View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shdowhawk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Kde crash on start Reply with quote

Hey there.. i have a dell XPS laptop. ATI radeon 9800.

I have kde merged and my original tests to start xorg were all fine. I merge KDE, do the fglrxconfig .. check it. Seems to look good. so i startx
I get the nice KDE blue background and the icons show up that it's loading.. and after a few seconds my system TOTALLY locks up.

No other system to log in with to check for problem...

Any suggestions?

Edit: Just tried it again.. it freezes on the "Restoring Session" part of the KDE initial screen load
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the problem occurs with a different window manager, try something simple.
Disable xdm until after everything is working. If the problem still happens, remove fglrx
and use a driver provided with xorg.
schiojr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem!

X11 seems to work well but when I start KDE 3.4, it locks the whole workstation.
magicmike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I have an nvidia gf 6600le (using nv because X kept saying it couldn't initialize nvidia module). i'm running 2.6 kernel built for AMD64. i emerge'd kde (full setup the first time, took forever lol) and then unmerged and tried again with emerge. on first run it show a strange screen and hard locks forcing a hard reset. then when i run it again it shows the loadscreen and hard locks at Restoring Session. have no idea what to do. X server log shows no errors.

oh yeah, running newest KDE and X -config /whereveritis/xorg.conf works fine. tried to emerge Gnome but it fails several hours into emerge and won't finish but that's for another forum.
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kde crash on start Reply with quote

shdowhawk wrote:
Hey there.. i have a dell XPS laptop. ATI radeon 9800.

I have kde merged and my original tests to start xorg were all fine. I merge KDE, do the fglrxconfig .. check it. Seems to look good. so i startx
I get the nice KDE blue background and the icons show up that it's loading.. and after a few seconds my system TOTALLY locks up.

No other system to log in with to check for problem...

Any suggestions?

Edit: Just tried it again.. it freezes on the "Restoring Session" part of the KDE initial screen load
Sounds like maybe there is dodgy session info sitting around your hard drive, is this a fresh install? Perhaps "rm -R .kde*" and try again? BIG FAT DISCLAIMER: Just to emphasise, this will wipe your KDE settings and any configs related to KDE-based apps (such as amarok). Think before you type, and don't blame me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: