Gentoo 1.4_rc3 + Win XP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryanc2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4_rc3 + Win XP Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I use to use Gentoo a while back but stopped using it and went to FreeBSD. I'm wanting to give Gentoo another try. I am going to be installing Gentoo 1.4_rc3 along side Windows XP. I'm using Windows XP right now. I restarted my pc with the gentoo install cd and did a fdisk /dev/hde and looked at my partitions. i only have one which is /dev/hde1 with a * next to it to make it bootable.I'm use to making a hde1, hde2, and hde3 on linux but hde1 is already being used. My question is this. Sence hde1 is for Windows XP should i make a hde2, hde3, and hde4 and hde2 would be the boot partition, hde3 would be swap and hde4 would be root? How do I change the size of my Windows XP partition so I can create the new partitions for linux? Can I do it with the fdisk /dev/hde command with the gentoo install disc? If so what options should I use?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have WinXP I assume that is NTFS. If you want to resize instead of reinstall, you either have to use a Windoze utility (if there is one) or Partition Magic (which is commercial closed-source :( ). If it is FAT32 you can use parted.

Then you can use cfdisk (I like it better than fdisk) on the Gentoo install cd to make your /dev/hde2, 3 and 4, you got that right. :)
can8ianbak0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or since Mandrake 9.1rc2 has NTFS partition resizing works great. That is what I did to rsize my 60GB drive to install Gentoo. Just download the first CD let it boot and start a partial Install until the install gets to the formatting and choose expert mode....voilla you can resize an NTFS partition. (Make sure you create a back up with any installation if you need that data). It would also be a good idea to defrag the windoZe machine before you do this. Have fun with Gentoo....
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine set up with...
hda1 fat32 (shared filesystem)
hda2 boot ext3
hda3 swap
hda4 root ext3

hdb1 freebsd
hdb5 debian

works great. (btw...my fat32 used to be Windows XP, until I hosed that beast a few months ago, now it's just a place for all my shared files for my different os's.)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IG2: How to install Gentoo in a Win XP/NT config might be of interest.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: