No Internet: Can I still update?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: No Internet: Can I still update? Reply with quote

I currently have two computers running Gentoo. The one I'm on right now is my Desktop, and it's fine. The other one is a Powerbook G3 that I'm using for taking notes in class, but I've been thinking about trying to get some other software on there so I can experiment when I'm not "at home." However, I'm pretty sure this Powerbook's network card is dead, because I can't get an IP address when plugged into a wall, and none of the lights on my router turn on if I plug it into that (whereas plugging my PC into it causes lights to turn on whether net.eth0 is started or stopped). So I guess I'm faced with a dilemma, and I'm not really sure what I can do about it. I want to get updates onto the G3, but if I can't do it via Ethernet are there any other methods I can use? Could I copy parts of Portage off of my PC and packages onto a CD, and transfer that way? The G3 also supports USB; are there any good methods of file transfering via USB? Maybe the Ethernet card isn't completely dead. Are there any better ways of diagnosing this?
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. check the UTP cable!
You're really going to kick yourself if that turns out to be the issue later on.

2. If the Mac supports some sort of network connection over a USB cable then sure - try that.
USB hub-to-hub "network" cables are pretty expensive though - a new network card may be much cheaper (you can go for 10mbit if you don't need to copy DVD's with it)

3. You can simply download the latest portage snapshot somewhere, and transfer that over to the Powerbook - a snapshot is roughly 20 MB.
Remove the old tree, but leave both the distfiles and metadata directories behind.
Untar the snapshot like in the installation,
Code:
tar xvjpf <portage-snapshot-filename> -C /usr

and run
Code:
emerge metadata

to update the cache.
That should be all.
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm gonna be going with solution #3. One question though: How do I get emerge to list all distfiles I need to merge something? If I do "emerge -p mysql" it gives me a whole bunch of packages, but it didn't tell me that I needed "mysql-extras-*.tar.bz2", so I had to go and fetch that off my PC. I can see that doing a full update is going to take a lot of back-and-forth work, so I'd like to try and get as much in one trip as I can.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicAlex wrote:
Looks like I'm gonna be going with solution #3. One question though: How do I get emerge to list all distfiles I need to merge something?

It usually does list them all.

MagicAlex wrote:
If I do "emerge -p mysql" it gives me a whole bunch of packages, but it didn't tell me that I needed "mysql-extras-*.tar.bz2",

Sure it did.

MagicAlex wrote:
so I had to go and fetch that off my PC. I can see that doing a full update is going to take a lot of back-and-forth work, so I'd like to try and get as much in one trip as I can.

It really shouldn't take more than 2 trips: 1 to update portage, and another to transfer the distfiles.
bdz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicAlex wrote:
If I do "emerge -p mysql" it gives me a whole bunch of packages, but it didn't tell me that I needed "mysql-extras-*.tar.bz2", so I had to go and fetch that off my PC. I can see that doing a full update is going to take a lot of back-and-forth work, so I'd like to try and get as much in one trip as I can.

You need to do "emerge -pf ..." if you want to see all the files to download. More details here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap4

Last edited by bdz on Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdz wrote:
MagicAlex wrote:
If I do "emerge -p mysql" it gives me a whole bunch of packages, but it didn't tell me that I needed "mysql-extras-*.tar.bz2", so I had to go and fetch that off my PC. I can see that doing a full update is going to take a lot of back-and-forth work, so I'd like to try and get as much in one trip as I can.

You need to do "emerge -pf ..." if you want to see all the files to dawnload. More details here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap4

Ah! Thank you! I will have to try this.

Edit: Except that this means I have to have some way of getting data off the Powerbook and onto the PC. Sadly, this Powerbook has no CD burner. But at least I've got a cleaner/more complete list of files.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still go for the 10mbit PCMCIA card - if a Powerbook has any PC Card slots, that is.
A brand new one shouldn't cost more than $10.

Or you can get one of those nifty USB NICs ;-)
MagicAlex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicAlex wrote:
Edit: Except that this means I have to have some way of getting data off the Powerbook and onto the PC.

Silly me, my iPod has a hard drive. This would be perfect if my Powerbook had a Firewire port, but fortunately a friend has lent me his iPod->USB cable. This is much easier than using a CD, that's for sure.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: No Internet: Can I still update? Reply with quote

MagicAlex wrote:
I want to get updates onto the G3, but if I can't do it via Ethernet are there any other methods I can use?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Networkless_Maintenance
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: