Converting flac to mp3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EneNL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Converting flac to mp3 Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to burn a load of flac files to CD. The problem is, that when I do that, there's only static on the CD. No music anywhere. I am burning it with Graveman. I tested if I could burn mp3s, and those turn out fine. So I was wondering how I could convert flac to mp3 (ofcourse I am open to others suggestions/solutions). I tried Sox, but it doesn't support flac.
krazykit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First hit on Google, searching flac2mp3
kasperhans
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe google really rox lot of questions can be solved within the time ya need for setting up a post in this forum ;)
EneNL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell, that was stupid of me -_-. I started to count on the forums and on portage to much.
I apologise. And thanks krazykit.
piewie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't convert a lossless audio format to mp3. Convert flac or shn directly to wav and make your cd.
"Did you know that MP3s achieve their small file size by discarding all sound above 15Khz? Did you know that you can hear just over 20khz?"
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piewie wrote:
Please don't convert a lossless audio format to mp3. Convert flac or shn directly to wav and make your cd.
"Did you know that MP3s achieve their small file size by discarding all sound above 15Khz? Did you know that you can hear just over 20khz?"

actually ogg does that, lame mp3 encoder @ 256+ bitrates actually maintain the higher frequencies, but in doing so use more bits in the high range making the low and mid range more starved of information. Ogg cuts off the top to maintain a high quality mid and low range.

tradeoffs. I use lame mp3 @ 320 abr, which theoretically yields higher than 320bitrates when the music needs it. I cannot tell the difference between it and my cd on high quality studio monitor speakers.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, lame only maintains higher frequencies when told to, I believe. And are you sure OGG/vorbis does that? I have to look into that.

Quote:
tradeoffs. I use lame mp3 @ 320 abr, which theoretically yields higher than 320bitrates when the music needs it.

Why not simply use Flac then. You're pretty close here to what flac achieves.

BTW, audio compression doesn't just chop of higher frequencies. It applies all sorts of psycho-acoustic tricks, like leaving out low-volume sounds when there are other louder sounds present.

As for the topic starter, just use the "flac" command to decode to wav and burn the waves on CD.
bk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is a widespread myth. Many people seem to think that lossy compression works by simply discarding everything above or below a certain frequency, probably because how the compression really works is too complex for easy explanations.

This particular version of the myth seems to be mixing up MP3 with analog FM radio; FM has an effective frequency range that tops out at 15khz. However this isn't totally false: the grain of truth is that MP3 is less efficient at encoding frequencies above 16khz (there's no scalefactor for that scalefactor band), however this is compensated for through increased bitrate. This is assuming modern VBR encoding using LAME; if you're still using CBR, well, how does 1995 feel? :)
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piewie wrote:

Actually that is what the abovementioned flac2mp3 script does.

AFAIK there is no lossy encoder that can read from .flac directly. (Heck it's hard enough to find apps that can *play* it directly...)
bk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nephros wrote:
AFAIK there is no lossy encoder that can read from .flac directly. (Heck it's hard enough to find apps that can *play* it directly...)

oggenc can encode directly from FLAC files.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wasn't the idea to burn audio cd's? Then converting to wav is all that's needed. Intermediate files are useless and counterproductive.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bk0 wrote:
oggenc can encode directly from FLAC files.

Gotta love the vorbis guys! :cool: :D

halfgaar wrote:
But wasn't the idea to burn audio cd's? Then converting to wav is all that's needed. Intermediate files are useless and counterproductive.

DOH! Of course!
My understanding was that he wanted to burn mp3 data CDs. I should really learn how tho read...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: