View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: xorg.conf doesnt let kde (kdm) startup! Reply with quote

Hi all, this is my first post on these forums.

I have Sager 3880 laptop with a centrino 1.7 and a nVidia go 6600. i was trying to get KDE to run at my proper resolution. i tried to edit my xorg.conf, but it didnt exist, there was only a "xorg.conf.example". so i edited that, and saved it as xorg.conf. when i rebooted, the boot would hang at one step for about 10 seconds (at a step that didnt used to hang at all), and then proceed, but it wouldnt load up KDE or KDM, i would just get the console. i deleted the xorg.conf, rebooted, and it loaded fine, just in the stupid resolution. i made a new xorg.conf as a straight up copy of the example, no changes, when i rebooted the same hang and no load kdm occured. i deleted it, and it booted up fine the next time. what am i doing wrong?
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Xorg -configure to build a suitable xorg.conf for your system (I only had to adjust the mouse device location), and remove xdm from default runlevel until you're able to start X correctly. You may want to follow this guide.
tlo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting all sorts of errors when i run Xorg -configure. it says that it can't find my mouse. i don't use a mouse, i use a touchpad. i emerged the mouse driver already but it still won't. i tried running it anyway and just changing xorg.conf.new, the "mouse0" driver to "synaptics", but then i try the running tester and it complains.
dc46and2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you emerged the driver for your touchpad, but you didn't mention if you loaded the module--I assume that the driver is a kernel module? Use
Code:
lsmod
to see if it's loaded. If not, use
Code:
modprobe [nameofmodule]
to load it up. I think only root can use modprobe. The driver ebuild probably installed some documentation in /usr/share/doc, so look there for more information that might be helpful, like the name of the kernel module or tips for xorg.conf. Also, if loading the module fixes the problem, then edit /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 so it gets loaded automatically when the system boots. Hope this helps.
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the mouse driver as is and change the device option (probably /dev/mouse) to your real mouse device, probably
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

kasperhans
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post ypur xorg config, your dmesg, your lsmod output and your rc-update -s to see where to start solving :)
tlo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've moved on and tried a reinstall from stage 3, and have other problems with that, so this thread is no longer needed. thanks for the replies, and can a mod delete this please?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: