2Qs: TV Support & What filesystem for shared Media Partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angryguy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: 2Qs: TV Support & What filesystem for shared Media Parti Reply with quote

I just bought a spare 120GB HD on the bf sales, which I plan on using primarily for storing my media files.

Currently, I've been doing all of my media stuff under windows (really just a lot of experimentation), however I want to try and experiment with the linux media programs (DVD-authoring/burning/video-editing) as well. The problem is, I have no idea how to share the media files between linux and windows - most likely I will be working with at least some of those files in both OS, and that's often after transferring it to my AMD-64 system over the network after capturing it from a TV-tuner card on my other system.

I have a smaller FAT32 partition for sharing smaller files between Windows and Linux, however that obviously won't work when dealing with large media files that exceed the max FAT32 file size.

Q1: Does anyone else here routinely share large files between OS? And if so, what file system do you use? (Transferring multi-gig files back and forth on the network can't be the best solution, even with multiple multi-boot systems) Ideally, if there were a single file system, that supports large files, and that both Linux and Windows can read&write to, there wouldn't be a problem, but as far as I know, no such thing exists yet.

[off-topic:] I'm still trying to decide where I'm going to install that drive as well. I can either take the easy approach and install it on the AMD64 computer and use the entire drive for media/data storage, although I think most of that space would go to waste. Alternatively, I'm thinking of Ghosting my other systems 40GB XP drive onto a partition on the new one, and swap the drives - giving me an extra 40 GB drive for media on my AMD64 system (size I originally wanted), and leaving me an extra 80 GB to partition on my old system for adding Linux (if I can get the TV-tuner & remote fully working under it) and storing captured media files. Captured media files meaning both higher-quality MPEG-2 captures for transferring to DVD, and MPEG-4 video for the PVR features. Anyway, I'll prolly be thinking about this for a while until I have the time to do anything more then testing that the drive works . . .

Q2: If I take the latter approach, will Gentoo support all of the TV-features on the old system (specs in sig.), including the ATI Remote? I use that system primarily as a TV, so if the Tuner and remote don't work, I'm not going to be able to get a lot of usage out of a linux installation on there. If I can though, then I'll also try to configure it as a file server of some sort (I've got 2 desktops and a laptop, and get's getting chaotic keeping track of where my various files/settings are stored).

Thanks.
120GB WD HD
MSI Geforce 6600GT Vid-Card
Gentoo, WinXp, Winx64

Dell system:
ATI Radeon AIW 9000Pro Vid-Card
40 GB + 20 GB HDs
Pentium 3 933 mHz, 384 MB RAM
Win XP, WinMe
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are free windows drivers for ext2. Havent tried them (no windows here since win2k service pack 3, doing many video work), but they are said to work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: