idea, since you have to put Grub to the MBR of either drives, and it should be that drive which the system first tries to boot.
detz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm assuming it will try to boot SATA-1 drive first so I will plug my Gentoo drive in that slot so the MBR is there...shouldn't be an issue. Also, I think the BIOS you can choose which HD to boot so I can just choose the Gentoo drive. I figured Gentoo would work with SATA drives but what about the speed of SATA2, are their special drivers or anything?
Vulpes_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I said in my previous post: If the (SATA2) controller is supported, and it is supported on many boards by the kernel, then it will work as SATA2. On the other hand, I don't think you will notice any significant difference, because HDD performance is mostly limited by the drive's mechanics, and not the interface.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: