G5 arch keyword PPC or PPC64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbig4545
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: G5 arch keyword PPC or PPC64? Reply with quote

I have a New(ish) iMac G5 (not the one with the camera, the one before that one) now im wondering should i compile as PPC or PPC64, the reason i ask is that i currently use PPC64 and loads of stuff is unavailable or just doesn't work, so im wondering if using regular PPC as the arch keyword would be a better option, I mean are there any bonuses with using PPC64, as i no that Mac Os X is only 32bit with 64bit extensions. What do you reckon? Is it worth a try or should i just hang on till there is better PPC64 support?

Thank you

Mark
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with ppc. You won't notice anything for most practical purposes.
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I read mrbig's question, I immediately wondered if it would be practical and worth the trouble of using PPC64 for the everyday stuff and use a chroot 32-bit environment for the other stuff like the AMD64 people used to do.
jaspal kallar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurking around on "#gentoo-ppc64" then I gather that 64 bit is the way to go although some packages (eg Openoffice and firefox) are not going to compile with 64 bit ppc. However, I gather one can have pure 64 bit ppc and multilib (which allows 32 bit ppc packages to reside with 64bit pcc). Again, I would recommend getting onto "#gentoo-ppc64" to see how far this multilib has come.

I have 32 bit ppc userland (need firefox and openoffice since looking for jobs) and a 64 bit ppc kernel (since that was the only way I could get my first generation powermac G5's onboard sound to work).

Some people on "#gentoo-ppc64" also have 64 bit ppc and chroot 32-bit environment.

/Jaspal.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: