Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
So you left Gentoo and now your back....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernelcowboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: So you left Gentoo and now your back.... Reply with quote

I'm giving Ubuntu server a try on my linode. I gave Gentoo a try, and I
spent just a bit too much time administering it. My Linode isn't fast, or big
or on a bit network pipe, so Gentoo worked it hard. I could have compiled
on my desktop and moved binaries over, but I felt I wasn't
getting anything done but playing with my server, so I decided to move on.

I've read plenty of posts of people leaving Gentoo for this reason and that.
And I've also read plenty of replies stating, "You'll be back."

I'm wonder how many of you have left Gentoo only to return for some reason.
I'd like to know what distro came from (went to), and why you ultimately came back.

I still use Gentoo on my AMD64 machine. I've got it tweaked with Fluxbox just as
I like it. This machine works great. It's fast, so compiles fine. I'll probably stick
with Gentoo here. But, I'm not sure any of my other machines are safe. :P
bjlockie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: So you left Gentoo and now your back.... Reply with quote

kernelcowboy wrote:
I'm giving Ubuntu server a try on my linode. I gave Gentoo a try, and I
spent just a bit too much time administering it. My Linode isn't fast, or big
or on a bit network pipe, so Gentoo worked it hard. I could have compiled
on my desktop and moved binaries over, but I felt I wasn't
getting anything done but playing with my server, so I decided to move on.

I've read plenty of posts of people leaving Gentoo for this reason and that.
And I've also read plenty of replies stating, "You'll be back."

I'd like to know what distro came from (went to), and why you ultimately came back.

I still use Gentoo on my AMD64 machine. I've got it tweaked with Fluxbox just as
I like it. This machine works great. It's fast, so compiles fine. I'll probably stick
with Gentoo here. But, I'm not sure any of my other machines are safe. :P

I like Gentoo on my AMD64 desktop.
I keep it up to date. :-)

I had Gentoo on my Dad's Athlon XP but he is a simple user afraid of keeping up to date.
More than a month went by and I tried to get all the recent packages but emerge kept stopping with compile errors (I guess too many not new packages).
I gave up and he installed Mepis. :-)
It is more like the Windows he is used to so he can use Linux. :-)

I have Trustix on my server because the CPU is slow and Gentoo needs a fast CPU or a lot of patience. :-)
Trustix is reasonably secure out of the box/download. :-)
a16b03
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't leave gentoo. I'm too used to all this configurations and flexibility (it's like drugs, Once you're in you can't stop)

I was using mandriva before gentoo, and since is started gentoo i know a lot more about linux.

And If i'll ever (probably never) stop usiong gentoo, i'll swich to kubuntu.
kernelcowboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm having a good ole time with ubuntu server on a Linode. oh so, painless.
Can get on to other things.

But, I still like Gentoo on my amd64, no hurry to move off there.

Just on my mind ... I'm wondering what the whole blah blah is about ubuntu, isn't it just debian, and
more so on the serverside. (anyway, wrong forum.)
saptech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Gentoo for a short while, maybe over 4 years ago, and then stopped because I was on dialup. Now after all that time, I'm ready to give it another shot with a brand new shiny AMD64 system and broadband net.

During this time I have used Sourcemage Linux, another source based distro. Very good I must say...but I feel now I want to give Gentoo another shot.

Just a thought!
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saptech wrote:
I used Gentoo for a short while, maybe over 4 years ago, and then stopped because I was on dialup. Now after all that time, I'm ready to give it another shot with a brand new shiny AMD64 system and broadband net.

During this time I have used Sourcemage Linux, another source based distro. Very good I must say...but I feel now I want to give Gentoo another shot.

Just a thought!

Gentoo has many ways of working effectively with 56K. There's some tips on gentoo-wiki.com. (For future reference, or whatever :? )
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
saptech wrote:

Just a thought!

Gentoo has many ways of working effectively with 56K. There's some tips on gentoo-wiki.com. (For future reference, or whatever :? )

++
I am on dialup and I even *shock! horror!* keep myself updated. During a normal week, the volume of updates rarely goes over 15-20 MB. Which can be fetched during a night or some two or three hours during the day and then installed when I find time.
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:

If you have a winmodem (common now on laptops and cheap motherboards), it IS really harder to get it to work ;) The reason is mainly because Windows lies about the chipset and you have to give a try to almost all the winmodem drivers to find one working ;) Not that simple :P

To go back to this thread's subject, I tried Arch Linux and Debian, but I switched back to Gentoo because the packages were more up-to-date, and it's more easy to configure... USE flags (and Portage in general) are great :)[/i]
saptech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really have any problems with dialup at the time, I just went on and tried a bunch of different distros. I also decided to try sourcemage which I kept along with Debian as my main OS.

Now I'm back trying Gentoo as I've said! 8)
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: So you left Gentoo and now your back.... Reply with quote

kernelcowboy wrote:

I switched to Ubuntu for a few weeks because I didn't have time to fix Gentoo.
Backup? What's that?

The biggest drawback to Gentoo is time. Not the compile/fetch times, you can do that in the background (as long as you don't need it now), the debug it when something doesn't go right time.

The biggest advantage is the documentation and the forums. Most of my questions are answered before I ask them. Only one lately that wasn't, oddly enough, I found on the Ubuntu forums (modeline for my new monitor).

I intend to test-drive some other distros. But don't see any reason not to keep Gentoo on my desktop.

Only bad thing I noticed about Ubuntu was that their installer overwrote my MBR without asking. I consider that a serious bug for a variety of reasons. But after that everything was smooth. Wasn't planning on staying, so I didn't try anything overly complicated.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The biggest advantage is the documentation and the forums. Most of my questions are answered before I ask them. Only one lately that wasn't, oddly enough, I found on the Ubuntu forums (modeline for my new monitor).

I was just looking set up modelines and found this on the wiki

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Getting_modelines

Haven't tried it yet, but looks neat.
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: So you left Gentoo and now your back.... Reply with quote

Cloim wrote:
Only bad thing I noticed about Ubuntu was that their installer overwrote my MBR without asking. I consider that a serious bug for a variety of reasons.

When OSs become too easy to install, that kind of things happen ;) I know a non-unix OS doing such things ;)
Zmyrgel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have fled from Gentoo only to return later :)

Gentoo just has too great system like portage and nice documentation on it.

Other distros that I keep coming back is the Slackware... truly the linux learning platform. Stable, easy to configure and fast to install. Usually when I bork my gentoo I just install slackware in 15min to determine how to get past some gentoo issue (usually related to encrypted root partition :D )

Other distros that keep coming to my system are Debian and Arch. I just want to control my system instead of it controlling me.

I tried Fedora Core a week ago but it felt like going back to windows... too restricted and unstable for me. For example the system just hung when I logon with a user account and I couldn't change to a different console or shutdown the X at all... was forced to reboot. This was just one of the many flaws that I found in it. Not going back there anytime soon.
pandrews
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Gentoo user for about two years. Started with RedHat/Fedora five years ago, then played with Debian, and now Ubuntu. Gentoo works great for my desktops. I have one set up with genkernel, and one that I manualy config.

I also have a mythtv box that was installed using knopmyth, but only because I've never wanted to mess around with it to make it "perfect"... it just needs to record/play TV.

For my laptop however, I've been a little to worried about the time it takes to install some packages if I'm away from home and find out that I need "X" program that depends on "Y" and "Z" right now. So I've been using Ubuntu on that with great success. I still have to fight through some of the options that Ubuntu "decides" for you... but in general, for a computer on the move, it just works... Unfortunatly, I don't really understand exactly what it's doing all the time, while on my desktops it's rare when I don't, but then it's a simple matter of getting on the forums, or the wiki and finding out quickly.

I have thought (usually in the middle of some broken dependency or playing with a new kernel compile) that another distro would be more efficient where my time is concered. But then I'll end up talking to my brother who uses mostly Fedora Core or Mandriva with some Ubuntu on the side how much more I enjoy digging into the OS. It's my recreation. I never realized this until I switched to Linux, but I did the same thing in (the other OS) back in the day. It's my "gaming"...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every couple months I look at "minimal" distros since I don't feel a multi-gigabyte-deep directory tree of tiny text files is an efficient way to store package configuration data. I always give up when I realize how backwards these "minimal" distros are in various ways.
djay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me, that either a working habit or wrong hardware for server were chosen.

I don't understand how come one can work with the server which compiles all the time. I have a server, which is not all that strong and fast, but once I installed Gentoo - I almost don't play with it anymore. Just an update here and there.

Yes, it depends on what server is up to do, but still - if its purpose is constant, and doesn't change all the time - you'll be ok.

If you have to change it frequently - either hardware is not adequate to sustain those changes (don't forget you are also overloading your server with services it has to support) or your choice of things this server should support.
Make up your mind. You can't run file server, apache, app server, mail server, proxy, firewall altogether with lots of clients on weak server.
And, I can assure you, its not an install issue. You'll have problems with other OSes as well, just different ones. Maybe it will be easier to install with Ubuntu but maintain? I don't know.

Just a thought.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Still on Gentoo, but may need to leave Reply with quote

I've been running a number of systems on Gentoo for a number of years, including the one my daughter will take away to college next Fall. She uses a computer well, even Linux, but is not really "administratively literate." At the moment, I don't think she could keep the system properly maintained, herself. To be fair, several times a year updates have been incurring Blocks, and at least as often as that, there are config file changes that would be fatal if not properly handled. Gentoo is great in the hands of someone with a little understanding, but IMHO it's not ready for use without a semi-expert maintainer somewhere in the wings.

Can anyone suggest a better way of keeping Gentoo maintained, that can be handled by an ordinary user?
How about an alternative - she's been using xfce for several years, now.
Clearly it's not Vista, though that may put pressure on to get XP before the supply dries up, if that's what it takes.
cweiske
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Still on Gentoo, but may need to leave Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Can anyone suggest a better way of keeping Gentoo maintained, that can be handled by an ordinary user?

Gentoo is for people who want to understand. I won't recommend anyone without a bit geekiness to install gentoo at all.
MM23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one huge thing about Gentoo people tend to overlook, more than even portage, I absolutely LOVE how all of the important config files are in /etc/conf.d/. You can even add your own kernel modules for bootup just by editing one little file! Really random, but try running Ubuntu and looking for config files... they're all over the place, and some of the ones Gentoo has don't even exist because the Ubuntu devs apparently think everyone is a complete noob and should be shielded from everything. Too much of a WinXP approach for me, I don't like it.

Also, yeah, as a server, I'd rather run Gentoo than anything else. Lighttpd + PHP takes about 3 minutes to compile on my AMD machine. It would probably take less than 45 even on a slow P3 or something. As a desktop, I have some mixed feelings, but I still run Gentoo personally... though I really don't recommend it to anyone new to Linux. It can cause a lot of headache. Then again, I use testing, so I guess that's part of the deal for getting the latest and greatest.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: So you left Gentoo and now your back.... Reply with quote

I usually end up back at gentoo because i know how to use it, and the packages I use are in portage, and usually work.

portage, on the whole, has the useful package selection, and rc-update system going for it.

other then that, I fear updates because they tend to break my system. the USE flag system is becoming unmanageable, especially with packages failing due to a dependency missing a required USE flag! It seems sometimes this goes unnoticed and you have to wait for the program to remind you that package X needs support for Y.
vinboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep coming back because things just work!

I have Kubuntu but things don't always work out and too lazy to fix it. And randomly very unexpected thing happen.
I like Kubuntu because it only takes like 10seconds to fetch updates, in Gentoo it takes maybe 5minutes to do the --sync, just to see if there is any updates available. :oops:
installation of packages is fast and easy in Kubuntu.

BUT
Gentoo seems to just work most of the time.
the maintenance cost is high though.

unmask this, unmask that once awhile during upgrade of certain package.

i have my package.keywords very very messy, any idea how to clean it abit?

would be really really nice to have a binary distribution of Gentoo, it should be too hard to make, right?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinboy wrote:

i have my package.keywords very very messy, any idea how to clean it abit?

I've tried to take to making sure I never simply mark a package as ~arch. I try to make sure =package or >= package is marked as ~arch, instead. This doesn't do any good in and of itself, but it leaves things open to cleaning out, later. Any time a package in package.keywords gets superceded by the stable version of that package, that line becomes effectively dead. Whenever I get the good old round tuit, which is not very often by my own admission, I can go back and clean the that line out. at the very least, I'm only getting upgraded to an unstable package within limits that I set. Presumably given enough time, I should be able to completely empty package.keywords, except that some packages tend to never go stable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: