View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: KDE3 vs Fluxbox (Rational =P) Reply with quote

These two seems to be the mainstream for gentoo users but i was wondering where both of these WM/DE shine and where they fail.

For my part, i use Fluxbox for my everyday use when i use my box as a desktop environnement for surfing, playing games or general use. But, on the other hand, i use KDE3 for all my coding and more serious stuff (Office apps, editing, etc...).

What's your opinion on usability and overall capability of both of these ? Is KDE or Fluxbox capable of doing every single task as well or bettter then the other or should we keep the linux ideology of choice using the right tool for the right job ?

No flaming, please. I just want to know what people use and how.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE really shines in that it gives you alot of "stuff" to use. Its extreemly configurable and there is alot of eye candy. Its a great DE and I use it alot lately now that I have it running smoothly. Its just to damn big though. I am not a "coder" and I just use it cause its good looking and has icons for my girlfriend.

I also have Fluxbox installed and its the fastest damn DE I have ever used. It runs Conqueror faster than KDE ever could. Quite small and doesn't need a power house system at all. Not as EASILY configurable as KDE is but can run all of its apps and faster. Its quit configurable but is somewhat of a pain to deal with. I would say that it and kde tie for my favorite. I would prolly use it alone if not for the fact that it has no icons (without a helper program any ways) and my gf despises it for that.

I have used Gnome in the past but kde has always been better for me. And there are others that I have not used that you should look at.

As for which is better at what I don't think thats a fair question. Both can be as good as the other at the same tasks. I think it just comes down to useability and looks. I can say that if I didn't have kde then I would not have fluxbox. But I would not uninstall fluxbox. Its compactness really appeals to me. I like the tabs and that I can completely configure the "start" menu. I like the look of it and the "slit". And when I add I program to the start menu or a new theme I like feeling like I am hacking it and coding the options in my self (i know, i am a goofball). Well thats the appeal of linux in general is it not, making it what you want it to be. No handcuffs. Well I am straying from the path here. Later :D
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a sidenote to whoever claims KDE has heavy memory usage, i have way more used memory when i run fluxbox then i do when i run KDE. It looks like the same analogy as mozilla vs internet explorer. Mozilla takes 25M of ram in windows while IE takes 10. Now open 5 instances of IE and it takes 50M and 5 isntances of mozilla takes 28M. I think fluxbox uses the IE approach while KDE is more like mozilla. It handles multiple programs better. (Altho the lack of tabs in KDE drives me nuts.)
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maldrim wrote:
Just a sidenote to whoever claims KDE has heavy memory usage, i have way more used memory when i run fluxbox then i do when i run KDE.

Hold on. Used Memory says nothing about how efficient or unefficient you DE is, since it is determined by the sum of all processes using available memory. If you have a high constant rate uf used memory then that is just an example of efficient memory usage by the system. What matters is how much memory the DE actually uses and how efficiently it does that. At this moment fluxbox uses only 1948k on my system, and I'm running five virtual desktops, all of them containing at least 2 open apps/windows. Compare that to KDE where the same session would occupy at least 240MB (KDEinit,etc) on my System with 1GB of RAM. So fluxbox uses only about 7 percent of the memory that KDE uses, at least in my case. The problem with KDE is the massive amount of shared libraries that are loaded and and accessed through KDEinit. I have been an avid KDE user for two years and love it, but once I realized that the only KDE component I really need is konqueror, it was an easy decision to move to fluxbox. Since konqueror and any other kde/gnome apps run flawlessly under fluxbox, I feel that I have now the best of all worlds - The best gnome apps, the best kde apps and the power and speed of fluxbox. And of course, the tabs are fantastic once one gets used to them.

Here's screen of my fluxbox running konqueror and klipper (in the slit):

http://66.27.21.206/home/snapshot6.jpg
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good point about memory. The main advantage i see for fluxbox is being closer to the system and way faster access. The right click menu is just 10 years ahead of the window/kde/gnome way of having to click in the toolbar and looking all over. (I know you can change that but the drop-down menu in KDE is just huge and not practical.)

However, KDE is good in serious applications. It is much more comfortable to use office applications and mutiple programs in KDE(Taskbar anyone?). So, when working on big projects i prefer KDE for it's utility and management of multiple programs.

If i can get that much out of fluxbox then by all means tell me how =P

I admit fluxbox is also a way better looking then KDE ever will. Nice desktop btw. =) When i looked at the desktop thread it was the first one that struck me as being great. Mine is at http://pages.infinit.net/maldrim/shot10.jpg
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shutdown X just about every night so seti can have as much CPU as possible. With Fluxbox,
I have to reposition/size windows each time I open it... I don't have the patience for that. As for
the right-click menu being 10 years ahead, thats a matter of opinion... I personally don't like the
right-click menu, but see very little difference between it and the "start" button. After that,
they are very similar.

I use Gnome, won't touch KDE.
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit most of it is suggestive :oops:

However most programs have window positioning capable configuration. Meaning most application can be set to start at a certain place in fluxbox. It's not a fluxbox feature but it's feasible if you really want it. Besides i it's good enough for me since i don't have much windows open.

So then i guess it's just a matter of preference. I was used to linux on KDE/Gnome before but i tried fluxbox and honestly everytime i use KDE for my office apps and co. i get annoyed at the long menu on my right click or just plain bored of moving the mouse all the way down to clock on the big K. Maybe i'm just lazy but i like the practical side of fluxbox. It's that whole mac vs PC mouse thing. Some say 3-button better and mac user say it's too much. I personally can't stand the mac mouse. =P

I find it rather disapointing that we have so many different WM and yet none of them are perfect. Maybe people should concentrate on a few good ones that fills all the niches. Oh well, i guess it wouldn't work anyway. =) That's the whole point of this thread. To get opinions.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought window position was a program thing more than a WM setting. However, when I use Fluxbox (or some others) it appears to be a WM issue. If I open Galeon, size it to fill screen top to bottom, move it to the far right edge and then however wide I want it... when I close Galeon, and reopen it, Flux's settings take over, and in my case, Galeon is opened, centered on the screen. I just gave up.
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think programs such a galeon save their window positioning setting when they close. It must be(correct me if i'm wrong) a gnome/kde feature that remembers the position of a window when you close them. Most programs use a -geom[metry] setting to set the opening position as well as the size of the application. You might try to use that in your menu loading to set up default positions or simply change the program config file if it uses one.
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use fluxbox.. and I've been using it for quite some time. I don't use it for speed, although I must admit that it is quite fast. I use it because I like the simplistic look of the themes, I use it because it's very simple and sleak... and moreover I use it because I think that all these super-window managers/desktop managers are too god damn bloated. :x I mean that's half the reason you use Gentoo, right? To have complete control over every single package & dependency you use? To be able to know what you're installing and see it actually compile instead of blindly running some .rpm binary package from hell?

I don't like browsing files through a point & click interface. I don't like running commands by clicking, dragging, or whatnot. I don't like a god damn start menu or icons. I don't want a trash bin.

If I wanted those things I'd use Windows. Don't go off on how Windows is this & that & unstable and commercial and blah blah. Hey, I use commercial products without paying as much as the next guy, so that doesn't bother me. I use Linux to code and because I just generally love how everything works with it. If I wanted a dumbed down interface that a 4 year old could use that takes up gigs & gigs of space I'd use Windows XP.

Die KDE die! :evil: :evil:
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: why no gnome? Reply with quote

I use Fluxbox and KDE for the exact opposite reasons that the original poster uses them. I really only have KDE installed because it's a nice DE for my non-*nix friends to use when they are at my place and want to use a computer for something. I will sometimes use it if I'm just going to be surfing because it's really nice to look at and allows me to slip into "braindead" mode where I rarely touch the keyboard. Otherwise I like Fluxbox for it's speed and simplicity. It allows me to focus on my coding.

Just out of curiousity, why would someone use Gnome and hate KDE? Is there a rational reason or is it just brand loyalty, like using Equal instead of Sweet 'N Low?
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam, what do you use for coding ? I just can't use fluxbox because it lacks a real taskbar. Having many windows open is just a pain in fluxbox, even with tabs.

What program do you use ? (I use gvim)

I'm asking because if i can find a program that works well in fluxbox i might switch =)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: coding in Fluxbox.. Reply with quote

I generally use g/vim as well. Most of the time, I simply make and debug my programs using
Code:
:! make
:! <test progam commands>
in g/vim to compile and run my program. I then can see my bugs without leaving the gvim window. If it's an involved debugging process or if I'm debugging a gui (rarely) I'll just use vim and exit back to the command line. I use DDD for a graphical debugger because it allows me to debug a fair number of things in a clean manner. I have found switching between windows to be a particular problem, but I don't think that it's really solved by having a taskbar. I don't like having a bunch of things on my screen other than my code. I will have the taskbar set to auto-hide when I'm in environments that have taskbars. I don't typically have a lot of things like a clock or what have you set to be constantly displayed. It just helps me focus. I'll even play music via my stereo rather than my computer when possible, but since I don't like buying CDs this habit is dying.

When I'm working on something that requires a lot of windows to be open at the same time, I generally don't do it in a manner that would require windows to be open at the same time. I'll use
Code:
:w
:e <file.c>
to save and switch to a different file when I need to work on a different part of a large program. If I want to view two pieces of code at the same time, I'll take advatage of gvim's vertival window splitting. Hope that helps!
Maldrim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i'll give that a try. I'll just have to get used to not loosing my terms all over the place =)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
To have complete control over every single package & dependency you use? To be able to know what you're installing and see it actually compile instead of blindly running some .rpm binary package from hell?
You obviously aren't interested, but Gnome and KDE can be compiled.

Quote:
I don't like browsing files through a point & click interface. I don't like running commands by clicking, dragging, or whatnot. I don't like a god damn start menu or icons. I don't want a trash bin.
Depends for me... some file management I find easier in a terminal, others in a GUI file manager. Same with commands, some are easier under a GUI. Start menu is the same as the right-click menu in Fluxbox, its just how you get to it.

Quote:
Funny that you have that much distaste for something you have no interest in using. I'm not a KDE fan, but I certainly wish it/them well (just so long as it doesn't become THE standard).

Obviously people have their preferences. I would love to be able to use Fluxbox. I like alot about it... it just seems like beta software to me.
seaweed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Its all flamebait to me. Reply with quote

Im have to wonder why someone would compare KDE to Fluxbox. They are not even the same animal.

Fluxbox/Blackbox to IceWM or Enlightenment or Gnome to KDE.

Fluxbox and KDM seem to be on opposite side of the spectrum. And as far as flipping back and forth??? Why? Too much free time maybe.

If you need and/or like KDE over Fluxbox or visa-versa or any other wm/desktop environment is open to opinion. It will vary from person to person, there is no best. It is going to depend on what you need and what works for you.

Quote:
To have complete control over every single package & dependency you use? To be able to know what you're installing and see it actually compile instead of blindly running some .rpm binary package from hell?

I feel I must comment on this statement as it seems to be a Redhat bash as usuall w/out any basis. In Redhat like Gentoo you can compile programs. You can compile source right from a src.rpm package.

Code:
 emerge webalizer

Code:
 rpm --rebuild webalizer-2.01_10-1.src.rpm

Gentoo and Redhat will build apps from source using their package systems. Both can also compile software without the assistance of the package managers.

Redhat offers precompiled binaries as well.. Oh wait.. so does Gentoo.

Linux is linux. To each his (or her) own. Distros, wm, etc.

Sorry about drifting off target. You know - The passion of it all.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not a KDE fan, but I certainly wish it/them well (just so long as it doesn't become THE standard).

I wouldn't mind if it did become the standard. Atleast then there would be a standard :D. There is nothing wrong with kde. Its a good DE and for the masses is probably the best overall. I don' think that distros like Gentoo should addopt any standard in that respect but dists like Mandrake or Redhat etc should and I think will. It makes it easier on the consumer in the end.

As for one version of linux being better than the other your right seaweed, linux is linux. In the end Gentoo and Redhat are the same monsters, they use the same kernels and can use the same apps etc. The only differece is EBUILDS and installing from source. Gentoo makes this a delight. Its amazing how it all works and I wish I knew the details (probably wouldn't even understand).

PS: I never like Redhat ;)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:

PS: I never like Redhat ;)

Who has :wink: , RPMs aarrgghhh, well Mandrake at least had a tool urpmi which also installed all needed dependencies,.....
Blaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a blackbox fan then a fluxbox fan, but they are similar enough that I can probably comment.

When I'm coding, I have anjuta open in one window, on another desktop I have my console(s) and on a third desktop I have my web browser open.

I have ctrl-left bound to prev desktop, and ctrl-right bound to next desktop, so I make my changes to my code, ctrl-s, ctrl-right arrow, up arrow, enter, ctrl-left arrow, back to coding.

I used to do this with kwrite, but when I would return, the focus would go to the file dropdown instead of the text window which pissed me off :)
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maldrim wrote:
Just a sidenote to whoever claims KDE has heavy memory usage, i have way more used memory when i run fluxbox then i do when i run KDE. It looks like the same analogy as mozilla vs internet explorer. Mozilla takes 25M of ram in windows while IE takes 10. Now open 5 instances of IE and it takes 50M and 5 isntances of mozilla takes 28M. I think fluxbox uses the IE approach while KDE is more like mozilla. It handles multiple programs better. (Altho the lack of tabs in KDE drives me nuts.)

YOu mean you've found out how much memory IE uses on the first instance?

thats more than Microsoft can do :)

Remember, IE ties into the windows kernel, so you don't really know whats IE and whats not... )iexplore isn't IE)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, IE does not tie into the Windows kernel. "IE" is a handful of DLLs that expose an ActiveX interface that is loaded and used by iexplore.exe.

But, still, arkane is right: the numbers Task Manager shows you are on crack. It does not show physical RAM usage, just the number of pages assigned to it by the VMM. Thus, shared memory (such as memory-mapped files or things resident in RAM from LoadLibrary calls, etc.) is counted per-process, meaning your numbers are still wrong. :D
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I shutdown X just about every night so seti can have as much CPU as possible.

Why? X doesn't use any CPU when doing nothing unless you have a screen saver which you should probably set to blank... that would avoid your issue.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
and moreover I use it because I think that all these super-window managers/desktop managers are too god damn bloated. :x

From what I hear, KDE3.1 is considerably faster than previous KDE's. and with decent hardware it can be really fast indeed. Add prelinking in to the mix, and you get a DE with REALLY GOOD performance.

Quote:
I mean that's half the reason you use Gentoo, right?

Using KDE and running Gentoo are not mutually exclusive. Maybe some of us run Gentoo so we can have faster KDE than on some other distro?

Quote:
To have complete control over every single package & dependency you use?

Partly, yes. And what does that have to do with KDE?

Quote:
To be able to know what you're installing and see it actually compile instead of blindly running some .rpm binary package from hell?

Yes. And again: what does this have to do with KDE?

Quote:

I like those things. Do you want to deny me the possibility to use those things?

Quote:
If I wanted those things I'd use Windows.

Choice between running Windows or Linux has alot more in to it than just the UI. By your logic: "If I wanted to run CLI, I would use C64!"

Quote:

I don't know about rest of you, but I just hate the people like that. Besides desktops, it can be seen in distributed computing ("I wish Seti@home (usually they whine about SETI) would die and everyone would run <insert your favourite project here>!"). Why would you want KDE to die? What harm does KDE do to you? To me, KDE (and GNOME as well) has TRENDEMOUSLY improved the desktop-experience on Linux. You wish KDE to die just because you prefer some other desktop? If KDE died tomorrow, I would see it as a huge loss to the Linux-community. Here we have bunch of people spending their own free time to make us a awesome and FREE desktop. They don't do it for profit, they do it because they want to do it. Yet some people wish that they would just stop, and their project would fail.

To me, that's ignorance of the highest order.
phunkphorce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I shutdown X just about every night so seti can have as much CPU as possible. With Fluxbox,
I have to reposition/size windows each time I open it... I don't have the patience for that.

There's a patch in Fluxbox so that it will remember all those settings for every window. It is called the 'remember patch' and will include an additional option to the pop-up menu that is showed whenever you right-click on the window bar. The option is called 'Remeber' and allows you to configure if Fluxbox should remember the virtual desktop, position and/or the size of the window for that application. I think it was included in the ebuild for 0.1.13 release of Fluxbox but for some reason it wasn't in the 0.1.14 (IIRC) so I had to include it and compile Fluxbox manually.

However, and as somebody has already pointed out, there was some discussion wether window size and position settings should be 'remembered' by the application itself or by the WM. I believe that is the reason why the patch hasn't been included in the main distribution of Fluxbox. But in any case, it's a great addition ;)
easykill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is included in the .14 ebuilds of fluxbox...just edit the ebuild file and uncomment the line (it is commented because it is not an official patch or some other reason i guess) and remerge fluxbox...takes a few minutes to compile only.

What i use is fluxbox for my WM (kde takes too damn long to start, and i like flux better anyway) but I use konqueror for file management, and i have ksensors running on my second display, etc.... I use a lot of the kde programs in flux, as they work quite well. I feel this way i get the best of both worlds. And as far as having too many windows open that the lack of a decent flux taskbar is a problem, having fluxter running and using several desktops solves taht problem easily for me. Just my personal opinion, but I see no need to bicker over this. If you like lightweight WM use flux, and if you want to use the kde programs, they seem to work flawlessly for me in flux.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: