Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Unsolved] Remote Winfast TV 2000 XP Expert (cx8800)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: [Unsolved] Remote Winfast TV 2000 XP Expert (cx8800) Reply with quote

I'm trying to get lirc to work with a WinFast TV 2000 XP card and its remote control. After loads of Googling and searching the forums I concluded I prolly need the GPIO driver to get this to work.
However when I try to do:
Code:
LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=gpio" emerge lirc

It tells me this driver is not suitable for my system... I'd like to know how the script decides that because according to me it is the right driver after all.

Anyhow, I tried grabbing the package from the distfiles directory and installing it by hand. I used the setup to set my driver and ran the make commands (I altered Makefile so it would use /usr instead of /usr/local as prefix).

However, when I try to insert the module and I get some errors in dmesg:
Code:
lirc_gpio: Unknown symbol bttv_read_gpio
lirc_gpio: Unknown symbol bttv_get_cardinfo
lirc_gpio: Unknown symbol bttv_get_gpio_queue
lirc_gpio: Unknown symbol bttv_write_gpio
lirc_gpio: Unknown symbol bttv_gpio_enable

I am using the cx8800 and cx88xx drivers (one of them seems to load the other)... What should I try?[/code]

Edit: see my reply below - there is a (sort of / kind of) working driver.

Last edited by Cyberwizzard on Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried building the bttv driver (couldn't find it the 1st time as I had disabled the sound - whatever) and reinserting the driver - still no avail.
The driver now complains that it couldn't autodetect the card. And even when I tell it to use card type 5 and tuner 38 (which the cx8800 driver autodetects) it only tells me the driver has allocated a buffer and that it. (So its no surprise the lirc_gpio driver says it can't detect the card as the bttv driver seems to have no clue what it is...)

Next thing that comes to mind is that I might need a lirc driver for the cx8800 driver :)
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again I tried something without any luck. I used the drivers rom my gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-rc1 to get the input support from the remote.

But still I get nothing - the ir-kbd-gpio and ir-kbd-i2c modules load quietly and then I still got nothing. I tried making evdev (as stated in some guid I found) but that doesn't help either...

Right now I'm running out of ideas here - has anyone got a clue how I can fix this?
jsosic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problems...
AFAIK, lirc does not support cx88xx yet, and EVDEV support should work if you build modules into kernel...BUT, nor menuconfig nor xconfig allows me to state cx88 driver as builtin, I can choose only module or off :(
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on - it should work if the ir-kbd-summit modules are built in? Why?

I'll try to compile in the kernel them btw...
jsosic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooo, you misunderstood me. Friend has a sa71xx based TV card, and that chipset isn't supported by LIRC just as cx88xx isn't, and he managed to get his remote working through linux Event Device, but he said that it works only when he built's in TV card drivers into kernel :(
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat :(

You're right btw, its not possible to compile the cx8800 driver into the kernel :?

Weird thing is - the writer of the drivers says to use the ir-* modules with bttv or the other one, not the cx8800 module... I'll try to mail him and ask if there are other modules for the cx88xx series...

In the meantime - I'm open to suggestions to get this thing working :)
jsosic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm half mad too.... I've overloaded google servers with cx88xx requests :( AND ZERO. I just can't accept that there's no man on this planet that has set up remote controller on cx88xx based card :(
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm getting the masked dev-sources 2.6.10-summit which should have new drivers for this card. I'm also having problems in MythTV and was told that I could get it to work using the newest kernel (or grab the vanilla 2.6.9-rc1 and patch that one)...

I'm hoping the updated driver has more clues about the remote - maybe it works out of the box! (yeah right ;))
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: doesn't work :(

I checked the version and its the latest one... In the README I saw that overlay isn't done yet which might explain why the card doesn't work in MythTV but not a word on the remote...

I also checked the source from the drivers and I don't see anything about infrared remotes in there as well :'(

Shouldn't the bttv driver work as well??

[edit] The expert card uses the cx8800 chip, the deluxe the btxxx driver so i really need the cx8800

Last edited by Cyberwizzard on Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate kicking but this will be the last post for now...

I got a reaction by email from the author of the cx8800 drivers. The drivers are in development right now and so far hes been working on the drivers themselves.

So no overlay support, no remote support - it should be coming eventually but for now its not possible to get the remote of a cx8800 card to work.
So my Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP Expert can't be used with its own remote :(

I've settled for an old RealMagic Remote with its receiver I had somewhere in my pile of old hardware and its working fine.

I hope to get the remote of the card to work some day but for now all I can do is wait...

(For the record: the current release of the drivers is 0.0.4 and can be found at www.bytesex.org - also the current cvs version is not done)
navegante
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/printthread.php?t=1883

somebody test it???
KDE registered user: #2655 | Linux registered user: #404918
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news: the new snapshot releases of the cx88 driver support the remote! My WinFast 2000XP Expert is correctly detected, seems to partially work in MythTV (YAY) and the remote is detected. Now I have to figure out how to 'catch' the keystrokes and map them to buttons as the default behaviour is to send the buttons as keystrokes. Only problem is; I don't know which keystrokes (I see some strange characters appear on the console and some messages in dmesg when i start hitting buttons).

Note however that the current version does NOT work under 2.6.11 as of yet: some functions in the kernel have changed and the release won't compile - I tested it with 2.6.10 vanilla and it works... sorta...

If someone has suggestions how to remap the keystrokes, let me know. Or at least a way to make them visible would be a good start :)
navegante
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you compiled your kernel? You used lirc?
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I left the video4linux stuff on when compiling but you might as well leave it off as te snapshot from bytesex.org has the new modules. After modprobing cx8800 you'll have a list of loaded modules if you check with lsmod you'll see all the loaded modules, including ir-common.

Now check the dmesg output, it should state that a remote is found. When you press a key (try the sleep key on the winfast remote, it should display a ~ when you hit the button) on the console.
navegante
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand, I use gentoo-dev-sources, deactivate video4linux of kernel, but as I compile snapshot, nonencounter none readme that shows like doing it. You could say to me like doing it, that scripts I execute, sorry I do not speak english. Thanks.

Quote:
Q: How can I use the infrared remote shipped with the tv card ?

In the 2.6 kernels the remote simply is registered as keyboard input device within the linux input layer. When using the saa7134 driver it "just works", with bttv you'll have to load either ir-kbd-gpio or ir-kbd-i2c depending on your TV card. If in doubt just try both. Have a look at the /proc/bus/input/devices file to see whenever the device is present or not.

BTW: starting with 2.6.5 the standard kernel includes a input driver for ATI USB remotes as well which works the same way.

With the driver loaded the IR just works like a additional keyboard. The numbers are mapped to the keypad keys. Depending on the X-Servers keyboard configuration (try to pick a multimedia keyboard) other keys like the ones for volume control might work too.

With in-depth knowledge of the X-Servers xkb extention if should be possible to get all keys working. I can't help with that through, sorry.
Q: But I want use lircd for IR input.

No problem, you can do that too:

1. Get a recent lircd version with linux input layer support. The 0.6.6 release is too old, a cvs snapshot or a 0.7 pre-release should do. You only need to build the lircd daemon + tools, no lirc kernel drivers needed. Take care that the dev/input driver is included when building lircd (either ./configure --with-driver=any to simply include all drivers or --with-driver=devinput).
2. Load the evdev module (which is part of the linux input layer). Check /proc/bus/input/devices to see which eventn device the IR input device has.
3. Fetch the lircd.conf file for the linux input layer.
4. Start the daemon this way:
/usr/sbin/lircd -H dev/input -d /dev/input/eventn.

That's it.

Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get to the point where I am now forget the manual.

Extract the snapshot to a directory, take 'video4linux'' for example. Run 'make', this will build all the modules, you shouldn't get any errors, perhaps 1 or 2 warnings but it should keep going. When its done, run 'make install'. The script will now copy the new modules to your active kernel module directory.

Now you can run 'modprobe cx8800' and all the modules should be loaded.

Note that you should do all of this as root :)
idunno246
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it working too!
so, the numbers work, mute, and play/pause. The rest...i guess I could bind them to keys in lineakd...
some of the keys dont show up in xev, but they do have codes according to showkey, how do i assign them values so X recognizes them?
Cyberwizzard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what my problem was at this point :) But it seems you have found some programs to map the keys. I'll keep looking into it, if someone figures this one out let me/us know :)
navegante
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could stick its configuration of kernel, They use i2c of kernel, greetings.
navegante
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now detect :P, with kernel:
Code:
$ uname -r
2.6.12-gentoo-r4

See too, http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Remote_controllers
bennyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a leadtek winfast 2000 xp expert. MythTV works out fine, however, the TV quality is although viewable, but crappy. Is there any workaround one this issue?
modprobe bttv and cx8800 automatically detects my card correctly.
The only issue is the bad tv quality and remote.

p.s this card works great under windows environment, so I assume there isn't any hardware related problems.

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: