View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: A whole mess of Enlightenment issues Reply with quote

So I just recently started to learn about Enlightenment and I like the way it looks and what I have heard about it from other people so far. From all of this I decided to give it a go.

I'm coming from KDE and at first wanted to have everything remain the same sans using a different window manager. I don't think this is possible (but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that). I then emerged Enlightenment and, to make a long figuring-out-stuff-story short, I basically had to go to my rc.conf and change my display manager from kdm to xdm and change XSESSION to enlightenment. After this I restart my comp and I log in without a hitch to a butt-ugly XDM login screen. Here is my first issue: is there any way to change the way that XDM looks? For KDM I used kdm-manager and it worked great. I had a beautiful login set going for me and unless I can still use kdm to somehow log into enlightenment, I would like to make my login screen at least appealing.

Regardless of the looks, I was able to login and start up enlightenment without a problem. I read through the help file, trying everything out one thing at a time, and I get to something that I want to try that requires a restart. In enlightenment I thought I had to do this by logging out (back to xdm) and then shutting down from there. This is where my second issue comes in. My computer froze HARD. I click on the logout item in the menu and it starts to bring me back to xdm (I can even see where the boxes are supposed to be) but nothing graphical has loaded (other than the background, which is pretty plain as it is, and a mouse cursor). I can't move the mouse at all and the keyboard doesn't accept ANY commands whatsoever so I have to do a hard shutdown to get my computer to restart. I don't even know where to begin looking there for a solution to that problem.

My third and last issue came up when I restarted and continued my quest through the enlightenment help file. I come across the 'audio' section and I figure it's about time to get the sound working. As a note, I had alsa working just fine in KDE, so I didn't think that it would be such a problem in enlightenment. I go to turn on the sound (a simple checkbox) and I get an error saying something along the lines of: "Sound was started in enlightenment, but EsounD had a problem and couldn't start so sound is being turned off" (Please keep in mind that this isn't the exact error message, but from what I can remember it's the gist of it - more details to come a bit farther down) I notice in the help file that enlightenment needs both EsounD and audiofile installed. I checked portage and both are already installed (presumably before enlightenment was installed since (a) I think they both are dependencies of enlightenment; and (b) the only other thing I have installed since enlightenment was the update for openoffice). I then checked the forums and saw some stuff about USE flags (that I needed to have 'esd' as a flag when I installed enlightenment) I added it, since it wasn't there to begin with, and then I ran a pretend emerge on enlightenment and it didn't say that there were any updates, I guess that +esd is automatic unless specified otherwise so I don't think that is the problem either.

Another forum post mentioned that I needed to have 'esd' run just before enlightenment starts up by having my ~/.xsessions look like:

Quote:
Jengu
Code:
esd &
exec enlightenment

My only problem is that I don't have an ~/.xsessions file. Should I create one manually with just that in it or is there a script that can do it for me so that I don't miss anything important that should be there?

This is a lot, and I apologize for that (especially now that I realize how much I just typed) but I would really appreciate any help.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I potentially found a solution to all of the problems but I'm not sure how to implement it. At the VERY end of the enlightenment help there is an FAQ:
Quote:

Q: How do I setup Enlightenment to work with KDE?
A: Start your KDE session with:
Code:
export KDEWM=enlightenment
exec startkde

I imagine that this way I could fix both my first and second issues and who knows, maybe sound will decide to work as well. My only question is how do I actually use this? If I was in a terminal I could simply put it in a script, but I would like to use this with a login manager.
anfpunk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure that your audio apps aren't set to route through arts and are set to go straight to alsa
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Do you mean something like having +alsa and -arts in my USE flags? or a setup issue?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should choose alsa as output plug-in in any application, that's what anfpunk said

also you don't have to use that ugly xdm because of enlightenment, any other DM works too
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm then guessing that I would have to configure whatever DM I'm using to tell KDE to run enlightenment? Where might I find this file so that I could edit something like KDM?
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly but surely I am making progress. First of all I checked into getting enlightenment to work with kdm. Some searching showed that I just had to create a /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop directory and put the following in it:
Quote:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Enlightenment-17
Comment=Log in using Enlightenment
Exec=/usr/bin/enlightenment
TryExec=/usr/bin/enlightenment
Type=XSession

(To give credit where it's due, I got this from: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-406143-highlight-enlightenment+kdm.html)
This allowed me to go to the 'Sessions Menu' when KDM starts up and select enlightenment as an option. This isn't done by default, for some strange reason...

As for trying to log out... I'm afraid that my computer still hangs whenever I try to leave, but It's late and I'll have to look into it maybe tomorrow.

Lastly: the sound. I DO get sound output from my computer, I just don't have enlightenment's sounds being played for various events. In other words the problem I get is when I try to use enlightenments system sounds, but things like xmms, amarok and mplayer all work just fine. I think that my problem is that I just need to have esound start when I log in. I tried running it from a terminal once enlightenment is started, but I get some nice 'bell' kind of sounds (like it is starting up) but then it just sits there and I have to kill the process. (I waited for the better part of half a minute with no result)

I just figured that I would post my update since I have made some progress.

**Update**
After having made this post I decided to check out some videos of mine when I noticed that while the videos play normally, all I get is a black screen when I go fullscreen. The audio still works but the video isn't there. Any ideas?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, sounds like the old mplayer vs. enlightenment 0.16.7.x bug, AFAIK this is fixed in e16.8 (enlightenment-9999.ebuild). xine should work properly

regarding E's system sounds you'll have to tell esd to use alsa as output, i guess. not sure how to do that.. i'm using e17 for too long time already, and that one doesn't have any system sounds (yet)
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enlightenment-0.16.9999 has the -* mask. Is it safe to unmask?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
enlightenment-0.16.9999 has the -* mask. Is it safe to unmask?

works quite well here, nice built-in composite manager etc
mdshort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use entrance as a login manager.. doy :P
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've made a few changes and some more things have been taken care of. I tried emerging version 0.16.9999 and I'm afraid that it did not fix the problem, but while I was doing something else I decided to give xine a shot and it works in fullscreen (it is more blurry than I would like it to be, but it looks like I can do a lot of configuring in xine, so I think I'll start using that to play videos)

I tried using entrance as a login manager (had several problems getting it to work, but I eventually got it going and it looks great!), thanks for the suggestion mdshort :) )

I think that sound is something that I'll just forget about for now. I just don't really care enough to get my computer to start bleeping and blipping at me for everything that I do.
maxpayne
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@alienjon:

Can you please share the difficulties and your expertise in how to get "entrance" to work? A beginner step-by-step instruction would be appreciated. Thanks!
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. I'll see if I can get on that over the next day or so.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't that help?
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_emerge_e17#Setting_up_entrance
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? Didn't even see my fingers move, did ya :-p
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
See? Didn't even see my fingers move, did ya :-p

hehehe!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: