View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sublimekiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: resolution Reply with quote

Hey guys. i have (had) a amdn 2600+ with a 6600 256 1gig of ram and a 200gb. well to say the least it has killed it self. (well the video card packet it in and took the motherbraod with it.) now i am useing my linux server as my main box for 30days or so. and i want to know how to change the resolution. because i can go to 1600x1200 and it is now set at 800x600 can someone help.
George Ellison
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding the resolution you want in xorg.conf (in Screen, under the Display subsection). IIRC, X will try to start at
the highest resolution listed.
sublimekiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am kinda a noob at linux so i will need a littel more then that
George Ellison
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oookay, here goes. First of all, get to a console, xterm, whatever, and log in as root.. Type in 'vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf'. If it doesn't work, type in 'emerge vim', do something else for about twenty minutes, then come back and try it again.

Scroll down until you see a line that says 'Section "Screen"'. Scroll down a bit further until you see a line that says 'SubSection "Display"'. You'll see a line that says "Modes" and has a couple of resolutions. Scroll over, hit "Insert" and type in the resolution you want (use the others as a guide), in the color depth you want (whatever section has a Depth that matches the DefaultDepth ~10 lines above it). Once you've finished, hit Escape, then Shift-Z-Z to save and quit.
Kill your X server and restart. It should be at the new resolution.

Or, if that doesn't work. just run xorgconfig again and re-enter your mouse, keyboard, display driver and all that shit.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Ellison wrote:
Oookay, here goes. First of all, get to a console, xterm, whatever, and log in as root.. Type in 'vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf'. If it doesn't work, type in 'emerge vim', do something else for about twenty minutes, then come back and try it again.

Shame on you for telling a noob to use vi when nano is already installed and easier to use.

George Ellison wrote:
Or, if that doesn't work. just run xorgconfig again and re-enter your mouse, keyboard, display driver and all that shit.

Better yet, use "xorgcfg" and avoid having to know your refresh rates and everything else.

Basically what you want in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is something that looks like this, where your DefaultDepth is 24 and "1600x1200" is at the front of the Modes list for 24.
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "** NVIDIA (generic)                   [nv]"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Your Identifier, Device, and Monitor may vary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: