View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Porthole-0.5.0 released Reply with quote

Believe it or not, we finaly got -0.5.0 released. In case youv'e missed the other pre-release threads there are a lot of enhancements and stability improvements. We even have Vietnamese, German, French, Polish, Russian translations for all porthole's gui and messages. More languages will be added as translators volunteer thier talents.

I think this version of porthole is ready for prime-time :)

A quick listing of changes:

Code:
     * Added columns to package list view, displaying installed version, recommended version,
        download size, and short package description for all packages in list.

* Added plugin interface

* Added preliminary right-click menus to package list and package summary

* Added select-all, de-select-all options to right-click menu for upgradable view
       (RFE [939337])

* Added code to interact with user config files such as package.keywords and make.conf.
       Added options to add or remove ebuilds or packages from certain config files in
       package list right-click, package summary right-click, and advemerge dialog.
       Added option to update use flags to make.conf or package.use in advemerge dialog.

* Added preliminary sudo functionality

* Added Configuration GUI

* Modified Main Window GUI

* Added command preview to advemerge dialog

* Added version table to summary (like on packages.gentoo.org)

* Improved calculation and display of dependancies

* Added colour to terminal window for emerge output. Also added user-settable font
       and fixed display of "updating portage cache" percentage.

* Set to forward keyboard input to the terminal process if it's in focus.

* Improved handling of masked packages. In the advemerge dialog, the recommended
       version is selected by default, and Porthole no longer indicates packages for which
       all higher versions are masked as upgradable.

* Added emerge-webrsync functionality

* Added scrollable window to advemerge dialog for high numbers of use flags

* Set colour and font weight of info in package list depending on installed / upgradable status

* Set to highlight items that may require user action in the terminal summary tab

* Added custom web-browser choice

* Set to properly clean up emerge processes when finished (bug [1081506, 1119366])

* Set to remember selected category / package after changing views or reloading db

* Allowed sorting of package list by installed / recommended / size columns.

* Added icon to indicate if the user has not run Porthole as root (RFE [1181795])

* Set to remember main window maximized state

Gentoo version bump bug here

Our sourceforge release page porthole-0.5.0

Watch for it in the portage tree if you don't want to put the ebuild in an overlay.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem w/ my porthole/python (more to do w/ python). Somehow the imports on my one system stopped working and I _can't_ fix them. The only way I could run porthole was to add imports and run it
Code:

python -OO /usr/bin/porthole

I hope my gentoo gets its self together one of these days.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This porthole is much better. Thank You.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Indech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't played with it too much, but for initial impressions it's a great improvement over the previous versions.

A couple ideas that'd be nice to have:
For sync method there is no option to use esync (from app-portage/esearch)
A way to tag various packages for emerging and then emerge them all (as in Synaptic)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding more sync options is planned. It will take more coding to be able to set the command to alternamtives. I also would like to add tree views/sync options for the main portage tree and any overlays defined, including marking the ebuild version source (i.e. main tree, PORT_DIR_OVERLAY, BMG_OVERLAY, etc.).

Currently the only place you can tag packages is in the upgrades. Personally I don't know how much benifit there would be by adding the upgrades type selection to the main tree. I think there would be some significant recoding needed. All that is needed is to click on emerge to add it to the queue. I do plan to add a pause/resume function on the terminal queue. That would probably give equivalent functionality. With the terminal queue paused just click emerge fo the selected package, then in the queue you can review/edit/reorder them and the resume the queue.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just changed LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8 and get:
Code:
p4pe ~ # locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8

not sure how to set 'default locale'
but now porthole gives:

Code:
# porthole

(porthole:18957): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/porthole", line 157, in ?
    locale.setlocale (locale.LC_ALL, '')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/locale.py", line 381, in setlocale
    return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

question is whether porthole should work ok with unicode/utf-8?
Mvh

Edit: After a lot of reading I've gone back to
Code:
 # locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=en_US
and porthole is working ok again..
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I saw the post a while back, but was too busy with the christmas season.

Porthole does run using utf8. All .po translation files are utf8 and porthole uses utf8 internally. Translation stuff is new to us, I do know that porthole's installation does create the .mo files from the .po files. Also there is not a en_us translation as it is the original language for porthole.

Perhaps someone knowledgeable about those matters can answer the specifics.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats OK, thanks for your reply.
I have (to a certain extent) sorted things out with utf-8 now, certainly porthole is working without error messages and with utf-8..
Mvh
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see porthole back in business.

Portage is a great way of installing software but lacks an easy way of browsing what is available and getting details from the package.

Porthole is an excellent front-end , thanks. 8)

just compiled on gcc-4.1beta and all seems perfect.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porthole is all python, so it doesn't matter what gcc you have other than if python compiles and runs with that version of gcc.
There are other dependencies that are compiled with gcc ,such as pygtk and gtk+, etc..

Thank you... :)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dont just upgrade my compiler and compile one program! I start by rebuilding the toolchain and all the base libraries like wxGTK (and python) etc. If I didnot I doubt anything would compile and work cleanly.

So what I was trying to say is that portage compiles and runs on a system build using latest gcc-4.1beta. 8)
kastorff
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! I'm hooked on portage's command line, but I've always used Porhole as a portage browser/search-engine, and this is a very nice upgrade.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually this thing is awfully slow. i don't really need that much info that 0.5.0 shows, so i guess i'll stick to older version
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
actually this thing is awfully slow. i don't really need that much info that 0.5.0 shows, so i guess i'll stick to older version
You don't have 'search descriptions' enabled do you?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is due to the info in the packages window. I looked because I thought we had implemented turning off a number of the columns, but I was wrong. It was not yet completed. You can however set what info you wanted in the Summary view. We'll get all those extra columns configureable for the next release. Once in a while on my system the packages list does not show right away, moving the mouse scroll wheel when over its view will cause gtk to draw the screen and the packages will be visible. It seems to be something that gtk does when there are numerous, rapid changes to the info it needs to display.

The next release I have been putting thought into implementing a database of the portage tree which will speed up info retrieval and speed up things again. eix seems to be the favourite lately, but my testing against esearch shows esearch faster when there is a lot of output to the screen. Actually it is quite consistent with times, where eix is much faster with only a few lines to print to the screen. eix slows considerably when there is a screenfull of info to print. Adding esearch or a variation to porthole will be much easier since it is written in python. Also the times should be shorter since the module would be loaded at porthole's start and therefore would not need loading each search. Currently eix does not have a python interface.
Ravak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibility to choose a font and encoding for main window would be nice, not to mention language (regardless of set locales).
radagast
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's still package masked
i seem to remember a thread which i can't find any more, about 0.5.0 not really being ready for public consumption until a new portage came out. it's up to 2.1 now. are lots of people happily using the unmasked 0.5.0, and should i do it too?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has remained masked due to a gtk bug, not because of porthole itself. It works fine with portage-2.1

The bug causes a segfault when you have expanded the dependencies list in the upgrades view, then switch back to one of the other views. The workaround is to force a refresh or re-sort the columns before switching back to the other views.

The irony is that -0.5.0 is way more stable with that one segfault than the older versions that were not hard masked and had several possible segfault cases.

Anyway I have changed the way porthole does some things in cvs that does not have that segfault bug problem. Unfortunately I have been far too busy to work on porthole to complete a number of things and fix the remaining bugs from them.
wastje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: dosent work so well Reply with quote

the portagelib needs update since it dosent work so well with the new /etc/portage style. are there any hope for this to be fixed in cvs version or will I or maybe someone else have to learn python and help out ;) porthole is such a nice app. been using it for long now and have so many ideas and shit just never tried to add them =)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been far too busy to be able to concentrate on code. I have planned out (in my head) what changes I was going to do for the new /etc/potage structure before it was released, but I had understood it wrong (glad I hadn't already coded it)

I'm hoping to get back into some coding again quite soon. Our kids will be back in school, etc..

As for the time being, if you want to use the new /etc/portage features you will have to not use the porthole options to add packages to your keywords file. Since porthole gets its info from portage it should show the proper info.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading about gtk, widgets etc. Also previously I read about the ubuntu update system... well actually just saw a picture where they have a button or somekind of icon in the panel. Think about CPU temp or the weather applet in Gnome. I thought why not make porthole able to be attached into the panel as a icon. So one could just press the icon and update system in the background. One would ofcourse be able to open up porthole at anytime to see what's up and use it as before.

So there. What do you think? Would it be difficult to implement?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already been aproached to add command line parameters for package update requests from the new gnome menu that you see in ubuntu. There are several gentooers working on it. There is a thread in this forum. They have porthole coming up for the package manager and things. I do intend to add aditional command line parameters for porthole to start certain operations, but it may take a little while to get around to. I have had little time to work on porthole code for a while now and it will take a bit of time to get my mind back into it again. I have several things to finish/debug so I can release another version.
unz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icer wrote:
I was just reading about gtk, widgets etc. Also previously I read about the ubuntu update system... well actually just saw a picture where they have a button or somekind of icon in the panel. Think about CPU temp or the weather applet in Gnome. I thought why not make porthole able to be attached into the panel as a icon. So one could just press the icon and update system in the background. One would ofcourse be able to open up porthole at anytime to see what's up and use it as before.

So there. What do you think? Would it be difficult to implement?

It would be very fast, but i think gentoo is not ubuntu [or fedora or suse]. When you upgrade/install a package you HAVE TO check use flags, you HAVE TO check /etc files, you HAVE TO read einfo ... if you just click and upgrade, all those gentoo features go to hell ... with your system too.

I think this last release of porthole [quite "old" :D] is the best i've ever used. The only feature i miss is about managing overlays.
Nice work dol-sen!
RMX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use porthole 0.5 with gksudo, it works great, except for one thing. When I press right button on package list, menu doesn't show up. What's wrong?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMX
Quote:

When I press right button on package list, menu doesn't show up. What's wrong?

I was just checking it on my cvs version as well as -0.5.0 and it is working.

Are you getting any python crash/error info in the terminal when you run porthole from there with the -d flag?

I have been getting some coding done again. The interface has been improved some more with more features to make things much nicer. I will be announcing for some cvs testing soon, now I still have to iron out some things to stablize it.

new:
Quote:
count column in the category listing showing the number of packages.
the upgrades view now uses the category window to show categories (i.e. World, System, Dependencies, user Sets lists soon)
More info in the ebuild table,
--- Overlay column with a tooltip displaying the overlay path.
--- Slot column
--- all ebuild versions are now left clickable to select the ebuild version to display all other info for
--- Depricated ebuild versions still installed are now marked as "Obsolete" and coloured red.
I'm working on adding more info to the Dependencies tab.
I've subclassed the entire notebook for the package info display in order to be able to click on a dependecy package to pop up another window to display its package info. Not yet implemented. Soon though. :)

Well, I hope to be calling for some cvs testing soon to iron out the bugs before relasing it. Stay tuned to this forum :)

The terminal now has a working Pause and Play system for the Queue, a Timer function is in the works.
Some minor portage command updates.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: