Kernel Panic on stage1 and 2 installs not on 3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xaviorm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Kernel Panic on stage1 and 2 installs not on 3 Reply with quote

I have gotten a kernel panic on stage one and 2 installs with the gentoo-sources on the last two installs I have tried.

I would love to give a log of the error if someone can tell me where to get it off my laptop.

the puzzeling thing is a stage 3 installed kernel works just fine and I have been using the same .config from the working kernel. I also tried making a new config to the same result.

anyone have any idea what is going on ? let me know what info I need to send. This is the 4th day of this and I'm a bit frustrated at this point. BSD installs go so much better.

this should be on 1.43_rc3
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the emerge logdir would help (uncomment PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/emerge in /etc/make.conf and mkdir /var/log/emerge)

enabling this will result in emerge putting logfiles into this dir, so you might be able to tell us what happened before the kernel panicked...

but its just fair to tell you that it will be hard to find the problem which triggered your kernels panic... is there anything about your computer which might be kinda unusual?
xaviorm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: config Reply with quote

well its an Dell inspiron 8200 laptop which in of it's self makes it unusual but I just tried to do a stage 3 install and it is now broken like the rest. something must have changed in the last week. maybe gcc 3.2.2 ?

I swear this kernel worked before.

of the errors i can see on screen is.

Code:
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000010 printing eip:
c0213b71
*pde = 0000000
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0

..... then what looks like register numbers and a stack dump

any clue what I did wrong?
xaviorm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

This turned out to be a problem with power management settings. I'm good to go now.

-X
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you booted with some noacpi option? Id like to know cause we all learn from such posts...
xaviorm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actully too everything out of the power management execpt apm. I am pretty sure that it was acpi that was breaking it and I will play a bit with it now that I have a working kernel to fall back on. I have been installing kde for the last 2.5 days now and when I finally get all the parts working including wireless I will experiment with the power management more.
biggest gripe i have about linux is the kerrnel building process. It's much easier in BSD to not hose yourself....oh well that wont change any time soon. 8O

on a side note someone posted that kde multimedia will not install with march=pentium4.

mine did after i re-emerged libvorbis. no clue if it actually works but it at least compiled.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had some acpi probs on my vaio... after I switched to acpi-sources the problems disapeared. 2.5.64 also works...
so Id just play a little with different options and versions if you want to use acpi...

are you sure this problem is really kernel related? from make.conf:

# PENTIUM4 will generate invalid instructions; use 'pentium3' instead.

this would explain why stage3 doesnt crash - theres no compilation to be done
xaviorm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actully I loaded from stage 3 after that post and it had the same problem. That was how i ended up finding the problem. Classic example of thinking you did something one way when you really did it another. I must have made the change to the .config and never compiled it before I backed it up

oh well. Tjhe pentium 4 thing I think is only related to sse and I'm not using that (at least I don't think I am) and it hasn't been a problem yet. Everything has worked although xine plugins failed on me today. Not sure if want to bother chasing that yet or not. Mplayer works ok.

Now if Nvidia would just support apm ......
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... if you think everything is right I wont complain anymore.... I dont have a pentium4 close to me right now, so you might have better judgement about whats wrong and right...
good luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: