View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Firefox, Mozilla and Galeon keep crashing Reply with quote

They generally crash randomly and they all give this same error message when they crash (from the console):
Code:
The program 'galeon' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 85 error_code 8 request_code 146 minor_code 3)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I haven't the slightest clue what this means, but I do know that it's really annoying as I can't use any of these browsers for any length of time. Firefox also crashes like this when I try to maximize it in Fluxbox and it crashes on startup when I run it in KDE. The other two browsers start up fine, but crash within a few minutes of usage.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do mozilla-firefox-bin or mozilla-bin crash as well? Output from "emerge --info" might be helpful. Also, what did "run it with the --sync" result in?
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Do mozilla-firefox-bin or mozilla-bin crash as well? Output from "emerge --info" might be helpful. Also, what did "run it with the --sync" result in?

I just installed Firefox 1.5 binary version and I had the some troubles. It's something with the Gecko engine of course (in fact, when firefox-bin crashed, the X error message said Gecko was at fault). I guess I can try re-emerging Gecko.

Here's emerge --info:
Code:
Portage 2.0.51.22-r3 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.6, glibc-2.3.5-r2, 2.6.13-gentoo-r3gentoo-custom i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.13-gentoo-r3gentoo-custom i686 AMD-K7(tm) Processor
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
ccache version 2.3 [disabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r10
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.20
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/NX/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo ftp://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ ftp://ftp.gentoo.osuosl.edu/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dfx 3dnow X aac aalib alsa apm arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr crypt cups curl directfb divx4linux doc dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd exif expat fam fbcon fbdev ffmpeg foomaticdb fortran gd gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 idn imagemagick imlib ipv6 java jpeg junit kde kdeenablefinal lcms libcaca libg++ libwww mad mhash mikmod mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png python qt quicktime rdesktop readline real samba sdl slang source spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tetex theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb voodoo3 vorbis win32codecs xine xml2 xmms xv xvid zlib video_cards_tdfx userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it were just gecko, lots more people would be having the problem. That's why I'm thinking it's related to your machine. Or at least something on your box that doesn't happen often isn't mixing well with gecko.

I was hoping you had insane CFLAGS.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Well, if it were just gecko, lots more people would be having the problem. That's why I'm thinking it's related to your machine. Or at least something on your box that doesn't happen often isn't mixing well with gecko.

I was hoping you had insane CFLAGS.

It is my machine, since my other machine isn't doing this. The other thing is that it was working fine on this machine earlier this week.

My video card is really starting to die. I have to run X on the framebuffer since "normal" mode has massive screen corruption (same thing I get with Windows). And now I no longer get any green components in colors (green just appears as black and other color mixes are adjusted accordingly). I wonder if maybe that's leading to the X server having intermittent problems and Gecko just happens to be sensitive to these.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recompiled gecko-sdk, it seems like the crashing has stopped. The interesting thing is that I just recompiled the same version. So something must have gotten corrupted...

EDIT: Galeon works fine, firefox-bin still crashes and plain firefox seems to work.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widremann wrote:
EDIT: Galeon works fine, firefox-bin still crashes and plain firefox seems to work.
Out of curiosity, try re-emerging firefox-bin.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach, Galeon just crashed. It only seems to crash when the window is obscured/not in the foreground. I was using it for a long time, but I switched over to a Konqueror window and it crashed a short time later. It's almost random, but if anything, that's one condition that seems to trigger crashing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely try replacing the video card. Something for ~$20 should suffice.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'd definitely try replacing the video card. Something for ~$20 should suffice.

That's the plan. The problem is I have an old computer from 1999. I don't know what'll work with the mobo and what won't. But I still want decent desktop performance.
kloune
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Did you find a solution to your problem ? I have exactly the same one. Firefox crashes, Konqueror crashes, but it takes more time. I didn't try any other browser until now. The problem is on my laptop, so no possibility to change the graphics card to check. I don't have this problem on any other computer and I only have this problem with Konqueror when browsing the web, not when browsing locally.

It started for me right after I updated to firefox 1.5. I'm still looking.
kloune
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

If someone's interested, it works here again. Konqueror and Firefox. I started by removing all the firefox folders in my home folder, plugins, ... and i compiled the new version of the lzo (2.02-r1 hard masked) library (that's the only thing I found that both were using and I just freshly emerged).

Maybe it helps, good luck anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: