Gizmo on amd64 [SOLVED, sort of]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Gizmo on amd64 [SOLVED, sort of] Reply with quote

For those of you that don't know, Gizmo is another Voip application like Skype. Like Skype, it's only available in a 32bit flavor. Unlike Skype, it doesn't appear to want to run in 64 bit linux. I can get it to work in my 32bit chroot, though, but if possible, I'd like to run it without a chroot. There's a bug here, but no one seems to know how to fix it. The first problem I have is the lack of a libtiff.so.4, as described in the bug. I went into /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib and symlinked the libtiff library to libtiff.so.4, which is what I had to do to get it to work in my 32 bit chroot, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. Running ldconfig, however, shows libtiff.so.4 in my /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib directory. Any ideas?

Of course, running ldd on the program shows a whole host of other libraries that it's missing, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Last edited by MathFreak on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
jk3us
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really excited when I learned about gizmo and their plans to release a linux version... Unfortunately, I haven't seen much in the way of a good release for it yet... All they have right now is a not so good version for linsipre and debian. I haven't had any luck getting it to run under gentoo at all (neither x86 or amd64), but gave up several weeks ago. Anyway, I'm just gonna wait it out and see if they ever release something that works.... sorry for not being much help.
Adwin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gizmo on amd64 Reply with quote

MathFreak wrote:
FI went into /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib and symlinked the libtiff library to libtiff.so.4, which is what I had to do to get it to work in my 32 bit chroot, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Well, I just hope you are not linking amd64 binaries in a 32bit chroot. That won't work.
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gizmo on amd64 Reply with quote

Adwin wrote:
MathFreak wrote:
FI went into /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib and symlinked the libtiff library to libtiff.so.4, which is what I had to do to get it to work in my 32 bit chroot, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Well, I just hope you are not linking amd64 binaries in a 32bit chroot. That won't work.

Nope. Gizmo works perfectly in my 32 bit chroot. I linked libtiff.so.3 to libtiff.so.4 in the chroot and it worked. But doing it in the emul-x86 libraries under 64bit isn't working.
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. I had it running after copying a multitude of libraries from another 32bit install. It became a cat and mouse game with libexpat.so.1 which led to all sorts of pain. I did have it running and it didn't run well anyway - crashed all the time and sound was a problem. I'll try them again when they take Linux seriously and give us a reliable tar.gz. If....
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, like the edited title says, I'm almost there. I compiled every library I could think of in my 32 bit chroot. I managed to get almost everything working. At the very least, all the libraries are there. But when I try to run it, I get this:

Code:
(gizmo:17201): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:
  '/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

(gizmo:17201): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
zsh: abort      ./gizmo

Now I'm stumped. I don't even know what to look for to fix. Any ideas out there?

If not, does anyone know how to set up other softphones to work with Gizmo?
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, since it might be useful:

Code:
chris@localhost bin % tree /etc/pango
/etc/pango
|-- i686-pc-linux-gnu
|   `-- pango.modules
|-- pangox.aliases
`-- x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    `-- pango.modules

2 directories, 3 files

and the contents of /etc/pango/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pango.modules:

Code:
# Pango Modules file
# Automatically generated file, do not edit
#
# ModulesPath = /emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules
#
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-x.so BasicScriptEngineX PangoEngineShape PangoRenderX common:
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-thai-fc.so ThaiScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc thai:* lao:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-arabic-fc.so ArabicScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc arabic:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so devaScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc devanagari:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so bengScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc bengali:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so guruScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc gurmukhi:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so gujrScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc gujarati:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so oryaScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc oriya:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so tamlScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc tamil:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so teluScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc telugu:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so kndaScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc kannada:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so mlymScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc malayalam:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-indic-fc.so sinhScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc sinhala:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-hangul-fc.so HangulScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc hangul:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-syriac-fc.so SyriacScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc syriac:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so BasicScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc armenian:* bopomofo:* cherokee:* coptic:* cyrillic:* deseret:* ethiopic:* georgian:* gothic:* greek:* han:* hiragana:* katakana:* latin:* ogham:* old-italic:* runic:* canadian-aboriginal:* yi:* braille:* cypriot:* limbu:* osmanya:* shavian:* linear-b:* ugaritic:* common:
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-hebrew-fc.so HebrewScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc hebrew:*
/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-tibetan-fc.so TibetanScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc tibetan:*

MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can get it to work. Sort of. I think I went a little too hogwild in compiling 32bit libraries. The gizmo binary I'm using (I think it's from the Fedora RPM) needed libpangocairo, so I just copied over all the libpango libraries from my 32bit chroot. However, the emul-linux-x86-gtklibs package has its own pango libraries (just not the ones with cairo) and they're set to use /etc/pango/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pango.modules whereas the ones from the chroot use /etc/pango/pango.modules. So, I kept the ones from the emul-linux-x86-gtklibs package and just copied over the libpangocairo ones from the chroot. Now it runs. Also, I could use all the pango libraries from the chroot if I copied the pango.modules into /etc/pango.

Unfortunately, I'm at school at the moment and could only see it run through VNC. I'll have to wait until this evening to try the voice stuff. If anyone's interested I could probably provide the libraries I used.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: