GRUB - Stupid?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: GRUB - Stupid? Reply with quote

I have never used GRUB before, simply because I have (before 3 days ago) never managed to get it to work.

When I installed grub, my Linux drive was hd2. This was while running off the live CD.

Because I installed Grub into the MBR of hd2, I obviously wanted to boot hd2 first.

When I rebooted, hd2 became hd0. It also does not seem to be able to boot my *cough* win *cough* doze *cough* partition ?

Does anyone understand the grub mentality. While it makes sense yes, if it changes the way it numbers the drives depending on which drive is booted first, its bloody stupid.

/dev/hda
/dev/sda
/dev/sdb

The above is just so much easier, since you work with it all the time.
It also doesn't change the drive letters around unless you physically re-plug them in differently !!
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub indexes the BIOS drives. That means if you change the order the BIOS sees the drives (changing the boot order is exactly this :twisted: ), grub sees itself running from (hd0) but in conf gets redirected to (hd2), which is not so good :wink:

Windows is even more dumb and expects its boot loader on the active partition of the first drive. After you made (hd2) to (hd0), windows cant find its boot loader any more, so there is another problem.

What to do:

- Change back the boot order in BIOS so that windows can start again.

- configure grub to be installed to (hd0) - the disc that holds the windows partition - and boot from (hd2,x) where x is the partition which holds your /boot directory. If you have a extra partition for /boot you have to give the kernel line in the grub.conf an extra "root=/dev/sdby" where y is the number of your / partition

And no, Grub is not stupid, its just consequent in its ignorance of existing standards :twisted:
AA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fscking windoze
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: