View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: [solved] All GTK+ Applications refuse to start Reply with quote

Currently my desktop environment is completely unusable due to the fact that no GTK apps want to start up.

This error began somehow non-critial. After some system upgrade, gqview just wouldn't start up and segfault every time. After a week or so this spread to Terminal, XChat and other applications, but firefox still worked. Now after an emerge -e world ("Hey, maybe it's some dependency problem, let's just rebuild the system!") I don't even get my XFCE bar or gnome panels. X starts up with background and everything and the bar at the bottom, but with panel plugins except the desktop chooser. Strangly that XFCE calendar applet still works, but its menus don't. I can't check for any error return values because I have no GUI console from which I could start applications. Applications not dependant on GTK such as ZSNES and mplayer still work.

I tried downgrading GTK to below 2.8 and rebuilding, but that didn't help at all and after a week of trying assorted stuff (new kernel and everything), I'm just getting too frustrated...help?

Last edited by Suikun on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try revdep-rebuild (comes with gentoolkit package)
Suikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no libraries are reported as missing.
Suikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some unholy reason Terminal is working again. Still the only error report I get from applications is "Segmentation Faul" which isn't all that helpful :/
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got something similar a few months after I started with Gentoo. On a whim, I removed all my settings directories (~/.gconf*, ~/.gnome* ~/.nautilus* etc.) and ran an `emerge -e world`. That seemed to fix it for me. I hope it fixes it for you too. :|
Suikun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!
A newer version of Anthy (Japanese input) segfaulted while loading its dictionaries. Couple this with SCIM input for GTK+ dependencies and you get a whole lot of crashing apps, woo!
emerge "<anthy-7000" solved my problems for good!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: