Quick Search: in
Choosing right Distrubtion and architecture for school
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Choosing right Distrubtion and architecture for school Reply with quote

Dear Gentoo,

Hi! My name is Jackson Peebles, and my school is planning to switch over to Linux. I am not sure what distribution they are getting, but the tech coordinator has told me that any Linux will do. So I researched for a while, and decided on Gentoo! The problem is, I cannot decide what distribution of Gentoo I should use! It gives me these options:

alpha amd64 ppc (32 bit) ppc (64 bit) sparc64 x86

Assuming that these are for different processors, I can probably rule out the AMD one and the 64 bit one. I would like to dual boot on one hard drive. I have to keep Microsoft Windows XP. However, I still don’t know which one to use, and I was wondering if you could please tell me what would be appropriate for this hardware:

-Windows XP

-Pentium 4 Processor 530J with Hyper Threading (3.00GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz Front Side Bus)

-1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM Memory

-160 GB Primary Internal Hard Drive

-40 GB Backup Internal Hard Drive

-160 GB Primary External Hard Drive

-Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 With 128MB Shared Memory

Please help me decide quickly, since I can only download them on a fast internet connection, which I will only have access to for two days.

Thank you,

Jackson Scott Peebles
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

dgaffuri wrote:
x86
Thank you so much! I know that you probably know what you are talking about since you are a veteran, but can somebody please give me a second opinion, just for confirmation?
-Jackson Peebles
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgaffuri wrote:
x86
Seconded.

Remember that if gentoo proves too hard to install, don't give up on linux, just on gentoo. Just switch to an easier to install distro (like ubuntu).
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A second opinion! How many do you need. You have a Pentium 4; x86 it is.
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: I REALLy NEED HELP NOW! Reply with quote

9100107 wrote:
Dear Gentoo,

Hi! My name is Jackson Peebles, and my school is planning to switch over to Linux. I am not sure what distribution they are getting, but the tech coordinator has told me that any Linux will do. So I researched for a while, and decided on Gentoo! The problem is, I cannot decide what distribution of Gentoo I should use! It gives me these options:

alpha amd64 ppc (32 bit) ppc (64 bit) sparc64 x86

You need to understand that these are not really choices for you to make. Those are all different types of architectures. The processor that you own makes the choice for you. As you use a Pentium 4, you would automatically use the x86 arch. Just for example if you had a Mac then you would use ppc.

--sonik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: I REALLy NEED HELP NOW (Part Two) Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who responded to my requests for help with the version distributions. However, I have one more question...
Can I run Gentoo on a seperate external hard drive? Western Digital 160 GB...
I need very detailed advice on how this will work and how to boot from an external, I'm not very smart.
Thank you,
Jackson Peebles
borden_hawk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of external hard drive is it? USB, firewire, etc...
phsdv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: I REALLy NEED HELP NOW! Reply with quote

9100107 wrote:
I am not sure what distribution they are getting, but the tech coordinator has told me that any Linux will do. So I researched for a while, and decided on Gentoo!

One of the advantages of Gentoo is the very good package management system and installing from source giving you a lot of freedom in which options to use and not to use. Because of this freedom, it is not the easiest system to install if you are new to unix or linux. When gentoo is up and running and you do understand the package system it is great distribution.

What are your reasons to choose gentoo?
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be mean or anything here but if you already ran in to troubles choosing the architecture for you computer you might be better of with something like Suse,Ubunthu or Fedora. Those might be a little easier to get into in the begining.
I would also like to know why you chose Gentoo? It's a great distro, but it might be hard for someone with little or no exprience of Linux. So to get a better first impression one of the above might be better. Ofcourse it's your choice.
FLUG member 473
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86 is the only install that will work on a Pentium 4. The other distributions are for completely different hardware, such as the IBM PowerPC processors, etc.

Honestly, if you're not that familiar with hardware architecture, then perhaps Gentoo isn't the best distro for you. One of the big advantages of Gentoo is making custom builds from source customized to your architecture.

For a large number of computers, such as a school, I'd go with a distro that is easier/quicker to install and maintain. If you just want something fast, Arch Linux and Damn Small Linux will also help.

If you do decide to go with Gentoo, do plenty of reading up first.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I REALLy NEED HELP NOW! Reply with quote

Please don't take it personal, but someone who spells the topic in ALL CAPS (except one because the forum won't let you post otherwise) and appearently has no idea about computer architectures and Linux in general should really not be the one deciding which Linux distribution to get. Just listen to what your tech department suggests and knows best.

PS: merged your other thread and fixed topic.
Axxium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a serious post? Wow! Stay away from computers all together man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: