Gentoo quick restore ... not quite stage 4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathfeel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Gentoo quick restore ... not quite stage 4 Reply with quote

I am at a stage that I am happy with my gentoo configuration, and would like to back it up in case of catastrophy failure (also thinking about repartitioning to enlarge /var, which often fills up during emerge). I thought about doing a stage 4, but with a relative large world file (biggie such as kde) it seems I would not have the harddrive space to back it up. Is it possible to create a liveCD (or DVD) that I can simply use to boot and install my current system and then go ahead and emerge my current world? Or perhaps one of you guys have an even better idea?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Not an installing gentoo problem

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

If you want to backup your system to recover it later exactly as it is now, why don't you create a tar.bz2 file with a snapshot of your system?
That way you won't have to recompile your system, you just have to compress/move/decompress. You can do that just before you reinstall your system and remove the file afterwards.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be of any help?
Like you I have a configuration with which I'm very happy. I've backed up everything to a DVD, luckily I have not needed it. Yet :)

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, look at mondo-rescue ^^
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

menelmacar wrote:
Would this be of any help?
Like you I have a configuration with which I'm very happy. I've backed up everything to a DVD, luckily I have not needed it. Yet :)

This option works very nicely. I used it to install Gentoo on the wife's pc about 3-4 weeks ago and other than recompile the kernel to match her system, it worked flawlessly. I opted to not back up the /home directory, but did everything else. I had this system set up as x86, so it was fairly generic and dropped right onto the drive with no problems. I had tried several different linux distros on hers, and wasn't really happy with any of the installs. I tried the kororaa install, and it went ok, but ran into a lot of packages being blocked when updating it. Finally found this option, and it's almost identical to mine now. She uses some other software that I don't need, but everything went very smoothly. Took a little over an hour to have it up and running, including compiling a new kernel, which took about 25 minutes of that hour. I had to use the split option and put it on 2 cds because of not having a dvd player in her box, but it was really easy to do it all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: