Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What's the Gentoo / Linux lifecycle like?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: What's the Gentoo / Linux lifecycle like? Reply with quote

OK, we all know that winblows / windoze installations need to be reformated and reinstalled every 6 months or so to be usable. Now, what's the situation with Linux and or Gentoo in particular? Does it start to get bogged down like in windoze? I'm interested, because I'm reaching the stage where if I wasn't using linux, I would probably need to do a reformat soon....
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and if it does and you can identify the program that causes the problem, you can remove it with 'emerge -C program-name'

There is also no need to re-install because of the LiveCD gets updated as it is only used during the initial install.

Use 'emerge rsync && emerge -u world' to keep your system updated on a regular basis.

Erik
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often used to reinstall Linux when i was using mandrake or slackware, the dependancy hell made my system a complete mess of half installed software and stale packages... with Gentoo however I can't see this ever happening.

qpkg -I -q is also usefull for keeping your system clean.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
I often used to reinstall Linux when i was using mandrake or slackware, the dependancy hell made my system a complete mess of half installed software and stale packages... with Gentoo however I can't see this ever happening.

Amen.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reinstall my system about every two weeks... because I like it...

But if you are a bit careful, you should never have to reinstall - unless there's a major upgrade like the gcc2 -> gcc3 switch for which it might be beneficial to reinstall rather than to upgrade...
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch to 2.6 might not even demand a reinstall. It generally takes a major upgrade to either gcc or glibc to make a reinstall worth it.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, why do people re install so much?

In the days of 95 / 98 i can understand the need, i have had win2k on my main workstation for last 2 years without a re install. It is stable for an MS machine, very few crashes.

I think the problem is caused by constant installing of demo or use once never use again software, to avoid this use something like Ghost and take snapshots of system when it is as you want it, then when it starts to get bogged down just reload good ghost image.

Need to separate off data/home dir for this to work.

I hate to reinstall, takes ages to get my system and programs back how i like it.

PS i do use gentoo, have it on sub note book and will be installing it on my toshiba portege 7020 this week also plan to move over to gentoo on main workstation soon.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nt needs less reinstallation, but still gets bogged down by junk. One thing is that in linux applications tend not to try and start up at boot time unliss you want them to.

However, i've only had to reinstall gentoo 2x. To benifit form the upgrade from gcc2 to 3 you need to recompile everything and my crappier boxes don't have enough HDD space for emerge -e world. And then when i copied something to /dev/hda3 not /mnt/hda3 (damn knoppix and their mount locations) i had to reinstall, but i didn't lose data either time.
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid reinstalling from the problems a crufted system presents, I keep two gentoo installs. One is my primary and the other is for testing out new software. Once I find something I like, it makes into my primary.

You can go emerge crazy installing all sorts of things and when you start to clear things out with either unmerge or depclean you can break your system requiring recompile of the broken apps. I find the primary/testing setup pretty good at keeping this to a minimum.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about you guys, but I reinstall for relaxation.
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once i had to reinstall gentoo because of harddrive crash... and once debian because apt got messed up with external apt-sources..
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I used Linux (one year) I only have reinstalled MDK8.2 one time, just after the first install, because I made a / partition too short, but after I kept my MDK8.2 9 months without any reinstall (MDK8.2 vas really stable for me), and since I'm using gentoo (3months), I didn't have reinstall it !
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Hello, why do people re install so much?
In the days of 95 / 98 i can understand the need, i have had win2k on my main workstation for last 2 years without a re install. It is stable for an MS machine, very few crashes.

One of the main reasons is NTFS fragmentation, if you create a lot of directories, your disk will end up being non-defragmentable. One other reason is one-way installs (you can install but you cannot go back), like IE upgrades.

Here at work, my NT4 workstation lasted 2 years (I never upgraded from IE 3.02 ;)), but in the last 6 months all 16-bit based InstallShield installers crashed... Then I moved to Gentoo (at last I found a way the CEO accepts a few Linux workstations here).

But I agree with you, in the hands of a person that really knows what he is doing (and doesn't install new stuff to test every week) the lifecycle of an NT/2k system can last several years.

-K
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: