Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbyt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oook, so i broke my gentoo :)

I was upgrading my 5th, and last home machine- my laptop
I unmerged gcc 3.3 too soon, now my python is busted. Any quick tips to get portage to come back to life?

I was thinking of doing this (on another working machine that's running 3.4 currently)
Code:
mkdir -p /root/unfuck/ && ROOT=/root/unfuck/ emerge libstdc++-v3

then just doing a copy of that whole directory over to my laptop's /
what do you guys think?

any advice would be wonderful!
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I have the feeling something bad will happen when I will upgrade...

I was wondering: isn't it worthwile to wait for GCC 4.x to become stable in x86? How much time will it take? Is there some package that badly needs GCC 3.4.x? I wouldn't like to re-emerge my whole system for two times. What do you think about?
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyt wrote:

I unmerged gcc 3.3 too soon, now my python is busted. Any quick tips to get portage to come back to life?

I was thinking of doing this (on another working machine that's running 3.4 currently)
Code:

what do you guys think?

erm, not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish with that command but I had the same problem and one method that works is

$ quickpkg python

on the working computer, then move it to the busted one, put it in /, then untar.
eero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyt wrote:

Code:

what do you guys think?

Your python still depends on libs provided by gcc 3.3 so I think it should be restored as described here.
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:
Hmm. I have the feeling something bad will happen when I will upgrade...

I was wondering: isn't it worthwile to wait for GCC 4.x to become stable in x86? How much time will it take? Is there some package that badly needs GCC 3.4.x? I wouldn't like to re-emerge my whole system for two times. What do you think about?

there is a lot of post like this around...
Fear is natural. Big changes some times (a lot in fact) came with big, unpleasent, surprises... :?

So i clean an old and unused partition, 'cp -a' my all system to that new partition, change /est/fstab, that will stay there as a backup or as a full functional Gentoo if somethig goes badly wrog. I'm upgrading right now... :)

why suffer? :lol:
pv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:
I was wondering: isn't it worthwile to wait for GCC 4.x to become stable in x86? How much time will it take? What do you think about?

I remember the story of gcc-3.4.x, and I seem to know the one of gcc-4.x. So, I think gcc-4.x will become stable at least in a year, maybe in two :?
But as I know, today gcc-4.[01] produces worse code than gcc-3.4.x so I don't want to wait for it to become stable, I'm going to reinstall Gentoo using gcc-3.4.4 and I'm not afraid that (even) tomorrow gcc-4.x will become stable. I want to have a FAST system but not a system compiled with the latest compiler.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Another success story Reply with quote

Adding 1 more success story, 5 to go for me, personally.

Hearing of the number of people having problems using the "safe" method, I elected to go the "unsafe" way, and all went just fine.
1 - The AthlonXP is done.
2 - The K6-3 in the basement (future server) running SELinux needs a good cleaning first. I started the upgrade, and noticed too much temperature rise.
3 - The Celeron 300A in the basement (current server) will get converted after success with the K6-3. In the meantime, it shares the same environment, and probably needs cleaning, too.
4 - The Pentium-M laptop at work has hardware problems, so I'm not going to fiddle until the hard drive is replaced.
5 - The Pentium-III desktop at work will be last of this batch, since I can't afford glitches. I'm having problems getting the kernel past 2.6.12, since every newer kernel I've tried has some sort of video problem. Beginning with 2.6.13, the nVidia kernel module will build and load, but Xorg can't make it work. Beginning with 2.6.14, the framebuffer seems to pick bizarre (high) sync frequencies, so the tube protects itself by blanking out. I'm hesitant to throw another variable into the fray, at this point.
6 - My mom's Duron 600 won't get the upgrade until I'm physically at her house next, probably in the spring. I don't trust something this invasive to a remote link, when she's not terribly capable of helping me. I dread losing the ssh link, so that machines on security updates only.
Giengaron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: backup, chroot, rebuild ? Reply with quote

I am preparing for the gcc 3.3 to 3.4 post ugrade compling flurry. I am supose to be on the way to a friends house but I have too much lusty anticipation of this change so I thought I would at least post my thoughts and questions before I go.

I have both 3.3.6 and 3.4.4 installed through my normal ugrades.

Is it true that if i do nothing for a couple of weeks and continue to emerge -uD world that I am headed for a trainreck? ( i don't ususally use emerge -uND) From discussion this seems possible but I thought that gcc 3.4 would not be used unless called explicitly untile i run gcc-config and after that point it would then be gcc 3.3 that would have to be called explicitly as long as it is installed in the slot, however some posts suggest that waiting could cause serious problems. I agree that if this upgrade causes such a trainwreak that it should have been ~x86 until a profile change. So much is ~x86 that really shouldn't be so its really silly to casuse such a big recomplie with the command that just keeps someones system up to date with the normal packages. This is not a matter of gutts, its really a matter of being reasonablely considerate of other people's time management needs.

I was reading through the #gentoo irc discussion today. I had left the window open last night. As part of preparation for the gcc upgrades I searched for gcc and saw that _AxS_ said he would do it in a chroot environment and this has alos been more or less discussed here. I am much more happy with this idea than what is suggested in the how to.

I am going to backup. I use rsync on a partion that i usually mount read only. which is pretty good insurance.

In addtion to this though is there any advantage to setting up a chroot environment and prehaps starting with one of the stage tar balls and rebuliding the system from scratch using my World file? I would probably be able to prune 5 or 10 packages before i do so. The primary advantage I see to this is that it seems less likely to have to run the rebuild and then run it over again. That would certainly be true if it were saved for a profile change because then new stage tarballs would be available.

This is also a good time for me to think about geting my box with the amd-64 athlon chip and a new sata hard dirve up and running. I am runing on a 32 bit athlon now. I am already fuzzy on binary compatiblity between systems. I would like to start with a partial system clone, installing packages from my currrent world list, rather than emerging things as needed. I supose I should check the gcc that is stable in the amd64 arch. Anyway would it be worth it to use the live cd to get a basic system up on this machine up first, if necessary do the gcc upgrade and then use distcc to recomplie my 32 bit machine ? Is there a good way to put my athlon 32 windows box to similar use with a boot CD? My understanding from reading the howto is that you should remove distcc and clear the cache before runing gcc-config but is thier some point before the revdep-rebuild that you can reinstall it?

I sincerely appreiciate the forum. I don't know anyone in the real world that uses gentoo so otherwise I'd be alone. Thanks for setting up the thread in such a timely and organized way. I am also thankful to everyone who has posted so far. Thanks in advance for the repiles.
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuiP wrote:

there is a lot of post like this around...
Fear is natural. Big changes some times (a lot in fact) came with big, unpleasent, surprises... :?

So i clean an old and unused partition, 'cp -a' my all system to that new partition, change /est/fstab, that will stay there as a backup or as a full functional Gentoo if somethig goes badly wrog. I'm upgrading right now... :)

why suffer? :lol:

That's not as much a matter of fear (that I have, by the way), than of time.
Recompiling my whole system+world would take *days*. I have a Duron 1800, 512 mbyte RAM, nothing fancy. And I have tons of apps installed. Just recompiling X+KDE+OO.org would be a couple of days I think, in which (in the best of hypothesis) my CPU will be stuck at 99%. And in which I think I'll see most of apps unusable until I'll re-emerge them... (once I have re-emerged basic c++ libs, everything linking to them must be recompiled against them, isn't it?). I don't think I can do it from within an xterm with browser, email client, p2p apps etc. running.

I don't like it. I'm happy to run Gentoo because I can run heavy compiles happily when I'm sleeping and when I'm at work, but my whole world is another story... Anyway I knew this moment should have to arrive, sooner or later :roll: If it has to be done, I'll do it, of course, but if I can avoid to waste time, it's better.

That's why I want to know if we're going to switch incompatible compilers again, let's say, 6 months in the future. In this case, I'd prefer to switch with 4.x than with 3.4.x . I can manage living happily with gcc 3.3 for a while.

The "cp -a /" is a good idea, anyway :) . I'll follow it, it can just be my lifeboat if my system b0rks...
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi brullonulla,
don't worry about apps don't be available while emerge -e world.
As far as i experienced everything works normally while a major -e ystem or -e world is going on...
and you can tune niceness at /etc/make.conf to make emerge goes gentle and you still work on your computer with little slow down.
Or you can upgrade at night, stop the precess (good old ctrl+c) by the morning and do a emerge --resume by night. Everything will restart from the last one without problems.

of course a system compiled with a 3.3 is still a good linux... Sometimes the rush to the last thing is useless (in this case 3.4 does in fact produce faster apps, thats why is a good one to do)

good luck
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RuiP,

Thank you for your good advices. Anyway I have read some post above that the safest metod is upgrading from within a chroot (I didn't think about it but it seems obvious). So I can boot a Knoppix 4.0 dvd and have a temporary working environment while safely emerging everything. I think I'll do this... when I'll have enough time!
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: emerge -p world query Reply with quote

I have stepped through the upgrade guide, and before issuing the "emerge -e system" and then "... -e world", I issued both command with the -p flag. In the start of the "-e world" listing, there is a list of kde files:
Code:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] media-libs/libungif (is blocking media-libs/giflib-4.1.4)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kappfinder-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kcheckpass-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kfind-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kate-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/khotkeys-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/konqueror-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
... (and quite a few more)
then...:
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdm-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebugdialog-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/libkonq-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kicker-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kappfinder-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/ksysguard-3.4.1-r1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/knetattach-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdepasswd-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kfind-3.4.1)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdialog-3.4.1)

then at the bottom:
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdesktop-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kstart-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/ksmserver-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/nsplugins-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kate-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdeprint-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdcop-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kpager-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kpersonalizer-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/ksplashml-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmenuedit-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/drkonqi-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/konqueror-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/konsole-3.4.1
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdebase-meta-3.4.1

I have installed the split ebuilds for kde 3.4 - is this behaviour a consequence of this, or some other factor? I have removed previous installations of kde using the method explained in the kde documentation at gentoo.org. It looks like the compilation will go OK, but I want to be sure before starting. I had some fun with the last upgrade (but got through it anyway)!

Many thanks,
Paul

EDIT: There is of course an issue - emerge tells me it can't go any further:
Code:

!!! Error: the media-libs/libungif package conflicts with another package.
!!!        both can't be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

I look forward to your comments as to why this is an issue, and how best to get out of it!
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: emerge -p world query Reply with quote

(snip)
paulj wrote:

Code:

!!!        both can't be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

I look forward to your comments as to why this is an issue, and how best to get out of it!

I believe I ran into this recently. I suspect it has something to do with expiring patents. Back when somebody tried to assert patents against the .gif format, the .png format was one result. I suspect that libungif was another. But then the patents expired, and it became safe to work on .gif, again. Since libungif was avoiding a patent, it lacked some features that giflib has.

I suspect that one (or more) of your packages was linked against libungif, but has since changed to giflib. Now that you're rebuilding, you're running into it. (Why this never showed on a previous "emerge -atuvDN world" is beyond me.)

The simple answer is to "emerge -C libungif" and either "emerge libgif" or "revdep-rebuild". I had to do this a few weeks ago. Come to think of it, it showed up on an "emerge -atuvDN world" for me.
mazirian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
novazur wrote:

start with festival compiling, but very quickly a lot of errors and finishes with :

Novazur, did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem compiling festival also.

Any headway on fixing this yet?
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the change to 3.4? I heard that it had some flaws that made gcc 4.* more likely to become stable before 3.4. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just wait a bit more for gcc 4 to become stable? :? this is OT i guess
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: emerge -p world query Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
(snip)
paulj wrote:

Code:

I suspect that one (or more) of your packages was linked against libungif, but has since changed to giflib. Now that you're rebuilding, you're running into it. (Why this never showed on a previous "emerge -atuvDN world" is beyond me.)

The simple answer is to "emerge -C libungif" and either "emerge libgif" or "revdep-rebuild". I had to do this a few weeks ago. Come to think of it, it showed up on an "emerge -atuvDN world" for me.

That clarifies the gif issue, but the rest of the files are kde files, and don't appear to be affected by this problem. I suppose I could just unmerge kde, and then re-emerge it after upgrading the rest of the system!
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
why the change to 3.4? I heard that it had some flaws that made gcc 4.* more likely to become stable before 3.4. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just wait a bit more for gcc 4 to become stable? :? this is OT i guess

You're basing your reasoning on an assumption that you heard that was something bad about gcc 3.4, can you be a little more clear?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge -p world query Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
That clarifies the gif issue, but the rest of the files are kde files, and don't appear to be affected by this problem. I suppose I could just unmerge kde, and then re-emerge it after upgrading the rest of the system!

I'm starting to get curious about the "Faster" vs "Safer" method. I upgraded one of my home machines using the "Faster" method with no problems. Here in the forums, I see many people having one problem or another with the "Safer" method, but have yet to see anyone having problems with the "Faster" method. Makes me wonder what is "Safer". I also wonder if it's a function of how frequently the machine was kept updated, prior to this conversion. Most of my machines get updated at least weekly, and every now and then an odd hitch comes along, like the libungif vs giflib thing. It seems a reasonable assumption that the longer you wait, the more of these little gotchas will accumulate, and perhaps some bigger ones.

It might be a good idea to do a "uDN" update prior to the gcc conversion, to separate any issues.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting another success story. The revdep-rebuild method really bombed for me. I was running into problems with every few packages.

Instead I decided to do things the better way, and do an emerge -e system and emerge -e world. It took a while (509 packages in my world) but now that it is done thigns seem to be working great.

I ran into problems with 4 world packages, easy fixes thoguh. With two packages I had to switch to the ~x86 version, and two others had digest issues. an emerge sync took care of one of those digest iussues, and the other I dont really care about since it was a 3rd party ebuild I tried out for some random app.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:

You're basing your reasoning on an assumption that you heard that was something bad about gcc 3.4, can you be a little more clear?

I think what he's saying is he heard that gcc 4 is more stable than gcc 3.4.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

From what I've heard gcc-3.4 is much more stable than gcc-4 at this point. Also it doens't really matter since things only go stable in gentoo until the devs have extensively tested it. Something important like the compiler will take a long time. I wouldn't expect gcc-4 to be marked stable on gentoo for another 2 years.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

Yes, I can read.
He didn't tell at all what might be wrong with gcc 3.4, nor did he mention that gcc 4.0 actually is quite slow in both compiling and producing code and that 4.1 hasn't been officially released yet.

Oh well, I guess he could just not upgrade at all and wait for 4.1 to arrive.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
I wouldn't expect gcc-4 to be marked stable on gentoo for another 2 years.

Two years would be a little extreme I think ;)
But yeah, another 6 months at least.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have no basis for my statement because I don't remember where I read it. But ok.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:
I wouldn't expect gcc-4 to be marked stable on gentoo for another 2 years.

Two years would be a little extreme I think ;)
But yeah, another 6 months at least.
I'm just looking at gcc-3.4 as a benchmark for gcc-4 going stable. I'm pretty sure gcc-3.4 was kicking around in portage for at least a year and a half before going stable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: