emerge won't
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etche
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: emerge won't Reply with quote

:( Am installing gentoo on an external scsi hard drive partitioned sca1, sca2 and sca3,boot, swap and root.
Following handbook 2005.1-x86 using installation CD.
Everything goes fine until I copy the source files, I had to adjust the path as the distfiles directory on the CD was doubled up.
Continue with install until "installing necessary system files " at which point any emerge commands try to go to web addresses and do not work.
The initial emerge for the gentoo sources also worked fine.
For info the build is linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r9
This is my first attempt using Gentoo and am getting distraught..any help much appreciated[post=][/post]
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you chroot, make sure you:

Code:

cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

else the network connection in your new chrooted environment will not work! To test if this is the problem, try pinging google if emerge fails
Code:

ping google.com
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming
etche
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: problems with emerge Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem is I do not have network connection to the machine I am installing on, that is why I am using the installation CD.
I have managed to find the files the installation process is looking for vai th eweb on another machine, but , how do I eject the installation CD to load the CD containing the missing files ?

Thanks for any suggestions
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I see, I was confused. You will not be able to remove the installation cd in order to put the new files in your distfiles directory. What I would advise is using a usb pin drive if you have one, or put a network card in the machine long enough to transfer the files. If your computer is running off the installation cd, there is no way you can eject it and put another in. If you have a bootable system already you could boot of course, but I'm taking your previous post to mean that you're trying to get a bootable machine with emerging the necessary apps.

However, the installation cd should have all the files needing to get a bootable machine. (Look in various sub-directories) As far as I know, all the gentoo install cd's should be self-contained, (ie no internet needed) although they may not have the latest versions.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can boot w/
Code:
gentoo -docache

and this will load the entire root onto the ramdisk and allow the cd to eject after # umount /dev/cdrom. Then mount the cdrom somewhere as well as your disk w/ the portage/distfiles and copy them over. Weather or not you should reboot depends on how much ram you have.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: