Boot blows up on amd 64 x2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcyberdoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Boot blows up on amd 64 x2 Reply with quote

Got everything installed on an HP Pavillion AMD 64 x2 machine. Finally got grub to load the kernel, but it tells me it
"can't load root partition. Pass correct root parameters" or some such equivalent. I've tried making it ro, I've tried both /dev/hda6 and /dev/sda6 (sda6 is what I mount during installation, etc) Still no love. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm not a grub expert, but it seems like it is past that.

On a related note, I tried to boot my XP media partition and it just constantly reboots. What is going on? I have to hide (hd0,0) and unhide (hd0,1) in grub to get it to recognize the XP partition. However, I get the XP banner, then spontaneous reboot. I can't get the restore partition to boot (which is hd0,0) and I'm at a loss.

Anyone?
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/sda* is a scsi drive (or sata), grub will recognizize it after other hard drives try hd1,* (* is a wildcard it can stand for any character) if you have more than one IDE drive it may even be hd2 or 3...
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using an ATA Hard drive or a SATA one? Can you post your grub.conf and your /etc/fstab? If you can't boot into your system you could boot in though a live cd and mount your hard drive there so you can get at the files to post them and fix them if necessary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: