View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Attempt to make my own home LiveCD Reply with quote

victordavion83 wrote:
One of the things I want it to be is a XFCE4 setup with some basic programs (web browser, office programs, IM, etc.) and wireless support when I boot. I know how I can do this on my computer (emerge rtl8180) but I know my uncle's computer would need ndiswrapper for his to work. Is there a way I can make a dynamic script to load his wireless card on start?

[warning: I don't own anything wireless] I think you could just have support for both cards and blindly try to start both; otherwise emerge hwsetup and run it. Look in /etc/sysconfig/ and see if there's something in those text files you can use in a script. Most probably you'll find that hwsetup has detected and written the wireless card name. edit: for more info on hwconfig and what it does read the "X AUTOCONFIGURATION section"

victordavion83 wrote:
I also would like to include the gentoo installer if possible on the LiveCD as it's updated and becomes more official. I know the way I installed Gentoo on this computer was through the LiveDVD RR4 and he seems to have setup the installer to allow a direct copy of what is on the DVD onto your hard drive as well as build your own install. I would want to have both of those options available to me (so maybe later it could be used by anybody).

I'm afraid I can't help you here. I know nothing about the Gentoo installer :( To install my livecd on a hard disk I simply copy everything in a partition, add what I took out of the base system (most of portage and all the headers), fix fstab, chroot inside it, emerge grub and install it int he MBR. This is all I can tell you.

victordavion83 wrote:
Another thing is the question of burning it onto a CD or a DVD. Will having a DVD speed up the processing at all and if so how would I go about making an image for the DVD?

The iso you produce with this guide is ok for both cds and dvds. You should use a DVD only if you need the extra space because it could be slower than a CD (I'm not sure because I use only RW media and RW DVDs are slower than RW CDs but it could be the opposite for normal media).

victordavion83 wrote:
For my last question I would like to ask if it's possible for me to graphically login to the setup I have created to change the layout of the programs I've installed and if so how would I go about doing it? My goal being to make the layout as close as possible to what my family would expect it to look like.

This is covered inside the guide. Just follow it. First you set up X autoconfiguration, than if you want it some primitive form of HD autodetection; then you run mkxf86config and finally you start X. You're still inside a chroot here, no iso building/running required. If you can get X to start -- the autoconfiguration always worked for me but I guess problems can always arise -- you can configure your DE/WM. Let me underline the fact that all of this has been painless in my experience.

victordavion83 wrote:
I don't mind if you don't feel like writing out a whole thing and rather link me to stuff already written to find the answers but I would love to do this for my family so they would always be able to use their systems after I'm done making this thing. Then maybe later I could come back and top the icing by asking the question of allowing on the same disk an option to load the AMD64 or the 32bit version.

You can put more than a single system on a CD although that will probably force you to go for a DVD because of all the space you need. There's a section for it in the guide but it's only a stub and largely untested. Dont try it until you're experienced in making livecds or until I make it as user-friendly as the resto of the guide.
The next section that will recieve an update is the run-from-ram section, the "add more root images" section will come after that one. Basically you can have as many kernels and root images you want on a CD/DVD, unless you run out of space ^^ If you can use the same bootloader for 32- and 64-bit systems you're going to be able to make it.

victordavion83 wrote:
I appreciate the time you have put into making this guide. I'm trying to follow it now but will wait for the replies before I get myself in way too deep. =)

EDIT: Clarified a graphical login

Ask away. I was starting to think nobody was going to bother with my poor guide :D I'm in serious need of some feedback.
victordavion83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick reply! I'm going to start creating a LiveCD tonight and see if I can get it working. I think that will be about 3 days on my Thinkpad T21. I guess I have a bunch of thinking to do. =)
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and if you're unsure about something ask.
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started following this guide yesterday. I am stuck on step5.

I do the following:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=${LIVEDIR}/source/boot/isolinux/initrd bs=1M count=8
8+0 records in
8+0 records out
8388608 bytes (8.4 MB) copied, 0.030809 seconds, 272 MB/s

losetup /dev/loop0 ${LIVEDIR}/source/boot/isolinux/initrd
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0

mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
2048 inodes, 8192 blocks
409 blocks (4.99%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2048 inodes per group

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 36 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/temp
cd /mnt/temp

When I run mkdir etc dev lib bin proc new cdrom it just hangs. If I run ls, I get:
Code:
ls
ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

I have tried with multiple loop devices such as /dev/loop1, /dev/loop2, etc. (I used different mount points of course). Even creating a kernel module for ROM filesystem support, but still no go. Any command that writes something to where the /dev/loop is mounted just hangs (won't respond to ctrl+c).

Thanks for your help. I am loving this guide :).

Edit: In another loop (/dev/loop3 mounted on /mnt/temp3), I get the Input Output error that ls got for any thing I do, read or write.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma3oxuct wrote:

Everything you said points to some kind of problem with the ext2 code in the kernel of the host OS. Can you try again while running a vanilla kernel? Maybe 2.6.14 rather than the newly released .15. I don't think the loopback device is at fault here since it does let you access the file; seems like your problems start when you mount the ext2 partition file. Does the host OS have anything ext2? Boot partition or something like that?
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Ma3oxuct wrote:

Everything you said points to some kind of problem with the ext2 code in the kernel of the host OS. Can you try again while running a vanilla kernel? Maybe 2.6.14 rather than the newly released .15. I don't think the loopback device is at fault here since it does let you access the file; seems like your problems start when you mount the ext2 partition file. Does the host OS have anything ext2? Boot partition or something like that?

Host OS has nothing ext2. ext2 is compiled as a modules in the kernel.

I will compile it into the kernel and reboot...

EDIT: Yes, that was the issue and what I just did fixed it. Odd.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd indeed o_O
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Seems like the problems I had with KDE over union were somehow my fault. I'd like to apologize to thedangerouscrew since I obviously didn't listen to him well enough. Guide conversion underway.

Migration completed. If you're in the middle of following the guide, the old one is at http://lepacakliffoth.interfree.it/howto.txt
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: 3 Questions... Reply with quote

I am in the midst of creating my first live cd by following this excellent tutorial. However, I am presently confused regarding 3 separate issues, which are as follows:

1. The guide states isolinux.cfg should contain the following line, "kernel vmlinux." The first line of commentary following this, states, " As you can see our kernel will be named "vmlinuz"." My question is, what is the name of the kernel which should be placed in isolinux.cfg, "vmlinux" or "vmlinuz?"

2. Regarding the script "prepare_env," which was copied and pasted. When I run this script, I receive the following message:

mount: special device var/ does not exist

I believe the line responsible for this error exists in the prepare_env script as follows:

mount -o bind var/ source/var

Of course, there is no var/ directory under the livecd directory, since section "#4 PREPARATION OF THE BUILD ENVIRONMENT" does not require we "mkdir var", unless I have missed something. By viewing the old instructions for this method of live cd creation, I noticed the older version of the prepare_env script did in fact require "mkdir var" under ${LIVEDIR}. So what do I need to do here? Do I make a var directory under ${LIVEDIR}, or do I remove the "mount -o bind var/ source/var" from the script?

3. Regarding the script "release_env," when I run this script, I receive the following message:

umount: source/boot: not mounted

This error message makes perfect sense, given that the prepare_env script does not appear to mount source/boot. I noticed the older version of the prepare_env script did in fact mount boot, since it contained the following line:

mount -o bind boot/ source/boot

So what do I do here? Do I add the line to mount boot to the script?

Any help is appreciated.
Aszrael
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice HowTo

overall my CD is booting, but...
    just before starting init I get:
    umount: /initrd: device is busy

during boot I get "Root filesystem could not be mounted read/write"
    Give password for maintenance"
    after Control-D it just boots fine

may this be because of:
thedangerouscrew wrote:

note: in order for unionfs to work on a live cd you have to disable mounting rootfs
as ro during bootup

Where can I do this? I removed checkfs and checkroot from runlevels, but the problem remains.

Please adjust your HowTo:
we need insmod.static inside initrd/bin to make your linuxrc work
but do we need this line anyway since we are supposed to patch our kernel with unionfs???
Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Code:

insmod.static /lib/unionfs.ko

@anyNiXwilldo:
1. it seems to be a typo - "vmlinuz" is your friend (but you can choose any name you like, just make sure isolinux.cfg is referring to the correct name)
2. there should be ${LIVEDIR}/source/var, or you'll get into trouble with some application (eg logger,X,...)
so I leave it inside ${LIVEDIR}/source/ and removed the lines from both scripts since your build-script also wants to clean it a bit
Code:
cd source
rm -rf var/tmp/*
rm -rf var/run/*
mkdir var/run/dbus
rm -rf var/lock/*

3. just add "mount -o bind boot/ source/boot" to your prepare_env :)
this way you keep ${LIVEDIR}/boot up to date since the build-script takes it from there:
Code:
cp -a boot cdroot/
mkisofs -R -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -iso-level 3 -o livecd.iso cdroot/

I think this HowTo was never intended to be followed verbatim - it's work in progress :)

EDIT:
the system refuses to shutdown :(
-----
using gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r5 with unionfs-1.1.1
-----
Stolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice howto, many thanks to Lepaca Kliffoth!

I have exactly the same problems as Aszrael, so these must be systematic errors.

Cu,
Stolle
Aszrael
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

untill I fix my issues I switched to this method: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_scratch
After minor problems it worked nice. But I really want unionfs :)
linuxchimp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
untill I fix my issues I switched to this method: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_scratch
After minor problems it worked nice. But I really want unionfs :)

I beleive that if you search addendums to that article on the wiki you will find an entry about unionfs...I beleive its solved by emerging unionfs and then
Code:
genkernel all --unionfs
but that is just from memory...

hey here is the link if you are interested...

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_scratch
Stolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Aszrael

I tried using genkernel, but with isolinux not grub like in the howto.
I build kernel and initrd with genkernel, booting the system with grub from hdd is no problem.
But when booting from CD, the linuxrc is not able to find a bootable media:

Code:
Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/hdc
!! Could not find CD to boot ...

isolinux.cfg:
Code:
append cdroot acpi=force initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs dokeymap vga=791 splash=silent,theme:default CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 quiet udev no-devfs

I also tried to mount the initramfs created by genkernel with:
Code:
gzip -cd initrd > unzipped
mount -o loop -t ext2 unzipped /mnt/cdrom

But I get:
Code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0

Did you have similiar problems?

Cu,
Stolle
Aszrael
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ linuxchimp:
thank you - I'll give it a try

@Stolle:
Stolle wrote:

just guessing: did you check your kernel-config?
be sure it has
Code:
CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems  --->
   <*> ISO 9660 CDROM file system support
ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support  --->
   <*>     Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
[*]     PCI IDE chipset support
 <*> your chipset

I took the generic-config from /usr/share/genkernel/$archName and built it with
Code:
all --menuconfig --no-bootsplash --no-initrdmodules

If you have SATA-HDD and IDE/ATAPI-CDROM in your system, compile your SATA-chipset as module and use --no-initrdmodules!!!
it gave me quite a headache to figure this.

here is my grub.conf:
Code:
title=LiveCD
   root (cd)
   kernel (cd)/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs vga=791 udev cdroot
   initrd (cd)/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r5

Stolle wrote:
I also tried to mount the initramfs created by genkernel with:
Code:
gzip -cd initrd > unzipped
mount -o loop -t ext2 unzipped /mnt/cdrom

Code:

have a look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2749207-highlight-.html#2749207
and
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-388539-highlight-.html
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not receiving notifications. Sorry, I'm not ingoring you. I'm reading your posts right now.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Questions... Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
1. The guide states isolinux.cfg should contain the following line, "kernel vmlinux." The first line of commentary following this, states, " As you can see our kernel will be named "vmlinuz"." My question is, what is the name of the kernel which should be placed in isolinux.cfg, "vmlinux" or "vmlinuz?"

That's an inconsistency I'm fixing right now. For the sake of choosing a name, let's say "vmlinuz" but you can name it whatever you want as long as the kernel file has the same name you write in isolinux.cfg.

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
2. Regarding the script "prepare_env," which was copied and pasted. When I run this script, I receive the following message:

mount: special device var/ does not exist

I believe the line responsible for this error exists in the prepare_env script as follows:

mount -o bind var/ source/var

Of course, there is no var/ directory under the livecd directory, since section "#4 PREPARATION OF THE BUILD ENVIRONMENT" does not require we "mkdir var", unless I have missed something. By viewing the old instructions for this method of live cd creation, I noticed the older version of the prepare_env script did in fact require "mkdir var" under ${LIVEDIR}. So what do I need to do here? Do I make a var directory under ${LIVEDIR}, or do I remove the "mount -o bind var/ source/var" from the script?

Before going the unionfs way var was outside the source directory. So this is another inconsistency I'll fix right now. The right thing to do is leaving the var directory inside ${LIVEDIR}/source and removing the line from prepare_env.

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
3. Regarding the script "release_env," when I run this script, I receive the following message:

umount: source/boot: not mounted

This error message makes perfect sense, given that the prepare_env script does not appear to mount source/boot. I noticed the older version of the prepare_env script did in fact mount boot, since it contained the following line:

mount -o bind boot/ source/boot

So what do I do here? Do I add the line to mount boot to the script?`

The boot directory and its contents must be outside the source directory, directly under ${LIVEDIR}/. The solution is creating ${LIVEDIR}/boot, moving the contents of ${LIVEDIR}/source/boot in ${LIVEDIR}/boot and adding a line to prepare_env that binds ${LIVEDIR}/boot to ${LIVEDIR}/source/boot.

Sorry but I'm depending on everyone to find out this kind of inconsistencies.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aszrael wrote:
Very nice HowTo

overall my CD is booting, but...
    just before starting init I get:
    umount: /initrd: device is busy

Please check section 15, known quirks. I'm working on it.

Aszrael wrote:

during boot I get "Root filesystem could not be mounted read/write"
    Give password for maintenance"
    after Control-D it just boots fine

may this be because of:
thedangerouscrew wrote:

note: in order for unionfs to work on a live cd you have to disable mounting rootfs
as ro during bootup

Where can I do this? I removed checkfs and checkroot from runlevels, but the problem remains.

I'm figuring out the best way to solve this. In order not to mess up the services dependancies I suggest you edit checkroot so that it just returns 0. I'll add it to the guide immediately.

checkroot:
Code:
#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2005 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

depend() {
        before *
}

start() {
        return 0
}

# vim:ts=4

Aszrael wrote:
Please adjust your HowTo:
we need insmod.static inside initrd/bin to make your linuxrc work
but do we need this line anyway since we are supposed to patch our kernel with unionfs???
Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Code:

insmod.static /lib/unionfs.ko

No, that's another inconsistency. It's a leftover from the linuxrc I coded at work. You don't need it and it's bad to do things that way, it's much better to compile unionfs inside the kernel. Just remove the line fromt he linuxrc script.

Aszrael wrote:
EDIT:
the system refuses to shutdown :(
-----
using gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r5 with unionfs-1.1.1
-----

Again, please check section 15, known quirks problems etc. There are some things I still have to figure out.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just popped back in to see how things were progressing and i see that you got unionfs working.

SWEET! :D

I can't wait until your howto is complete, seems like it will be a pretty cool disk.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can consider it "complete" as far as you want to make a simple livecd. There are those two bugs I'll fix tomorrow (hopefully). The run from ram mode is pretty simple, I just have to figure out the best way to implement it; either copy the squashed image in a ramdisk and mount it from there or untar a "module" containing only a few apps in a ramdisk and bind it. To run from USB just format the USB key fat32 and install syslinux as the bootloader. If you're experienced enough you can figure it out yourself easily. There's no telling how long it will take to add those sections, since they have to be reasonably "user-friendly", but I think not very long. It's that in this days I'm getting pwned by beer and exams :(
Xgates
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Hey I'm Trying Just To Run mkisofs Only Reply with quote

I'm trying to make a iso bootable, what I did was mount the 'install-x86-universal-2005.1' and copied the contents out with 'cp -a' into this directory /install then I removed all the stages, just to put in a stage4 to reinstall Gentoo if needed.

Now with everything original from the 'install-x86-universal-2005.1' in it except the stages, the inside the directory, like this one I made:

gentoo install # ls
README.txt README_Stage4.txt distfiles docs isolinux livecd livecd.iso livecd.squashfs snapshot stages

Can I just run this command for mkisofs from the terminal, inside the /install directory and it will make a bootable iso?

mkisofs -R -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -c isolinux/boot.cat -iso-level 3 -o livecd.iso /home/xgates/install/

THANKS
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes :D Run it and try it with qemu, if it doesn't work let me know the exact error message and I'll help you.
x-cnc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reducing size of livecd Reply with quote

Does anyone have good disk-space-saving ideas for a livecd system? It seems that everyone leaves these directories out of the image (usually squashfs) file:
    /boot
    /etc/make.profile
    /etc/portage
    /tmp
    /usr/portage
    /usr/src
    /usr/share/doc
    /var/cache
    /var/db
    /var/lock
    /var/log
    /var/run
    /var/tmp

Secondly, one thing that takes up an awful lot of room on the disk is java. The blackdown directories in /opt take up 55M and 92M. Is there an alternative to blackdown that takes up less disk space?
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the guide? If not, the section you want to read is the build environment section.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one space saving idea is to ditch kde (but not realistic). I use the kde split ebuilds and save
a fair amount of space.

emerge kde-meta and anything else you want from the kde-base group

this is how i do it emerge kde-meta && emerge kdeutils-meta && emerge kdegraphics-meta && emerge kdemultimedia-meta then i unmerge the packages i don't want and to keep the packages i don't want from getting remerged when i update my world i do a emerge unmerge kdeutils-meta && emerge unmerge kdegraphics-meta && emerge unmerge kdemultimedia-meta.

I'm sure people will laugh at me but, i never fail a dependancy.

i hope this helps you

p.s. i also noticed that the kde docs aren't in your list wich could take a fair amount of space
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: