View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] 1-Crash on KDE logout 2-KDE can't adjust resolution Reply with quote

1-Black screen on KDE logout

This happened before I made changes to xorg.conf.new, so nothing to do with the issue below.
This really stinks because after logging out of KDE (ending the session), the only way to shut down the computer is with the power button! How do I make it so lending a KDE session returns me to the shell?

I took a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and these are the only possible problems I found:
Code:
(WW)  Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(EE)  [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI
(WW)  I810(0)i xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed (Cannot allocate memory)
I don't even know if this has anything to do with my problem or not. As for the memory, I don't know what that is, but I have 312.56MB, and as this only shows up in the Xorg.0.log file, I doubt that memory is the problem.

2-Cant adjust resolution in KDE

The only resolution in the drop-down menu for my display in the KDE control center is 800x600. My HP Pavillion V50 monitor supports 800x600 and 1024x768, and so does my video card...all came with the HP computer. Based on what I read in this thread, which I quote below:
optiactive wrote:
I agree with nanoczar. You should probably have your default depth set to 24 (meaning 24 bit color depth). Also, your second subsection should specify a depth of 24. I would try to minimize potential issues by removing some of the permutations in your file. So you might change your screen section to:
Code:
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth    24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth    24
      Modes    "1280x1024"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

So, I removed one of the subsections and edited the other. Set the mode to something you're sure your video card can handle, like 800x600 or 1280x1024.

I removed all unnecessary subsections from xorg.conf.new, leaving only the one for Depth of 24 (the config file had subsections for depths from 1 to 24), and added "DefaultDepth 24" as shown above. But, no matter what I do, the only resolution shown as a choice in the KDE control center is 800x600! I made sure the larger resolution was listed first, don't know if that makes a difference. It now looks like this:
Code:
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth    24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth    24
      Modes    "1024x768" "800x600"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

I tried looking all over the forums, but the only possible solutions I saw for the resolution issue were the fix above, and making sure video card support is built into the kernel properly (which it was). I have vesa video card support built into the kernel. Most things in this forum involved nvidia cards, which mine is not.

BTW, running lspci tells me my video card is:
Code:
0000.00.01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810 CGC (Chipset Graphics Controller)

Last edited by GetLinux on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Additional Info (don't know if it's any help):

After reading up on graphics controllers and integrated video chipsets (mine is integrated), there are some more things I have learned about the specs of the Intel i810 Chipset, but I don't see anything that translates into changes I should make in xorg.conf. Here's some things about the 810 Chipset:
Upgrading and Repairing PCs: 14th Edition (2003) wrote:
Made for Pentium III and Celeron processors (I have Celeron "Coppermine").
Supports relatively low-performacne (PCI-equivalent) integrated graphics.
2-pc chipset:
  1. Graphics Memory Controller Hub (integrated video)
  2. I/O Controller Hub
66/100/133MHz system bus
AGP 2x Intel 3D graphics
Optional 4MB dedicated display cache video memory
MPEG-2 playback
266MB/x hub interface
UMA (uses decicated system memory for video processing)
DVI-port capable (but I just have standard CRT monitor, not a flat-panel)
ATA-66 support
No ISA bus support
No AGP cards can be used (can't upgrade system)
Regarding the Firmware Hub 82802AB (I don't know if this is what I have, there are 2 versions):
  • 512Kb (4Mb (not MB!)) of Flash BIOS
  • incorporates system BIOS and video BIOS

That 512K seems to match the specs at this address:
Code:
000:00:01.0 Class 0300: 8086:7121 (rev 03)
  Region 0:  Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
  Region 1:  Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
(The elipses (...) represent other info or links that I can't understand, 2 specs I can pull out of it are 66Mhz and Latency=0.)

The only information of consequence I can pull out of this is maybe the standard VESA driver doesn't recongnize that my system uses UMA (dedicated system memory), not just the 512Kb on the Graphics Memory Contoller Hub???

Windows ME, Windows XP and Xandros (linux) had no problem with graphics or screen resolutions. If I remember correctly, I had 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution choices (I only used 800x600 and 1024x768, with 1024x768 as default). The only refresh rate supported (which showed up in Desktop Properties under Windows) was 60Hz, so I'm sure 72Hz isn't supported by my on-board video.

I also did some snooping around in more /etc configuration files after emerging Quanta (which I haven't tried yet, b/c of the resolution issue with KDE). I found this section in /etc/vga/libvga.config:
Code:
# Monitor type:

# Only one range can be specified for the moment. Format:
# HorizSync min_kHz max_kHz
# VertRefresh min_kHz max_kHz

# Typical Horizontal sync ranges
# (Consult your monitor manual for vertical sync ranges)
#
# 31.5-31.5 kHz (Standard VGA monitor, 640x480 @ 60Hz)
# 31.5-35.1 kHz (Old SVGA monitor, 800X600 @ 56Hz)
# 31.5-35.5 kHz (Low-end SVGA, 8514, 1024,768 @ 43Hz interlaced)
# 31.5-37.9 kHz (SVGA monitor, 800x600 @ 60Hz, 640x480 @ 72Hz)
# 31.5-48.3 kHz (SVGA non-interlaced, 800x600 @ 72Hz, 1024x768 @ 60Hz)
# 31.5-56.0 kHz (high-frequency, 1024x768 @ 70Hz)
# 31.5-???? kHz (1024x768 @ 72Hz)
# 31.5-64.3 kHz (1280x1024 @ 60Hz)

HorizSync 31.5 35.5
VertRefresh 50 90
I notice none of the choices offers all 3 resolutions, but should I maybe be changing the HorizSync to 31.5 48.3 because I know 60Hz is the highest refresh rate my monitor supports at 1024x768?

I don't have a manual for my monitor, of course, because it came with my computer for which you get those simple set-up guides, and that's it.

Also, in /etc/vga/libvga.config there is a place where you can specify a chipset type, if you want to force it. It is a long list, which includes VESA (which is the Vesa BIOS recommended if you can't get anything else to work), and the I810, which has the comment "# Intel i810/815 integrated video - not yet working", so I'm sure I shouldn't use that. It also says "# If a chipset driver gives trouble, try forcing VGA", but I don't know yet if I should do that.

As you can tell, this came as a Windows Machine...everything is HP, the monitor is HP Pavillion V50. I haven't changed any hardware, the only thing I did was add more memory to my system when I upgraded from Windows ME to XP, but the memory was recognized by all OS's including gentoo, so I don't see how that could be a problem.

Has anyone else had these problems with going from Widows to Linux? Again, Xandros had no problem with screen resolutions, it's just since I did a stage 3 gentoo install and emerged KDE. Only 800x600 shows up in KDE Contol Center (640x400 and 1024x768 are not showing up).
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes to the HP site had me lost (many times you are taken to their shopping cart instead of info), but I tried one more time and was able to find this info on my monitor:

General:
Support for VGA, SVGA UVGA
Maximum non-interlaced resolution: 1024x768
15"/38.1cm
90 degrees deflection
0.28mm dot pitch
13.7"/34.8cm maximum diagonal visible image area
10.9"x8.1"/277mmx208mm maximum viewable area

Vertical Frequencies supported:
640x480 60Hz/31.5kHz
640x480 72Hz/37.8kHz
640x480 75Hz/37.5kHz
720x400 70Hz/31.5kHz
800x600 56Hz/35.2kHz
800x600 60Hz/37.8kHz
800x600 72Hz/48.1kHz
800x600 85Hz/53.7kHz
1024x768 60Hz/48.4kHz

I am confused about "Vertical Frequencies" in these specs, "VertRefresh" in /etc/vga/libvga.config and "check your monitor for vertical sync rages" in /etc/vga/libvga.config!

I think I can safely deduct that for HorizSync I should be entering the lowest frequency for the lowest resolution as the minimum and the highest frequency for the highest resolution for the maximum, hence "HorizXync 31.5 48.4". But the vertical terminology has me confused. My /etc/vga/libvga.config had "VertRefresh 50 90", and I had no idea where those numbers came from, or how any of the info on the HP spec page correlates to possible entries here!

Can someone please help me?
I haven't seen any answers or even and suggestions at all here, and I guess that's because a lot of you have built your own system, which I haven't. Has anyone here had to deal with this after converting an as-is Windows box to Linux?
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about resolution and memory:

"Upgrading and Repairing PCs: 14th Edition" mentions minimum memory requirements for 2D operations as 2MB fir 1024x768 resolution with 16-bit color, or 4MB for 1024x768 with 24-bit color (true color)...which I know my monitor and chipset support. This would seem to verify that the VESA driver is not properly determining that the chipset uses UMA (I think).

I also tried to force VGA in /etc/vga/libvga.config, but that didn't work either....my monitor supports VGA, SVGA, etc. (as you can see in my above post).

I stopped at Barnes & Noble, and read some info from hardware chapters in many books. None of them gave me any more info, but one did specifically say that the i810 chipset is neither truly PCI nor AGP. This chipset supports 3D, too. Since the standard VESA driver (maybe) isn't working, I'll try forcing AGP and see if that works, my understanding is i810 emulates AGP although it's not.

Unless anyone knows of a specific workaround to make the VESA driver use system memory???
DenDixon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Similar problem Reply with quote

For what it's worth I have a similar problem. At the bottom of my post there's a reply with a link to an old forum question also with the same resolution problem.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-406787.html
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you press 'ctrl-alt-F1' ? This should give you a console.
Also please post the video driver section of xorg.conf and any portion of /var/log/Xorg.0.log which shows an error (EE). Are you certain you are using the correct driver in xorg.conf for your hardware?

I don't know this for certain:
I believe that KDE will only show resolutions that exist in xorg.conf.
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the resolutions in my xorg.conf, but I don't know if I need to change the VertSync or how to do so properly (see my above posts). I'm doing Bob P's way of rebuilding the toolchain right now, so I can't really do squat, but I'll post back with the info when I can. And maybe there was a build problem.

I have i810 (Intel) onboard video, and using the VESA driver, which as far as I know is supposed to be the only one that works with that chipset anyway (I could be wrong).

One thing I saw in another post is that you should not be logged in as root when doing your xorg.conf...why is that?
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should generally not be logged in as root. Higher security, less chance of doing something stupid by accident. However, changing system files is one thing that does require root access either through sudo or su.
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after rebuilding the toolchain using:
Code:
emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -e world
I re-ran Xorg -config. This produced an error that did not happen before, "Xorg is not able to detect your mouse. Edit the file and correct the device", and also my xorg.conf file just looked generally different. So I ran "xorgcfg -textmode" (interactive menu) instead...it is easier to read, and has a database that gives you choices based on previous choices, which was helpful for the video card and driver. In the meantime I was able to find a doc on my monitor similar to the one I bookmarked before, but with a little more detail, so I could figure out the correct settings. Basically, because I could match up the monitor types in xorgcfg -textmode with the supported resolutions and horizontal frequencies to come up with the correct monitor type, since the HP wesite does not say what it is. That appears to have worked. I can now log in and out of KDE like normal, and I can choose my screen resolutions and set a default for my user, and it takes. However, I now have a resource conflict on reboot. Here are the choices I made in xorgcfg -textmode (which runs hardware detection first and makes some choices for you):
  • Mouse0: PS/2, Emulate3Buttons, /dev/input/mice
  • Keyboard0: Generic 104-key PC, U.S. English
  • Monitor0: Non-Interlaced SVGA, 1024x768 @ 60Hz, 800x600 @ 72 Hz (I realize I forgot to enable 640x480, but that's ok), vertical sync range 50.0-120.0
  • Card0: card i810 i810, chipset i810, driver i810
  • Screen0: default screen depth 24 bits /16Mb colors, modes 1024x768, 800x600
  • BusID: PCI:0:1:0 (it said you don't need to explicitly set it, so I let what showed up in this menu stay, I think this is the error)

Now these are the 2 errors I am getting:

On system reboot:
Quote:
Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller in slot 03
Bus:01 Device 0A Function 00
then it says to press 'F1' to make changes to the BIOS or 'F2' to continue.

The info brought up in 'F1' is not very informative, it just says what is enabled for each PCI slot, does not list the hardware or service associated with each slot or what the conflict is, and I don't see any related settings I can change. So I press 'F2' to continue with bootup and, after a long delay while the system attempts to start eth0 and dhcp, I get:
Quote:
Error: Problem starting services
"netmount" was not started
and I can confirm there is no networking by trying to access a webpage with links. I'll post my config and log files seperately below.
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware: HP Pavillion XE 783 Desktop Computer
Celeron (Coppermine) Processor
Intel i810 Chipset (on-board video)
HP Pavillion V50 Monitor

My xorg.config:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "X.org Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
   ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "dri"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "freetype"
   Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "PS/2"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option       "Emulate3Buttons"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "keyboard"
   Option       "XkbModel" "pc104"
   Option       "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "MonitorVendor"
   ModelName    "Monitor Model"
   HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
   VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "i810"
   VendorName  "Intel Corp."
   BoardName   "82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
   ChipSet    "i810"
   Card        "i810 i810"
   BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth     24

SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     1
   EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     4
   EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     8
   EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     15
   EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     16
   EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     24
      Modes    "1024x768" "800x600"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

I may not have time to post my log right now, but if I have time after I eat and shower, before I go to work, I will. (I'm putting them on a floppy and posting this on Win-doze, so I have to add in all the carriage returns.)
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head the VertRefresh numbers seem completely wrong.
From what I see on the net the Pavilion V50 monitor is a 15" CRT monitor with 28 dot pitch.
The horizontal numbers seem ok.

The max. resolution is 1024x768@60Hz/48.4Khz
800x600@85Hz/53.7Khz.

First adjust those settings from your current 50-120.
Try these settings instead

HorizSync 28-50
VertRefresh 43-75
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidgurvich wrote:
Off the top of my head the VertRefresh numbers seem completely wrong....Try these settings instead

HorizSync 28-50
VertRefresh 43-75

The HP website explicitly says the maximum refresh rate at 1024x768 is 60Hz (which is what always showed automatically in Windows Desktop Settings, too), and at 800x600 it's 85Hz. In an informational sentence, it also says, "Setting the screen resolution/refresh rate combination higher than 1024X768 at 85Hz can damage the display." They also seem to have conflicting information about the viewable image size and so forth. I got my information here and here, and in the face of the choices available, I ignored what seemed to conflict or didn't match with anything at all.

There are also a bunch of weird resolutions supported that I've never heard of (and which I didn't include in my config file, even though there are horizontal sync and vertical refresh rates to support them, which is maybe why you think my numbers don't add up...except the 120, but leaving that alone has caused no harm). Anyway, this was the standard type of setting that matched my monitor type (and it was the only one), and it works. In fact, both problems that I posted here were solved (if you read my post prior to posting my config file). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (The driver tests for all possible resolutions and setting combinations the driver itself supports, unless I am understanding that wrong). From the log file, the driver supports the 2 modes that my monitor supports:
Code:
(**) I810(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "800x600": 50.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz

The only reason I'm not marking this "[SOLVED]" is because there are now new errors that are somehow related to some PCI settings, possibly memory-related also (I really don't know). To recap, these are the errors I am dealing with now...
...On system reboot:
Quote:
Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller in slot 03
Bus:01 Device 0A Function 00
...I press 'F2' to continue with bootup and, after a long delay while the system attempts to start eth0 and dhcp, I get:
Quote:
Error: Problem starting services
"netmount" was not started
and I can confirm there is no networking by trying to access a webpage with links.

The following post has my complete log file, but here is a summary of what it's catching: /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
Code:
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(WW) I810(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed(Cannot allocate memory)
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

Last edited by GetLinux on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:35 am; edited 6 times in total
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the log file, which was written on reboot after I posted my config file:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code:
X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.13-gentoo-r5 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux protuxtion 2.6.13-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP Thu Nov
10 01:49:11 EST 2005 i686
Build Date: 02 December 2005
   Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Dec  7 04:15:49 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr
/share/fonts/CID/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/modules"
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(II) Module ABI versions:
   X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.2
   X.Org Video Driver: 0.7
   X.Org XInput driver : 0.4
   X.Org Server Extension : 0.2
   X.Org Font Renderer : 0.4
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(II) Module bitmap: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.0.0
   Module class: X.Org Font Renderer
   ABI class: X.Org Font Renderer, version 0.4
(II) Loading font Bitmap
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
Using vt 7
(--) using VT number 7
(II) PCI: PCI scan (all values are in hex)
(II) PCI: 00:00:0: chip 8086,7120 card 0000,0000 rev 03 class 06,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:01:0: chip 8086,7121 card 8086,7123 rev 03 class 03,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:1e:0: chip 8086,2418 card 0000,0000 rev 02 class 06,04,00 hdr 01
(II) PCI: 00:1f:0: chip 8086,2410 card 0000,0000 rev 02 class 06,01,00 hdr 80
(II) PCI: 00:1f:1: chip 8086,2411 card 8086,2411 rev 02 class 01,01,80 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:1f:2: chip 8086,2412 card 8086,2412 rev 02 class 0c,03,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:1f:3: chip 8086,2413 card 8086,2413 rev 02 class 0c,05,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:1f:5: chip 8086,2415 card 8086,5643 rev 02 class 04,01,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 01:08:0: chip 11c1,044e card 1235,044e rev 00 class 07,80,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 01:0a:0: chip 1186,1300 card 1186,1301 rev 10 class 02,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: End of PCI scan
(II) Host-to-PCI bridge:
(II) Bus 0: bridge is at (0:0:0), (0,0,1), BCTRL: 0x0008 (VGA_EN is set)
(II) Bus 0 I/O range:
   [0] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x0000ffff (0x10000) IX[B]
(II) Bus 0 non-prefetchable memory range:
   [0] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0xffffffff (0x0) MX[B]
(II) Bus 0 prefetchable memory range:
(II) PCI-to-PCI bridge:
(II) Bus 1: bridge is at (0:30:0), (0,1,1), BCTRL: 0x0006 (VGA_EN is cleared)
(II) Bus 1 I/O range:
   [0] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [1] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x000024ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [2] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [3] -1   0   0x00002c00 - 0x00002cff (0x100) IX[B]
(II) Bus 1 non-prefetchable memory range:
   [0] -1   0   0xf4100000 - 0xf41fffff (0x100000) MX[B]
(II) PCI-to-ISA bridge:
(II) Bus -1: bridge is at (0:31:0), (0,-1,-1), BCTRL: 0x0008 (VGA_EN is set)
(--) PCI:*(0:1:0) Intel Corp. 82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] rev 3, Mem @ 0xf8000000/26, 0xf4000000/19
(II) Addressable bus resource ranges are
   [1] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x0000ffff (0x10000) IX[B]
(II) OS-reported resource ranges:
   [0] -1   0   0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) MX[B](B)
   [1] -1   0   0x00100000 - 0x3fffffff (0x3ff00000) MX[B]E(B)
   [2] -1   0   0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[B]
   [3] -1   0   0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[B]
   [4] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[B]
   [5] -1   0   0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
   [6] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
(II) Active PCI resource ranges:
   [0] -1   0   0xf4100400 - 0xf41004ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [1] -1   0   0xf4000000 - 0xf407ffff (0x80000) MX[B](B)
   [2] -1   0   0xf8000000 - 0xfbffffff (0x4000000) MX[B](B)
   [3] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [4] -1   0   0x00001300 - 0x0000133f (0x40) IX[B]
   [5] -1   0   0x00001200 - 0x000012ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [6] -1   0   0x000010b0 - 0x000010bf (0x10) IX[B]
   [7] -1   0   0x00001080 - 0x0000109f (0x20) IX[B]
   [8] -1   0   0x000010a0 - 0x000010af (0x10) IX[B]
(II) Inactive PCI resource ranges:
   [0] -1   0   0xf4100000 - 0xf41000ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [1] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [2] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x00002407 (0x8) IX[B]
(II) Active PCI resource ranges after removing overlaps:
   [0] -1   0   0xf4100400 - 0xf41004ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [1] -1   0   0xf4000000 - 0xf407ffff (0x80000) MX[B](B)
   [2] -1   0   0xf8000000 - 0xfbffffff (0x4000000) MX[B](B)
   [3] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [4] -1   0   0x00001300 - 0x0000133f (0x40) IX[B]
   [5] -1   0   0x00001200 - 0x000012ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [6] -1   0   0x000010b0 - 0x000010bf (0x10) IX[B]
   [7] -1   0   0x00001080 - 0x0000109f (0x20) IX[B]
   [8] -1   0   0x000010a0 - 0x000010af (0x10) IX[B]
(II) Inactive PCI resource ranges after removing overlaps:
   [0] -1   0   0xf4100000 - 0xf41000ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [1] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [2] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x00002407 (0x8) IX[B]
(II) OS-reported resource ranges after removing overlaps with PCI:
   [5] -1   0   0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
   [6] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
(II) All system resource ranges:
   [5] -1   0   0xf4100400 - 0xf41004ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [6] -1   0   0xf4000000 - 0xf407ffff (0x80000) MX[B](B)
   [7] -1   0   0xf8000000 - 0xfbffffff (0x4000000) MX[B](B)
   [8] -1   0   0xf4100000 - 0xf41000ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [9] -1   0   0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
   [10] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [11] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [12] -1   0   0x00001300 - 0x0000133f (0x40) IX[B]
   [13] -1   0   0x00001200 - 0x000012ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [14] -1   0   0x000010b0 - 0x000010bf (0x10) IX[B]
   [15] -1   0   0x00001080 - 0x0000109f (0x20) IX[B]
   [16] -1   0   0x000010a0 - 0x000010af (0x10) IX[B]
   [17] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [18] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x00002407 (0x8) IX[B]
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/librecord.a
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.13.0
   Module class: X.Org Server Extension
   ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.2
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libextmod.a
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension SHAPE
(II) Loading extension MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
(II) Loading extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Loading extension SYNC
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XC-MISC
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-Misc
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension TOG-CUP
(II) Loading extension Extended-Visual-Information
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libdbe.a
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading sub module "drm"
(II) LoadModule: "drm"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/linux/libdrm.a
(II) Module drm: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading sub module "GLcore"
(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
(II) Module GLcore: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "xtrap"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libxtrap.a
(II) Module xtrap: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension DEC-XTRAP
(II) LoadModule: "freetype"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.so
(II) Module freetype: vendor="X.Org Foundation & the After X-TT Project"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 2.1.0
(II) Loading font FreeType
(II) LoadModule: "type1"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/fonts/libtype1.a
(II) Module type1: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.0.2
(II) Loading font Type1
(II) Loading font CID
(II) LoadModule: "i810"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o
(II) Module i810: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.3.0
   Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
   ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.o
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
   ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) I810: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810, i810-dc100,
   i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:01:0
(**) Chipset override: i810
(**) Chipset i810 found
(II) resource ranges after xf86ClaimFixedResources() call:
   [9] -1   0   0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
   [10] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [11] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [12] -1   0   0x00001300 - 0x0000133f (0x40) IX[B]
   [13] -1   0   0x00001200 - 0x000012ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [14] -1   0   0x000010b0 - 0x000010bf (0x10) IX[B]
   [15] -1   0   0x00001080 - 0x0000109f (0x20) IX[B]
   [16] -1   0   0x000010a0 - 0x000010af (0x10) IX[B]
   [17] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [18] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x00002407 (0x8) IX[B]
(II) resource ranges after probing:
   [9] 0   0   0x000a0000 - 0x000affff (0x10000) MS[B]
   [10] 0   0   0x000b0000 - 0x000b7fff (0x8000) MS[B]
   [11] 0   0   0x000b8000 - 0x000bffff (0x8000) MS[B]
   [12] -1   0   0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
   [13] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [14] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [15] -1   0   0x00001300 - 0x0000133f (0x40) IX[B]
   [16] -1   0   0x00001200 - 0x000012ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [17] -1   0   0x000010b0 - 0x000010bf (0x10) IX[B]
   [18] -1   0   0x00001080 - 0x0000109f (0x20) IX[B]
   [19] -1   0   0x000010a0 - 0x000010af (0x10) IX[B]
   [20] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [21] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x00002407 (0x8) IX[B]
   [22] 0   0   0x000003b0 - 0x000003bb (0xc) IS[B]
   [23] 0   0   0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS[B]
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 0.1.0
(**) I810(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 24
(==) I810(0): RGB weight 888
(==) I810(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(II) Loading sub module "xaa"
(II) LoadModule: "xaa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libxaa.a
(II) Module xaa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.2.0
(**) I810(0): DRI is disabled because it runs only at 16-bit depth.
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
(II) LoadModule: "vbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libvbe.a
(II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.1.0
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) I810(0): initializing int10
(II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) I810(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 1024 kB
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM: Intel(R) 8xx Chipset Video BIOS
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 4.1
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: Intel Corporation
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: Intel(R) 8xx Chipset
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Hardware Version 0.0
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 1 sec.
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed
(**) I810(0): Chipset: "i810"
(--) I810(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xF8000000
(--) I810(0): IO registers at addr 0xF4000000
(II) I810(0): I810CheckAvailableMemory: 267260k available
(==) I810(0): Will alloc AGP framebuffer: 8192 kByte
(==) I810(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) I810(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 31.50-48.50 kHz
(II) I810(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-120.00 Hz
(II) I810(0): Clock range:   9.50 to 136.00 MHz
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "320x175" (bad mode lock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "320x200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "360x200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "400x300" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "400x300" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (unknown reason)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1792x1344" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "896x672" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1792x1344" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "896x672" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1856x1392" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "928x696" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1856x1392" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "928x696" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "832x624" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "416x312" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "576x384" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1600x1024" (hsync out of range)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "800x512" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (insufficient memory for mode)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using default mode "1152x768" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) I810(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
(**) I810(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "1024x768"   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
(**) I810(0): *Default mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "800x600"   49.50  800 816 896 1056  600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "800x600": 50.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "800x600"   50.00  800 856 976 1040  600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "800x600"   40.00  800 840 968 1056  600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "800x600": 36.0 MHz, 35.2 kHz, 56.2 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "800x600"   36.00  800 824 896 1024  600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "640x480": 36.0 MHz, 43.3 kHz, 85.0 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "640x480"   36.00  640 696 752 832  480 481 484 509 -hsync -vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "640x480"   31.50  640 656 720 840  480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 72.8 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "640x480"   31.50  640 664 704 832  480 489 491 520 -hsync -vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "640x480"   25.20  640 656 752 800  480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "720x400": 35.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.0 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "720x400"   35.50  720 756 828 936  400 401 404 446 -hsync +vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "640x400": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.1 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "640x400"   31.50  640 672 736 832  400 401 404 445 -hsync +vsync
(**) I810(0):  Default mode "640x350": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 85.1 Hz
(II) I810(0): Modeline "640x350"   31.50  640 672 736 832  350 382 385 445 +hsync -vsync
(==) I810(0): DPI set to (75, 75)
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libfb.a
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.2
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/libramdac.a
(II) Module ramdac: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 0.1.0
(II) I810(0): XvMC is Disabled: use XvMCSurfaces config option to enable.
(==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) do I need RAC?  No, I don't.
(II) resource ranges after preInit:
   [0] 0   0   0xf4000000 - 0xf407ffff (0x80000) MS[B]
   [1] 0   0   0xf8000000 - 0xfbffffff (0x4000000) MS[B]
   [2] -1   0   0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) MX[B](B)
   [3] -1   0   0x00100000 - 0x3fffffff (0x3ff00000) MX[B]E(B)
   [4] -1   0   0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[B]
   [5] -1   0   0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[B]
   [6] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[B]
   [7] -1   0   0xf4100400 - 0xf41004ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [8] -1   0   0xf4000000 - 0xf407ffff (0x80000) MX[B](B)
   [9] -1   0   0xf8000000 - 0xfbffffff (0x4000000) MX[B](B)
   [10] -1   0   0xf4100000 - 0xf41000ff (0x100) MX[B]
   [11] 0   0   0x000a0000 - 0x000affff (0x10000) MS[B](OprD)
   [12] 0   0   0x000b0000 - 0x000b7fff (0x8000) MS[B](OprD)
   [13] 0   0   0x000b8000 - 0x000bffff (0x8000) MS[B](OprD)
   [14] -1   0   0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
   [15] -1   0   0x00000000 - 0x000000ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [16] -1   0   0x00002800 - 0x000028ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [17] -1   0   0x00001300 - 0x0000133f (0x40) IX[B]
   [18] -1   0   0x00001200 - 0x000012ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [19] -1   0   0x000010b0 - 0x000010bf (0x10) IX[B]
   [20] -1   0   0x00001080 - 0x0000109f (0x20) IX[B]
   [21] -1   0   0x000010a0 - 0x000010af (0x10) IX[B]
   [22] -1   0   0x00002000 - 0x000020ff (0x100) IX[B]
   [23] -1   0   0x00002400 - 0x00002407 (0x8) IX[B]
   [24] 0   0   0x000003b0 - 0x000003bb (0xc) IS[B](OprU)
   [25] 0   0   0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS[B](OprU)
(==) I810(0): Write-combining range (0xf8000000,0x4000000)
(II) I810(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
(II) I810(0): Setting dot clock to 65.0 MHz [ 0x3f 0xa 0x30 ] [ 65 12 3 ]
(II) I810(0): chose watermark 0x22214000: (tab.freq 65.0)
(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 0 at 0x00000000 (pgoffset 0)
(WW) I810(0): xf86AllocateGARTMemory: allocation of 1024 pages failed(Cannot allocate memory)
(II) I810(0): No physical memory available for 4194304 bytes of DCACHE
(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 1 at 0x00800000 (pgoffset 2048)
(II) I810(0): Allocated of 4096 bytes for HW cursor
(II) I810(0): xf86BindGARTMemory: bind key 2 at 0x00801000 (pgoffset 2049)
(II) I810(0): Allocated of 16384 bytes for ARGB HW cursor
(II) I810(0): Adding 512 scanlines for pixmap caching
(II) I810(0): Allocated Scratch Memory
(II) I810(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
   Screen to screen bit blits
   Solid filled rectangles
   8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
   Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
   Solid Horizontal and Vertical Lines
   Offscreen Pixmaps
   Setting up tile and stipple cache:
      16 128x128 slots
      4 256x256 slots
(==) I810(0): Backing store disabled
(==) I810(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) I810(0): Direct rendering disabled
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons"
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(**) Mouse0: SmartScroll: 1
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
(II) I810(0): Setting dot clock to 49.5 MHz [ 0x1f 0x6 0x30 ] [ 33 8 3 ]
(II) I810(0): chose watermark 0x22111000: (tab.freq 49.5)
(II) I810(0): Setting dot clock to 65.0 MHz [ 0x3f 0xa 0x30 ] [ 65 12 3 ]
(II) I810(0): chose watermark 0x22214000: (tab.freq 65.0)
(II) I810(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 0
(II) I810(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1
(II) I810(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 2

davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look to me like you have an X or kde problem there. I think you should start another post about the networking issues. Do you have PnP OS set to NO in your BIOS? You might try setting it to yes. Also, do you have ACPI enabled or disabled? If enabled in the kernel, you can disable when booting the kernel. If not enabled that might be your problem.

Also what kind of network card, and what modules are loaded?
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll start a new post...but the funny thing is this only happened after changing my xorg.conf file...I think it's possibly there may be a memory overlap somewhere or something, because I've heard of that happening with some video cards. I've even seen it mentioned that you should turn off MTTR with some video cards, but I don't know if/why this would be needed and the consequences of turning it off.

Re: the PCI setting in my xorg.conf file:
Code:
(BusID       "PCI:0:1:0" )
I'm sorry, I thought this setting wasn't there before, and it appears that it has, or at least it was there before using xorgcfg -textmode. It's in the backed-up config file generated by xorg -config, which didn't solve my KDE problems, either. But I don't know if this was on my system before I rebuilt my toolchain...I didn't back up the xorg.conf from the old system because it didn't work right (the KDE problems) so I didn't have a reason to save it. I wasn't getting the PCI resource conflict before and that's why I think this may be a wrong setting in Xorg.conf...Linux automatically detected my network card the first time I installed Gentoo as well as when I rebuilt the tool chain, because I didn't get the network error on reboot after rebuilding the toolchain, only after re-configuring X.

On the other hand, this happens on reboot, not on starting X, so I can see your point...

However, the error about not being to allocate memory (1024 pages) has always been there...so I've had a memory allocation problem of some sort all along. Network card:
D-Link Realtek Ethernet card, RTL8139 (rev 10)

***** OK, so don't answer it here, I'll start a new post *****
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with the combination of Realtek 8139 and nvidia video. I recall having to disable ACPI before it would work reliably with some kernels.
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the i810 driver, not nvidia, but thanks...so it's interesting, then, to note, that video drivers can cause problems with your Ethernet. Nevertheless, since the original problems posted here are solved, see my new post in the "Networking & Security" section regarding my Ethernet card. I posted more input there, anything else I should post?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: