View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marctraider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive emerged kde 3.5 (kde-meta) fine. all works fine, but when i got back from school i couldnt start anything anymore, it tells me 'klauncher could not connect to dcop' or something...

It seems to me something crashed, my C/CXXFLAGS are safe, and i dont know whats going on :?

I remember having the same probs on 3.5 beta's but im not certain...
Please help!
GPU: HD2600XT
SATA: 3x 250GB.
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3.5 running. Everything went very smooth. Congrats to the KDE team. It runs alot quicker, more fluent.

As far as I've seen, it really isn't a major change. I haven't seen anything remarkable when it comes to design and such. Alittle rearranging of the start menu short cuts, and that's about it.
Fuel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running 3.5 here succesfully (on amd64) for the few days it's been out.

Only noticed some minor bugs with the new kopete.

I had to do a rm -rf ~/.kde* in order to fix some minor issues. (Removing the symlink .kde->.kde3.4 might fix this too)

This new version seems to be a little faster & overall better response.
kinkozmasta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried upgrading to 3.5 from 3.4.3 but it seems that none of my settings were imported. The configuration wizard poped up on first login, Kmail settings gone, Konqueror settings gone, etc. etc...

Can any one lend a hand?

running amd64 version on an X2 4400+
Marctraider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel wrote:

I had to do a rm -rf ~/.kde* in order to fix some minor issues. (Removing the symlink .kde->.kde3.4 might fix this too)

I agree, its quite a little more responsive yeah, well removing your old config from previous kde works better often... :lol:
GPU: HD2600XT
SATA: 3x 250GB.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel wrote:

What kind of problems? Anything you couldn't have fixed otherwise?

If there's one thing I hate, it's reconfiguring everything. Deleting the configfiles is fixing with a crowbar. In my opinion, the KDE devs should make new versions aware of older configs, so they can be converted. But, perhaps they already did that, because after a new KDE, I get those .kde backup dirs.
punta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having this problem here:

* Found sources for kernel version:
* 2.6.12-vs2.0-gentoo-r1

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/hal-0.5.5.1 failed.
!!! Function pkg_setup, Line 48, Exitcode 1
!!! You need a 2.6.13 or newer kernel to run this package

I need to use vs sources :(, is there any workaround for this?
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

punta wrote:
I am having this problem here:

* Found sources for kernel version:
* 2.6.12-vs2.0-gentoo-r1

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/hal-0.5.5.1 failed.
!!! Function pkg_setup, Line 48, Exitcode 1
!!! You need a 2.6.13 or newer kernel to run this package

I need to use vs sources :(, is there any workaround for this?

Just upgrade your kernel....
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@punta:
Code:
echo "kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves -hal" >> /etc/portage/package.use
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corey_s wrote:
opqdan wrote:
You could go through the arduous task of adding each package to package.keywords, or you could simply wait till it is unmasked (hopefully soon?).

It's really not too difficult:

Code:

# cd /usr/portage

Code:

# for ebuild in kde-base/*; do echo "${ebuild} ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords; done

Code:

# for ebuild in kde-base/*; do echo ">=${ebuild}-3.5_beta1" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask; done

I am inclined to do this. But its been so long since Ive gotten a new version of KDE ive forgotten how to do it.
I know they have done something retarded about split packages so you have to emerge kicker and kdesktop seperately. (etc.)
How does one just pull in everything?
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge kde-meta
or
emerge kdebase-meta, kdenetwork-meta, kdemultimedia-meta, ............
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar wrote:
@punta:
Code:
echo "kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves -hal" >> /etc/portage/package.use

Is that wise? HAL offers some handy features, I wouldn't suggest disabling it.
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know as I don't use it (I have a default policy of disabled USE flags and I never seemed to need hal yet).
What kind of features does hal give you?
Riklaunim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE 3.5 some splitted ebuilds works - on 32 ans 64bits :) but the new Kate is weird.

1. kate starts with filelist at the left: http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/b6c4nqnt9ahuobau.html
how can I make kate start without the list (minimalized)
2. each file clicked in konqueror is opened in a new Kate. I want all in one Kate like in 3.4 :/

I've checked the configs and I couldn't find any options for it.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal gives automatic generation of devices in /media and in the media:/ menu in Konquerer. Insert a USB-stick, and a mountpoint appears, with it's name being the label of the usb-drive. Perhaps it also does more. After all, it's called "hardware abstraction layer", so it can probably abstract more hardware.
Fuel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:

What kind of problems? Anything you couldn't have fixed otherwise?

If there's one thing I hate, it's reconfiguring everything. Deleting the configfiles is fixing with a crowbar. In my opinion, the KDE devs should make new versions aware of older configs, so they can be converted. But, perhaps they already did that, because after a new KDE, I get those .kde backup dirs.

The main problem was with kopete, not showing any contacts on my list.
Other problems that made some things look strange.

Im sure I could have fixed it, but I find it less time-consuming making a new fresh install than looking around in config files.
Also I removed my .kde to make sure that any bug that might show up would be a "real" bug and not something caused by "old settings".

I think it's possible that they do, a friend of mine removed the .kde symlink and his old settings got copied over to a new .kde3.5 dir. But in the end he had to remove the config aswell.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn't go along with the "auto update" of your configs from 3.4 -> 3.5, you'll just have more problems that spending the time to adjust your settings again. Save your email, you knotes, your addressbook files, save everything even but don't save them in a directory named ~/.kde3.* or whatever the backup directory is named now. Any of these directories get detected when your new kde starts for the first time and it will copy them to the current ~/.kde3.5 directory and once your system starts you'll have a mix of config files, and probably most critical the temp files that may or may not get rebuilt.

It might be a pain to start from a clean KDE but you will most definately have better luck with your setup this way.

Also you're asking for trouble if you switch back to a kde3.4 session under the same user name while you have 3.5 installed and ran already.
makomk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opqdan wrote:
The dbus ebuilds really confuse me as they are up to .50-r1 and nothing above .30 is unmasked. Is there a shortage of people to test them, or is there actually something odd going on?

It looks like there are various packages whose stable version doesn't work with dbus .50. For example, I ended up upgrading k3b (and possibly one or two other things) due to this a while back. emerge didn't fail, it just kept upgrading and downgrading dbus between the two versions. I'm not sure if the programs involved actually worked properly once installed, because I corrected it fairly quickly (it was getting annoying), but I'd be fairly surprised if they did.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
You really shouldn't go along with the "auto update" of your configs from 3.4 -> 3.5, you'll just have more problems that spending the time to adjust your settings again. Save your email, you knotes, your addressbook files, save everything even but don't save them in a directory named ~/.kde3.* or whatever the backup directory is named now. Any of these directories get detected when your new kde starts for the first time and it will copy them to the current ~/.kde3.5 directory and once your system starts you'll have a mix of config files, and probably most critical the temp files that may or may not get rebuilt.

It might be a pain to start from a clean KDE but you will most definately have better luck with your setup this way.

Also you're asking for trouble if you switch back to a kde3.4 session under the same user name while you have 3.5 installed and ran already.

I always used to say/think that configuring windows to suit my needs was an excercise in futility, because you had to reïnstall it after a while anyway. I feel the same about KDE settings. I personlise a lot of stuff. Data is not important, my email is on a local IMAP-server, my addressbook on a local LDAP-server, I rather use textfiles for notes, etc. It's just all the effort of making everything as I want it.

I'll backup my old .kde dir, but pigheaded as I am, I'm gonna try running KDE with my current config first.

Any data is recoverable BTW, I do an rdiff-backup backup of my /home everyday, with a retention time of 30 days.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:

I'll backup my old .kde dir, but pigheaded as I am, I'm gonna try running KDE with my current config first.

Just tried that here, hit some problems - then thought stuff it, removed the .kde dir's . Bit of pain for a little while setting everything back up, but it's running smoothly and a lot faster (IMHO) than 3.4
I love++ gentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've been skimming through this thread and I see a lot of information. What I would like to suggest, or ask even, is this: can someone possibly try and put together a comprehensive upgrade howto? From what I see here, there are a lot of really great points being made, but I for one don't want to go ahead and do this without something substantial in front of me that I can check back to. I've never done this before and really really don't want to render my computer inoperable for some noob reason. I am conent with 3.4, it's awesome, but man I wanna check out 3.5! I noticed a few things from earlier posts, and the main gentoo page as well... would you suggest I wait until I have gcc 3.4 and the new X (btw that is a raw release like KDE right?)? I was thinking about rebuilding everything over christmas break anyway (I don't run emerge -uDav world very often) so I think now is a good time to make the upgrade to 3.5.
bombcar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not create a new emerge --accept-unstable option that will write the correct line to /etc/portage/package.*?
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love++ gentoo wrote:
Ok, so I've been skimming through this thread and I see a lot of information. What I would like to suggest, or ask even, is this: can someone possibly try and put together a comprehensive upgrade howto? From what I see here, there are a lot of really great points being made, but I for one don't want to go ahead and do this without something substantial in front of me that I can check back to. I've never done this before and really really don't want to render my computer inoperable for some noob reason. I am conent with 3.4, it's awesome, but man I wanna check out 3.5! I noticed a few things from earlier posts, and the main gentoo page as well... would you suggest I wait until I have gcc 3.4 and the new X (btw that is a raw release like KDE right?)? I was thinking about rebuilding everything over christmas break anyway (I don't run emerge -uDav world very often) so I think now is a good time to make the upgrade to 3.5.

3.5 is slotted so 3.4 + 3.5 should live together (although you may hit a few issues with the .kde config settings). I've got gcc3.4, I'm not using the new modular X (if you want that you'll have to wait a few months (I guess) for it to hit x86).

If you want to upgrade, back everything up first, setup GCC 3.4 + toolchain first. Early days here, but 3.5 seems fine.
maigret
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed my first KDE 3.5 yesterday; looks very good, beautiful peace of software getting always better. But:
- Konqueror still crash on www.digg.com (I believe 3.4 too but not 3.2)
- My console font never appear correctly when konsole is loaded as part of a session. When I start a konsole from kicker, everything is perfect (even when starting as a new tab inside console). Then I close KDE; when I reopen KDE my consoles open all automaticaly but with a strange font courrier.
- Konqueror don't allow me to take any other name for my wallet; I have to let it set as 'kdewallet'
- When opening konqueror it doesn't put the focus on the address bar. So sad I have to click to enter my url... I'm a mouse hater! (well, actually not really, but...)
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei
Did you use split builds?
How about trouble with emerging kdenetwork?
What version of qt?
Mvh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: