dns troubles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.broken.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: dns troubles Reply with quote

acquired a new cd drive, installed kubuntu, wasnt impressed, decided to have another bash at installing gentoo.

none of my old problems resurfaced (thanks to the new drive), and im currently trying to emerge metalog. unfortuantely, the addresses cant be resolved. so, i went back to edit /etc/conf.d/net and thought i should let DHCP do its job (wasnt sure about the values i put in anyway!). rm'd the old net.eth1, then ln -s net.eth0 net.eth1 and tried to rc-update add net.eth1 default. says its already installed, and i dont knw the command to get rid of it and install the other.

was i right to go edit the /etc/conf.d/net file? or is it something as simple as my domainname being wrong (not sure of its function... obviously)?

i did the ln -s net.eth0 net.eth1 because during the install, when i checked ifconfig, it used eth1. am i right in assuming that i should do so again? (i have a number of ethernet ports, but only one is connected - and as emerge gentoo-sources worked earlier, i presumed eth1).

any help would be greatly appreciated!

(btw, do if a system logger logs everything that happens, is it possible to limit the size of the log?)

cheers
.broken.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo! getting used to this linux stuff :D

did a rc-update --help ... it told me about rc-update del eth1.net ... did so and replaced the file. and now emerge works!! YAY :)

my question about the system logger log limits still remains :?:

time to carry on with the install...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: