View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khendon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: KDE 3.5 How? Reply with quote

I have a fresh Gentoo install with no previous KDE versions around, nor any of the dependencies required. Therefore I don't really feel like using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to install KDE 3.5, since I risk getting unstable versions of all the KDE dependencies as well. How do I unmask this thing, so that it installs the right version of KDE 3.5 (not some alpha) without braking stuff?
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2922547-highlight-.html#2922547
khendon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but it's not quite working. The KDE packages are unmasked allright, but it seems all the dependencies are still "~amd64" keyworded. Tried adding a few to package.keywords, but more just keep coming. udev-073, hal-0.5.5.1, other stuff. Is there simply no way to emerge kde without using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"?
Juffo-Wup
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/portage/package.keywords
Code:

=sys-apps/hal-0.5.4 ~amd64
=sys-apps/dbus-0.50-r1 ~amd64
=dev-python/pyrex-0.9.3.1 ~amd64
=app-text/poppler-0.4.2 ~amd64
=sys-apps/pmount-0.9.6 ~amd64

Unmasking these packages should allow you to install KDE 3.5
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.5 How? Reply with quote

khendon wrote:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
NEVER use that unless you are putting it in /etc/make.conf
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khendon wrote:
Thank you, but it's not quite working. The KDE packages are unmasked allright, but it seems all the dependencies are still "~amd64" keyworded. Tried adding a few to package.keywords, but more just keep coming. udev-073, hal-0.5.5.1, other stuff. Is there simply no way to emerge kde without using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"?

Konqueror and the file dialogs relly on kioslaves, kioslaves automounts, and that fancy features require the newest hal/dbus/ivman stuff. The interface is different from previous versions, so, you NEED the keyworded versions of those if you want to run kde. No other way around.

Poppler was needed for kpdf and kghostview I think. So, you will only need it if you plan to use one of these tools. It might be possible to build those against a previous version of poppler, don't know, but there is no point in editing the ebuilds, make an overlay and all that stuff. A few dependencies should not worry you if you want to install such a biggie like kde ;)
Liberty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.5 How? Reply with quote

khendon wrote:
I have a fresh Gentoo install with no previous KDE versions around, nor any of the dependencies required. Therefore I don't really feel like using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" to install KDE 3.5, since I risk getting unstable versions of all the KDE dependencies as well. How do I unmask this thing, so that it installs the right version of KDE 3.5 (not some alpha) without braking stuff?

Nobody mentioned konstruct. Give it a shot
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you get any bugs with KDE 3.5. Id like to try it, but Im a little afraid.
Blitzace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from some automounting problems related to old versions of hal and dbus KDE 3.5 is very stable on my system. I'd recommend it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: