live cd booting problem!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterNinjaScarab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: live cd booting problem!!! Reply with quote

I have an ISO image burnt of the Universal CD and GRP packakge CD. I try to boot the Universal CD and it will tell me that it's trying to load the environment. It stopped when it tried to find the CD while booting to the Live root. I looked at a few arguments I could send when booting off the CD and decided to try 'gentoo -nodma'. This got me to a prompt where I could begin 'fdisk' and everything. Then I get to the steps where I need to 'tar' from the CDROM and it hangs when trying to peel stuff of the CD. I tried a Pioneer DVD-ROM from a different computer and it works perfectly. DVD isn't mind unfortunately...hehe...and I just used it for testing. I'm on EMACHINE running a:

Intel Celeron 400 MHZ
HD 60 gig
190 MEG RAM

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to get the regular CD-ROM to work. The CD-ROM that hangs is a:

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-140

Any help, I'd be grateful.
Lastebil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know this for sure, but if that's a really, really old CD rom, it may need some of the older non-modern cdrom code in the kernel. If the livecd doesn't have appropriate drivers (I had this problem 2 years ago with a scsi drive on an Alpha machine) you can try to do the install from a knoppix cd. I think knoppix cd's still have some of that older code in 'em.

You could also try 'peeling' the stuff off the net, which should eliminate the whole problem of copying the files you're 'peeling' off the CD.

You could also try putting the files you need on a usb stick, if you don't have net for that machine, and 'peel' from there, rather than the CD. Anything to get the files there instead of the CD, ya know. Cuz the CD sounds flaky (:

And heck, it COULD be the media - stick it in another machine and see if you can read the files with no issue?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: