View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opqdan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Slotted KDE 3.5 and KDE 3.4.1 hal/dbus/udev [solved...] Reply with quote

I currently have KDE 3.4.1 running fine on my system. Since I can't stand actually having everything on my system working fine, I have decided to upgrade to portage-unstable, real-world-stable KDE 3.5, well, emerge to another slot at least.

I would like to continue with a working KDE 3.4.1 until I can be sure that 3.5 is working as I need it, and since KDE 3.5 is slotted, I can do this, but I am running into a problem. To update all of my kde packages requires higher versions of hal and dbus, but these higher versions do not work with some 3.4.1 packaged (kioslaves). Is there a way that I can get 3.4.1 to use the newer versions, or am I stuck with only being able to use 3.4.1, or upgrade totally.

Last edited by opqdan on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
opqdan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the mosr I answer my own question. Running them both isn't too great of an idea because some apps will use older kdelibs and some will use newer. Plus, some apps require lower versions of dbus/hal (k3b is an example). So, I think that I will just have to wait until 3.5 is marked as stable (and all of it's dependencies too). I figure that this should happen sometime in the next 3 years.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: