Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x-cnc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedangerouscrew wrote:
one space saving idea is to ditch kde (but not realistic).

I already did...just kidding, I used Gnome for my desktop environment. Gnome plus OpenOffice and all kinds of other packages on my livecd squashed down to just over the cd size limit at about 720MB, believe it or not. If possible, I'd rather not go through the entire filesystem finding things to delete. I think I am going to look into trying KDE like you described. Thanks.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be to late but there is a light version of gnome in portage.

I can't tell you much about it though. I'm not a gnome fan
Aszrael
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedangerouscrew wrote:
might be to late but there is a light version of gnome in portage.

That's what I use myself. Just emerge gnome-light and then emerge gnome -p to check for apps missing (and that's quite a list)
My CD is 633MB and a full replacement for Knoppix&Co featuring lot of apps I was missing on them (mainly to recover crashed/infected WinBoxes)
To be honest: I think I overdid it, but I wanted to find out how much I could fit onto a disc
Gentoo is about choice so I choose everything :twisted:
victorhooi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya,

A truly great howto :D, just a few small questions before I take the dive.

1. Tips for saving space
What sort of things can you do to cut down on size? What stuff is safe to remove? If you're not planning to compile anything, is there anything additional you could remove? (libraries, extraneous compiler fluff etc.)

Also, if you are planning to compile stuff booting from the CD (actually a fairly useful thing - Knoppix has this), what would I need to add? (e.g., basic devel libraries like Ncurses, zlib, libpng etc.)

2. Boot Options for Different WMs
Is it possible to start different window manager's via boot options? (Like Knoppix's "desktop=fluxbox|gnome|icewm|kde|lg3d|larswm" cheatcode, link)

3. Using Knoppix autoconfig/hwsetup
Any thoughts of using the autoconfig/hwesetup scripts from Knoppix/Kanotix? Or the wireless-card setup, or X setup scripts?

4.InitNG
Would there be any advantages to using InitNG? Any special caveats or notes to applying it to this LivecCD? Just a random idea... :wink:

Thanks,
Victor
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorhooi wrote:
1. Tips for saving space
What sort of things can you do to cut down on size? What stuff is safe to remove? If you're not planning to compile anything, is there anything additional you could remove? (libraries, extraneous compiler fluff etc.)

If the directories I tell you to remove are not enough (build environment section) you'll have to figure out what you can and cannot remove by yourself - I just don't have the time. Sorry.

victorhooi wrote:
Also, if you are planning to compile stuff booting from the CD (actually a fairly useful thing - Knoppix has this), what would I need to add? (e.g., basic devel libraries like Ncurses, zlib, libpng etc.)

Just leave headers and things like that where they are instead of moving them out of the "source" directory. If you want portage too you'll need a lot of additional space.

victorhooi wrote:
2. Boot Options for Different WMs
Is it possible to start different window manager's via boot options? (Like Knoppix's "desktop=fluxbox|gnome|icewm|kde|lg3d|larswm" cheatcode, link)

This is up to you. You could add something to the linuxrc script that reads the commandline and modifies config files as needed.

victorhooi wrote:
3. Using Knoppix autoconfig/hwsetup
Any thoughts of using the autoconfig/hwesetup scripts from Knoppix/Kanotix? Or the wireless-card setup, or X setup scripts?

X Autoconfiguration section :P

victorhooi wrote:
4.InitNG
Would there be any advantages to using InitNG? Any special caveats or notes to applying it to this LivecCD? Just a random idea... :wink:

There is nothing stopping you from using InitNG or whatever init you want, just remember you have to modify one of the boot scripts (checkroot) so that Gentoo won't try to remount / readonly at boot. If it tries to do so, it dies.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something here

when I boot my livecd i get "no init found".
i went threw your howto a dozen times and I didn't find anything i did wrong.
so i tried switching the line in isolinux.cfg from linuxrc to /bin/sh and i still get the same error.
when it boots it says it loaded the initrd.

not sure what i did wrong, everything seems straight foward. any ideas would be great help.

btw I'm building a 64bit livecd
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please check again if you included in the kernel built-in support for ext2?
You should also check if in the kernel configuration you set the default initrd size big enough.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set the image size to 10mb could that be too big?
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it must be bigger than the actual initrd file size. If it still says init not found either you didn't make the linuxrc script executable or you didn't put it inside the initrd at all. It could help if you wrote down and posted the actual error message.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scrapped my cd, but the error message pretty much says "no init found use the init= option"

I plan on taking another stab at it.

I wrote this script to create the initrd:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

export LIVEDIR="/home/gentoo/livecd-project/livecd"

echo "creating initrd"
dd if=/dev/zero of=${LIVEDIR}/source/boot/isolinux/initrd bs=1M count=8
losetup /dev/loop0 ${LIVEDIR}/source/boot/isolinux/initrd
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
mount /dev/loop0 initrd

echo "building base"
cd initrd
mkdir etc dev lib bin proc new cdrom static dynamic union sbin
touch linuxrc
chmod +x linuxrc
touch etc/mtab
touch etc/fstab
cd ${LIVEDIR}
cp -v source/bin/sh initrd/bin/
cp -v source/bin/cat initrd/bin/
cp -v source/bin/mount initrd/bin/
cp -v source/bin/umount initrd/bin/
cp -v source/bin/mkdir initrd/bin/
cp -v source/bin/chroot initrd/bin/
cp -v source/bin/tar initrd/bin/
cp -v source/sbin/pivot_root initrd/sbin/

echo "building libraries"
cp -v source/lib/libdl.so.2 initrd/lib/
cp -v source/lib/libc.so.6 initrd/lib/
cp -v source/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 initrd/lib/
cp -v source/lib/libblkid.so.1 initrd/lib/
cp -v source/lib/libuuid.so.1 initrd/lib/
cp -v source/lib/libpthread.so.0 initrd/lib/

echo "creating devices"
mknod initrd/dev/console c 5 1
mknod initrd/dev/null c 1 3
mknod initrd/dev/hda b 3 0
mknod initrd/dev/hdb b 3 64
mknod initrd/dev/hdc b 22 0
mknod initrd/dev/hdd b 22 64
mknod initrd/dev/tty c 4 0
mknod initrd/dev/loop0 b 7 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was su to root when I built my cd

do you see anything wrong with it?

the more I think about it I wonder if I forgot to write my /etc/fstab
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that stage the fstab isn't used at all. Unless you didn't forget to "fill" the linuxrc script there's nothing wrong that I can find in your script. I trust you passed the init=/linuxrc option? You seem experienced enough to not make this mistakes. I don't know what could be wrong :( Here's a checklist:

- support for ext2 in the kernel (initrd is formatted in ext2)
- default initrd size set big enough in the kernel config
- options "initrd=initrd init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0" added to the kernel commandline
- linuxrc must be executable

That's all as far as I know. Meet those 4 requirements and the initrd should work, then everything's up to the linuxrc script.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i tried making a few livecds and i still get the same error. I have gathered some more information.

things i know:

initrd gets loaded
initrd gets mounted
and dies sometime after that with a kernel panic and the generic no init found error

my guess is that unionfs is not ready for x86_64 yet

i'm going to put some echo coments in the linuxrc script so i can closer figure out where it dies probaly at unionfs
and the init it can't find is probally /sbin/init.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you're alone on that :( I'd really like to help and I hate not being able to.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update

I was wrong it's my initrd. I don't know what i'm doing wrong but I'm making bad initrds.
i tried the dummies version and i still get the same error. If I do a "genkernel initrd"
i can successfully make a live cd without unionfs. i noticed that genkernels initrd is a zipped file
where the ones i make are not. Is the initrd we make here supposed to turn out as a zipped file?
will isolinux and grub only handle zipped initrd?

i do know that my kernel is ok.

any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genkernel generates an initramfs. That's not the same as an initrd, it's some kind of archive, I think a gzipped cpio archive. I don't know how to make them.
westboy21
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, your guide has been wonderful explained up to a certain point. You mention in the guide that you must move /boot into $LIVECD outside of $LIVECD/source. Ok that's cool, but then you say to create the initrd file inside of $LIVECD/source/boot/isolinux/ ... I'm sure this is just a technicality.

My problem at this point, is that I'm getting a kernel panic.

Code:

RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 8192KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 292k freed
Failed to execute /linuxrc.  Attempting defaults...
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I followed the instructions to the T for creating the initrd file. This isn't the first time I've made a livecd before. I have the linuxrc file inside of the root of the initrd disk. It is executable.

Thanks
westboy21
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found the source of my frustrations. It seems I'd copied over binaries into the ramdisk from my x86_64 installation. Ooops. Guess I better pay attention next time.

Thanks for again for the guide.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westboy21 wrote:
Ok, your guide has been wonderful explained up to a certain point. You mention in the guide that you must move /boot into $LIVECD outside of $LIVECD/source. Ok that's cool, but then you say to create the initrd file inside of $LIVECD/source/boot/isolinux/ ... I'm sure this is just a technicality.

Thanks for pointing it out, it's a leftover from some previous version of the guide. Correcting it now.

I'm glad you could solve that problem yourself, I just read it but I wouldn't have known the solution as I have no x86_64 systems.
thedangerouscrew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out my problem with my initrd. when making an initrd for a x86_64 live cd
you need to make a symlink lib64 that points to lib. It took me a while to figure this out and
I feel stupid for not figuring it out sooner. :oops:
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thedangerouscrew, I'll put a notice about it somewhere in the guide next time I update (hopefully tomorrow).
bud1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

First off thanks for a great guide. I have a bootable CD but have a question I was hoping to get some clarification on.

1. If i umount the /dev directory before i build the cd, I am unable to fully boot the disk. It complains about /dev not having all needed devices. If i add all the devices from my /dev directory to it I can then boot the cd. Any reason for that?

Please let me know if i need to post more information.

I am using qemu to boot the iso, if that matters.

Thanks
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud1979 wrote:
Hello everyone,

First off thanks for a great guide. I have a bootable CD but have a question I was hoping to get some clarification on.

1. If i umount the /dev directory before i build the cd, I am unable to fully boot the disk. It complains about /dev not having all needed devices. If i add all the devices from my /dev directory to it I can then boot the cd. Any reason for that?

Please let me know if i need to post more information.

I am using qemu to boot the iso, if that matters.

Thanks

If you installed udev properly you only need to devices under /dev: null and console. If you need more there's a problem with your installation. In any case, please try booting from a real CD (use rewritable media!!).
bud1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Tried two different ways now. Once with nothing in /dev when cd was made and again with null and console only. Either one does not allow a working boot and comes up with the error of:

Your system seems to be missing critical device files in /dev!
Although you may be running udev or devfs, the root partition is missing
these required files.

One thing I did notice when booting without the files in /dev is that Normally it says Starting Init!--- but without the files in /dev it starts our on hardware detection after about a min or so of hanging on "Found livecd". I installed the new udev 0.86. Is there configuration that I need to do on it as the documentation does not say anthing about it.

Thanks again for the help.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there's no need of any particular udev config to make the boot process work. If you still have problems booting the cd then just fill dev with devices by mounting sys and running udevstart from inside the chroot. It won't create any problem since they will be overwritten at runtime but just to be sure try running the livecd on as many pcs as you can. I don't have anything more to say on this matter, maybe someone else who knows more?
DVSoftware
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, i have just burned my first successful livecd ISO (errm... made a mistake with linuxrc not executable)

it works correctly, but... (why always have to be "but"?)

1. ehci-hcd and ohci-hcd are not modprobed on boot causing usb devices being not detected
2. my sound don't work (i'm sure i did compiled kernel module but i'll check, i'm writing this from livecd)
3. my screen resolution is wrong (i get 1280x1024 instead of widescreen 1680x1050 - it's not autodetected by knoppix's app - so is there anything i can do about it? ubuntu detects it for example)

other than that it's working fine
i'm planing to create simple hard disk installation script that will copy entire dvd to hard disk, adding portage and needed stuff
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: