Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Encourage Canon to develop Linux drivers!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penulci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Encourage Canon to develop Linux drivers! Reply with quote

Dear Users of Canon printers under Linux!

Please encourage Canon to develop drivers for Linux. The quality of their printers is not bad and the absolute ignorance of Linux seems to disappear.
At least you can ask to get informed about new drivers for Linux here!
I guess if more and more people ask about information it might encourage them to develop more and better drivers.

Greetings, Michael

PS.: Best is to spread this link as far as possible :wink:
deezid86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the link.
I hope that they'll release a driver for my PIXMA iP2000 (which I've bought in germany) for linux.

regards Dennis
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have filed a formal support in the past and they said they have no intention to ever support Windows x64 or Linux. Too bad I own two Canon printers, a Canon scanner, and a Canon digital camera.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same answer a few months ago, but today I've heard that drivers for my ip pixma 3000 are out. (32bit I guess)

So canon can't stop linux. The force is stronger ...

But I'll never buy cannon again. It's their attitude, plain and simple. Windows are dieing anyway...
quadbox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon printers are attrocious, no matter what your platform is. Their only redeeming feature is adequate print quality

Their software and drivers are huge, clunky, bloated and slow. The hardware's unreliable, cheaply built. You have to replace the print-heads at great cost with every single cartridge.

Ever since I moved over to Epson printers (an r310 and an r2400) i've never looked back. The output quality's far better, they've got adequate linux support through gimp-print, they're cheaper to run, and they're well built

Not to mention the fact that cartridges (genuine) can be had for about $10aud each if you shop around
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them a message (again), and it looks like their computer just sends back the same answer again and again.

Quote:

Incident Number 2621471

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

In response to your query, there are no drivers available for Linux for your scanner and we know of no plans at present of any possible future releases.

Should our answer not fully resolve your problem, please feel free to either re-submit a new query on our Website https://self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/login/ss.cgi?LANG=en (Please do not reply to this email using your "REPLY" tab), or alternatively call our support helpdesk at 08705 143 723 from 9:00AM to 9:00PM Weekdays and 9:00am to 5:00PM Saturday, stating the 7 digit reference number in the subject of this email.

We aim to answer queries as soon as possible. Responses on average take 2 to 3 business days (or the next working day if submitting on a weekend or public holiday).

Kind Regards! ,

Canon UK

You can probably resubmit until their server dies ....
Answer would not change. but they widened their support for printers lately. So I guess the answer they sent isn't true at all.

Anyway hp and epson will sell more. That's called free market, ha.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeehaaaa!!!!

See this thread: An ebuild for Canon Pixma/Pixus Series
here is the link: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-448354-highlight-canon+pixma.html

Works for me!

Does anybody know whats happening with support for canon scanners? Unfortunately I have one.

Did maybe someone have success with running canon scanner driver under Wine? I tried half a year ago - no success.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time back I was bitten by the lack of support for Mac OS X by HP. They kept saying their driver was coming in a very short time. This happened for a year and a half, at which point I decided that that company would no longer make any money from me, for any product whatsoever.

Not sure exactly what can be done to cause a hardware builder to support a new OS, but certainly if they refuse to support me I can refuse to support them. If a company can get by for years without supporting a commercial OS like Mac OS X, then I guess I see no compelling argument for one to support an open source one if they don't want to.

For what it's worth, the companies that do such things, especially the ones which refuse to cooperate with somebody who wants to build a driver the manufacturer need not support, tend to make hardware that's crappy anyway.
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadbox wrote:
Canon printers are attrocious, no matter what your platform is. Their only redeeming feature is adequate print quality

Their software and drivers are huge, clunky, bloated and slow. The hardware's unreliable, cheaply built. You have to replace the print-heads at great cost with every single cartridge.

Ever since I moved over to Epson printers (an r310 and an r2400) i've never looked back. The output quality's far better, they've got adequate linux support through gimp-print, they're cheaper to run, and they're well built

Not to mention the fact that cartridges (genuine) can be had for about $10aud each if you shop around

Coming from Epson, I have had the exact opposite experience : My Epson Stylus had a horrible print quality, was not strongly built, cartridges were awfully expensive and and I had to replace them quite often. Btw, most Epson printers cannot print quality pictures AND text well. Somme of them are okay for pictures and others for text, but not both. There are lots of reviews over the web that can confirm you this point.
With my new Canon Pixma, all this disappeared. It is solidly built, has a great printing quality, and so on...
I printed a large picture on A4 border less and I'm still abashed by the realism of colors. Text is very crisp too.

So, I think such statements as 'canon printers are atrocious' just don't make sense.

Oh, I nearly forgot to say : Canon cartridges are 50% less expensive too.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
Some time back I was bitten by the lack of support for Mac OS X by HP. They kept saying their driver was coming in a very short time. This happened for a year and a half, at which point I decided that that company would no longer make any money from me, for any product whatsoever.

Not sure exactly what can be done to cause a hardware builder to support a new OS, but certainly if they refuse to support me I can refuse to support them. If a company can get by for years without supporting a commercial OS like Mac OS X, then I guess I see no compelling argument for one to support an open source one if they don't want to.

For what it's worth, the companies that do such things, especially the ones which refuse to cooperate with somebody who wants to build a driver the manufacturer need not support, tend to make hardware that's crappy anyway.

Doesn't Mac OSX use CUPS? So wouldn't you be able to use the drivers from www.linuxprinting.org ? Or any other CUPS ppd file that's for your hardware?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: