View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: (__DEPRECATED__)CONRAD Lucky Installation Script(s) RC#3 Reply with quote

DEPRECATED FOR 1.0.x RELEASES
See here...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-411116.html
-----
Conrad Gentoo Projects presents...
The CONRAD Lucky Installation Script(s) RC3.
This is the FINAL Release Canidate!
-----
VERSION 1.0 COMING ON 12/9/05! (Friday) / !TODAY!
Version 1.0 - Coming Soon/Changes planned
* Xorg.conf automatic creation option - (KNOPPIX config creation/mkxf86config)
* Xorg 6.9_cvs/rc option added again (from nxsty) (with xft.pc fix!)
* Xorg 7.0_RC/Modular option NOT INCLUDED YET
(reason ^ - openmotif refuses to build for some reason when trying the modular build - will work out a way to fix)
* Stable now has option for GCC 3.4.4 upgrade (following 'real'/'Gentoo' method)
* Untable upgrade option for GCC 3.4.4 upgrade NOW follows 'real'/'Gentoo' method
* Useradd improved/fixed up
* Unstable Script re-made based from the 'stable' script
* Fixed userlocales not taking affect on stable or unstable scripts
* CONRAD Script is now based on CONRAD METHOD 0.7.0 (GCC 4.1)
* STABLE Currently has a GCC 3.4.4 upgrade option (until new tarballs are released with gcc 3.4.4 already on them)
* Fixed minor things, like color not working on kernel yes/no, useradd if not having quotes, etc.
I am planning on a --resume option for script ver: 1.5 - any more ideas for 1.0 speak up now ! :)
-----
Upgraded to RC3
* New Kernel Build Method (manually - with universal config) - NO GENKERNEL
* remove FSTAB Auto-Setup (it messes up fstab sometimes)
* Manual Kernel Build Option (Yes/No Question)
* Remove Xorg_6.9/CVS From Script (temporarily)
* Add XORG 7.0 Modular into script instead of 6.9 (xft is a problem in 6.9_cvs for some reason)
This section can cause problems on installing
Looking for a txt/simple bash script file to unmask/emerge xorg 7.0

^ It affects compiling and running firefox/thunderbird, etc ^
-The Right way-Following the Xorg modular HOWTO-
* Also improved Xorg Emerge (fonts, drivers, etc)
-Make suggestions in THIS thread for what you want to see in the FIRST Official release of the scripts-
-----
Known Problems/Resolutions - RC3
1. Dont use Unstable RC Script
2. Xorg 7.0_modular RC3 didnt want to compile for some reason (maybe say no to be safe, it may be fixed now or something)
3. Useradd will delay and tell you some invalid arguments, but just be patient, the script didnt crash when it slows down
-----
CONRAD Gentoo Projects is not associated or endorsed by the Gentoo Linux Foundation
-----
EXECUTION Options:
./lucky* -v (verbose mode)
./lucky* -b (benchmark)
./lucky* -2 (skip to part2 - !Be chrooted first!)
./lucky* -vb (verbose/benchmark)
-----
- !NOTE! - DIRECT EDITING BREAKS ALL SCRIPTS! - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EDIT THEM
Reason: You need the src, color binary, and build scripts to edit.
-----
The CONRAD Installation Scripts are a simple alternative to install Gentoo Linux (With High Optimization*)

They are built from ground-up not based off of anything - Very nice scripts that are extremely functional, and by time you are done... You will have a working Gentoo System with X/Window Manager!

These are some of the most advanced scripts of their kind - A lot of work has gone into these!

FOR REISER4...
For reiser4 (option in partioning) you NEED the Conrad Install LiveCD with reiser4 support...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-405729.html
64-bit Coming When...
64-bit scripts will be released when LiveCD 0.2.5 is released (amd64 version coming)
-----
Script 1 - Lucky-Conrad-RC3.sh
The first script is based off of the CONRAD Install Method, it includes...
* Cairo FIX for newer version of binutils (cairo-1.0.2-r1.ebuild)
* GCC 4.0.2-r1 (Explained in Conrad Method)
* Partitioning to Stage3/Portage to Extra packages option (irssi, etc) to make.conf configuration to new rebuilt world for optimization to GRUB to 4 kernel options (nitro/archck/gentoo/vanilla), Xorg_6.9cvs/USEflags/Unlimited window managers (including e17) and this particular script includes an upgrade option for GLIBC-2.3.90* (optional) It includes rc-updating, grub.conf, fstab, grub-install, you get the idea :)

Code:

Download:
http://bfgraphics.net/conrad/lucky/rc3/lucky-conrad-rc3.sh

THE SCRIPT DOES EVERYTHING - JUST PUT IT IN /mnt/gentoo AND RUN!
Instructions:
1. Download the script
2. Run "chmod +x lucky-*.sh
3. move it to /mnt/gentoo
4. cd /mnt/gentoo
5. ./lucky*
6. exit; umount /mnt/gentoo/proc; umount /mnt/gentoo/dev; umount /mnt/gentoo/boot; cd /; umount /mnt/gentoo; reboot
---Follow the script----

Script 2 - Lucky-Stable-RC3.sh
The stable script is a TRADITIONAL Gentoo Install with x86, it includes...
* GCC 3.3.6 (Part of stable x86)
* NO Package.keywords/unmask/use
* Partitioning to Stage3/Portage to Extra packages option (irssi, etc) to make.conf configuration to new rebuilt world for optimization to GRUB to 4 kernel options (nitro/archck/gentoo/vanilla), Xorg_6.9cvs/USEflags/Unlimited window managers (including e17) It includes rc-updating, grub.conf, fstab, grub-install, you get the idea :)

Code:

Download:
http://bfgraphics.net/conrad/lucky/rc3/lucky-stable-rc3.sh

THE SCRIPT DOES EVERYTHING - JUST PUT IT IN /mnt/gentoo AND RUN!
Instructions:
1. Download the script
2. Run "chmod +x lucky-*.sh
3. move it to /mnt/gentoo
4. cd /mnt/gentoo
5. ./lucky*
6. exit; umount /mnt/gentoo/proc; umount /mnt/gentoo/dev; umount /mnt/gentoo/boot; cd /; umount /mnt/gentoo; reboot
----
THE RELEASE CANIDATE OF THE UNSTABLE SCRIPT DOES NOT WORK (script error) IT SHOULD NOT BE USED UNTIL THE NEXT RELEASE!
Script 3 - Lucky-Unstable-RC3.sh
The unstable script is a TRADITIONAL Gentoo Install with ~x86, it includes...
* GCC 3.4.4 - *Correct Upgrade Method is OPTIONAL In the script* (Part of stable ~x86)
* NO Package.keywords/unmask/use
* Partitioning to Stage3/Portage to Extra packages option (irssi, etc) to make.conf configuration to new rebuilt world for optimization to GRUB to 4 kernel options (nitro/archck/gentoo/vanilla), Xorg_6.9cvs/USEflags/Unlimited window managers (including e17) It includes rc-updating, grub.conf, fstab, grub-install, you get the idea :)

Code:
Download:
http://bfgraphics.net/conrad/lucky/rc3/lucky-unstable-rc3.sh

Instructions
1. Download the script
2. Run chmod +x lucky-*
3. Move it to /mnt/gentoo
4. cd /mnt/gentoo
5. ./lucky*
----
*These may still have BUGS they are only Release Canidates*
*Please post bugs in this thread*

Scripting By:Brainiac_ghost, cheater1034, and mdshort

-----
NOTICE:
This is automated - Through the scripts, but is still an ADVANCED Install Method for Gentoo Linux.
It does not get you a gentoo system that boots up with happy alsa xorg.conf, etc - you will need to configure those things manually, as per you could in a Handbook Gentoo Installation.
-----

- ThankYou
- Conrad Development Team :)
Lost in android development land.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:13 am; edited 14 times in total
rsulli55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great :) can't wait to use it!
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super cool man!

thanks a lot. will test soon.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:

glibd-2.3.90*

w00t 8O
have i missed something :?:

:lol:
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:

glibd-2.3.90*

w00t 8O
have i missed something :?:

:lol:

Glibc 2.3.90 (nxsty's ebuild) is an available upgrade option before prelinking :)

Default is glibc-2.3.6-r1 (glibc-2.3.90 is only in conrad version)
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUG*
On the GDM question after the window manager is setup.

Resolution:
Fixed, new upload of rc2 coming soon
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*UPGRADED to RC2*
As mentioned above, bug fixes are only netmount failing to start on bootup (not fatal) and the gdm error (fatal/script aborts)

So those bugs have been fixed.
----
I also released the UNSTABLE Script, with gcc 3.4.4 (part of ~x86) and it will use kde 3.5.0 and gnome 2.12.1 (~x86) and it will use newer binutils 2.16, etc.

*GCC 3.4.4 upgrade preferred method is an option on unstable*

-Thankyou
-Cheater1034
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up with gcc 4.1.0? are you going to work on 3 scripts or are you sticking with 3.4.4 and quiting the 4.0.2 series. and i was also wondering if you looked over those cfags i sent you.. i was testing them i noticed some speed up and no loss of stability but i was wondering if you had any ideas. i gave up on trying any LDFLAGS in gcc4
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seren wrote:
whats up with gcc 4.1.0? are you going to work on 3 scripts or are you sticking with 3.4.4 and quiting the 4.0.2 series. and i was also wondering if you looked over those cfags i sent you.. i was testing them i noticed some speed up and no loss of stability but i was wondering if you had any ideas. i gave up on trying any LDFLAGS in gcc4

A beta compiler is definitely out of the question :) - Keep it newer and stable still with 4.0.2-r1, the errors are fewer, it works great.

Actually, my main focus is the Conrad version of the script, but I am maintaining all of them, because some people don't want gcc 4, and want a stable system or a ~x86 based system
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed my typo, im not using 4.1.0 either dont plan to soon. i meant 4.0.2 in that post. glad to hear your going to maintain the 4.0.2 script though.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
seren wrote:

A beta compiler is definitely out of the question :) - Keep it newer and stable still with 4.0.2-r1, the errors are fewer, it works great.

Actually, my main focus is the Conrad version of the script, but I am maintaining all of them, because some people don't want gcc 4, and want a stable system or a ~x86 based system

still wondering what you thought of the CFLAGS i sent you.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seren wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
seren wrote:

still wondering what you thought of the CFLAGS i sent you.

You are referring to these?
CFLAGS="-02 -march=pentium4 -fprofile-u
se --param ggc-min-expand=47 --param ggc-min-heapsize=32768 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ffriend-injection"

what exactly does it do setting ggc-min-expand, and ggc-min-heapsize?
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggc-min-expand
GCC uses a garbage collector to manage its own memory allocation. This parameter specifies the minimum percentage by which the garbage collector's heap should be allowed to expand between collections. Tuning this may improve compilation speed; it has no effect on code generation.

The default is 30% + 70% * (RAM/1GB) with an upper bound of 100% when RAM >= 1GB. If getrlimit is available, the notion of "RAM" is the smallest of actual RAM and RLIMIT_DATA or RLIMIT_AS. If GCC is not able to calculate RAM on a particular platform, the lower bound of 30% is used. Setting this parameter and ggc-min-heapsize to zero causes a full collection to occur at every opportunity. This is extremely slow, but can be useful for debugging.

ggc-min-heapsize
Minimum size of the garbage collector's heap before it begins bothering to collect garbage. The first collection occurs after the heap expands by ggc-min-expand% beyond ggc-min-heapsize. Again, tuning this may improve compilation speed, and has no effect on code generation.

The default is the smaller of RAM/8, RLIMIT_RSS, or a limit which tries to ensure that RLIMIT_DATA or RLIMIT_AS are not exceeded, but with a lower bound of 4096 (four megabytes) and an upper bound of 131072 (128 megabytes). If GCC is not able to calculate RAM on a particular platform, the lower bound is used. Setting this parameter very large effectively disables garbage collection. Setting this parameter and ggc-min-expand to zero causes a full collection to occur at every opportunity.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-04/msg00251.html

i was testing them with 4.1.0 and i a problem with cairo so i decided to start over and use gcc 4.0.2-r1 over all it is more stable so ill do some tests after i get emerge -e world to complete ;)
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Upgraded to RC3*
Final Release Canidate
See first post for changes.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was using rc2 as i posted in the other thread but i got some error and it crashed before pruning gcc so im using rc3 ill let you know how it does
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its very easy to fix the problem with the latest 6.9 cvs snapshot to compile firefox - you just remove 'xproto' from the requirement in xft.pc . Find / xft.pc and then edit the file as root, just remove the keyword 'xproto' and it works fine!
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was having prolems with vte not finding xft in xorg 6.9_Cvs
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc3 crashes at same exact spot. its ok though nothing bad happend the script just emerged my tool kit now its time to rebuild it with 3.4.4 selected and prune gcc 3.3.6 ill go on from their. any idea why its crashing though
it says

..Done

Executionn failure, Details above (recieved Exie code 0) theirs no details above ;)

theirs nothing above though
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc3 is not working at all im thinking it maybe because of the switch of gcc 3.4.4 to stable and im using the unstable?? kind of not logical stable compiler in a unstable script? i dont know but ive used the same script twice and i cant get a error message but it just wants to quit at where it would emerge -e system then from their it would go on to the abyss of xord 7 and gnome and the whole bunch. i think im going to retire my testing of this because i cant get any support or feedback from anyone and it is not being maintained as i it should be. as of now im going to use jackass as it is well supported and proven to work. sorry but had this second attempt gave me a error code or any sign i could detect that would cause any error besides exit error code 0 i mean what the hell? thanks for the time wasted and i hope this works for someone?
mdshort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We apologize, alot of the support happens in the irc channel #conrad on irc.freenode.net.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the scripts dont work period... thers nothing you can do i get exit code afrer gcc 3.4.4 is emerged and the toolkit is rebuild and theirs notthig that says why which is not a ADVANCED error checking feature because it dosent work so i give up. jackas is a better and easier and it works. i may try BETA4(?) maybe t could be the actual RC1? if its released but i cant maintain this no more keep me as a beta tester but im not a debeloper for the lucky i did alot of work on the conrad scripts though (the not "advanced" ones that worked?) thanks and keep me informed about future progress. you can replicate the bug i got just run the lucky-unstable.sh script and get to the toolkit upgrade and rebuild. and it WILL crash after that. this release isnt even rc3 in my book how about lucky-unstable_beta3.sh i think the RC scripts came out too fast their not release canadates yet their very beta.

Last edited by seren on Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seren wrote:
the scripts dont work period... thers nothing you can do i get exit code afrer gcc 3.4.4 is emerged and the toolkit is rebuild and theirs notthig that says why which is not a ADVANCED error checking feature because it dosent work so i give up. jackas is a better and easier and it works. i may try BETA4(?) maybe t could be the actual RC1? if its released but i cant maintain this no more keep me as a beta tester but im not a debeloper for the lucky i did alot of work on the conrad scripts though (the not "advanced" ones that worked?) thanks and keep me informed about future progress. you can replicate the bug i got just run the lucky-unstable.sh script and get to the toolkit upgrade and rebuild. and it WILL crash after that. this release isnt even rc3 in my boot how about lucky-unstable_beta3.sh i think the RC scripts came out too fast their not release canadates yet their very beta.

As I stated here...

cheater1034 wrote:
*These may still have BUGS they are only Release Canidates*
*Please post bugs in this thread*

These are only RELEASE CANIDATES... Bugs are known to be there | They are not BETA, pre-alpha, alpha, and beta have been released as well, but they have not been announced.
-----
Please, we've been working very hard on these scripts - and I've been away this weekend - No one is perfect... I cant assure there will be no problems, as these are release canidates

And since you've maybe wanted to hear this...
There is a bug after the question, that is, there is no 'done' and it causes an execution failure...
So it does not crash for no reason, it crashes because of one tiny mistake (one missing word) and I think that small of an error in the script does not make it "beta"

Use the "Conrad" or "Stable" for now - Or wait for the first initial release of the scripts... | The bug will be fixed then...
-----
And No one is FORCING you to use these scripts, you dont have to use these release canidates or the official release - You don't even have to be a tester of conrad projects anymore - You can use Jackass or the Stage1/3 guide, they are good resources and good things - Though it is liked and appreciated by Conrad and any other project, that you support them - no project forces you to use it at al.

Thankyou for reporting the bug, now I know it is there - And you are using 1/3 scripts, it is unusable right now because of a simple mistake nothing major, so threatening me or the other conrad/lucky developers is not going to help much, please just report bugs formally, don't get mad.

For any anger you want to engage against me please don't do it in this thread, it can get messy and might get closed - Do it through a private message and I can help resolve your issue to the best of my ability.

Keep in mind, threads like these should be only used for problems, comments, suggestions, etc - Not threatening not to use the scripts or LiveCD, again - Private message, email, or IM me if you have some thoughts on why we shouldnt exist or something :)
steelrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
!NOTE! - DIRECT EDITING BREAKS ALL SCRIPTS! - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EDIT THEM

Hi i plan to install conrad on a disk with XP preinstalled on a partition.Is it ok to install through these scripts or its better to install it manually?I mean is it better to install with scripts on an empty disk?
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Known Problems/Resolutions - RC3
NONE yet...

wrong
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelrose wrote:
Quote:
!NOTE! - DIRECT EDITING BREAKS ALL SCRIPTS! - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EDIT THEM

Hi i plan to install conrad on a disk with XP preinstalled on a partition.Is it ok to install through these scripts or its better to install it manually?I mean is it better to install with scripts on an empty disk?

Of course :) I have XP on hda1.
If you already have your linux partitions setup up, like me, hda1 - windows, hda2 - root/reiser, hda3 - swap, hda4 - ext3 | I reccomend setting them up first, take some space from your windows in something like partition magic, because I don't know how to do it with cfdisk (the script asks to run cfdisk and fdisk to adjust partition tables)

Seren:
No problems in the scripts except the unstable, it is not known with the other ones, simply telling the audience not to use the unstable is good enough? That is unusable until 1.0 the others have no reported bugs, or no errors I experienced yet.

Seren, If you aren't fond of me, conrad/lucky - please stop posting here one word making remarks like 'wrong' If you don't have questions, comments, suggestions, results, etc, ABOUT Lucky; Please don't post here, however, questions,concerns,suggestions,bugs,comments,etc are welcome - and if you criticize keep it to be 'constructive' for example don't say "It sucks" say, "I am not fond of these scripts, but they can be improved upon by, ...."

If you want to say things like WRONG, or "These scripts don't work at all" Those are completely obsurd comments and from now on are going to be ignored.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: