Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockhopper! 4.1 Update: 20060107

The 4.1 upgrade including Friday's patches has finally made it to the mirrors.

As a side note, I'm happy to announce that Rockhopper! 4.1 has won the Lovechild Seal of Approval. :lol:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockhopper! Update: 20060114

there's a new Rock! 41 that features all of the updates in the new 20060113 release of GCC 4.1.

things are starting to look good with GCC 4.1 -- this Rockhopper! looks like its going to be the best one yet. 8)
brettlegree
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: re: Rockhopper! Update: 20060114 Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up to Bob P's announcement, this latest build of Rock 41 has been extremely good, I have built KDE, GNOME & XFCE ~x86 without any problems at all, and E17 from CVS as well with no trouble. Just for fun I moved from Xorg 6.8.2 to modular Xorg and once again, no problems.

It gets better and better every time... 8)
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try it for my next install. I normally use Conrad's method.

I'm converting my small circle of friends to Gentoo as of late.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed -- I stopped posting Rockhopper! update information here about a month ago in the interest of sparing the Gentoo servers of any unnecessary traffic.

If you're interested in Rockhopper!, watch the mirrors. Updates continue to be published weekly following the GCC 4.1 beta updates on fridays. Although the version names on the files do not change, the files' time stamps change every time that the files are updated.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your MAKE.CONF? I'm curious to know the ingredients of your product.
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Works like a charm... Reply with quote

Hey Bob, just wanted to let you know I set up a separate ~x86 system on a spare partition using Rockhopper as the base. The system isn't quite finished yet, but everything seems to be working (and building) fine. The only thing that wouldn't build was qt, but that was not a Rockhopper issue, since portage issued a message stating qt (was it 4.1.0?) couldn't be built with this version of the compiler.

I installed Rockhopper, rebuilt the toolchain twice for athlon-xp, rebuilt the system, then started emerging more apps. Modular Xorg installed and runs flawlessly. Xfce4 built without problems. (I later removed xfce4 then "emerge depclean" to remove xfce4 dependencies.) Bits and pieces of Gnome are presently installed, along with Firefox, Sylpheed, Gaim, mplayer, mplayerplug-in, and I am presently building nautilus. I am going to attempt to get Xgl running on this system eventually. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for yet another great Gentoo sub-variant. And yes, I am still running my fully updated Jackass! system, installed so long ago, as my main system. Still no problems from that one either, in spite of daily updates.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Works like a charm... Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
...I installed Rockhopper, rebuilt the toolchain twice for athlon-xp, rebuilt the system, then started emerging more apps. Modular Xorg installed and runs flawlessly. Xfce4 built without problems. (I later removed xfce4 then "emerge depclean" to remove xfce4 dependencies.) Bits and pieces of Gnome are presently installed, along with Firefox, Sylpheed, Gaim, mplayer, mplayerplug-in, and I am presently building nautilus. I am going to attempt to get Xgl running on this system eventually. I will keep you posted.

thanks for the feedback. the experience of the Rockhopper! testers has been that Rockhopper! with GCC 4.1 has been building ModX and both KDE 3.5 and Gnome 2.12 without any problems for months now. There aren't any problems with the toolkit. There are only a couple of problems with an occasional ebuild that hasn't yet been updated to be compliant with GCC 4.x.

I don't think that you'll be having any problems getting XGL up and running on the system, as Chris Smart at Kororaa has been using Stage 1/3 and Jackass! as the foundation for Kororaa all along. He also used Jackass! to build the Kororaa XGL Demo CD which has been gaining so much notariety on DistroWatch. :cool:

Quote:
Thanks for yet another great Gentoo sub-variant. And yes, I am still running my fully updated Jackass! system, installed so long ago, as my main system. Still no problems from that one either, in spite of daily updates.

Thanks again for the positive feedback. I'm not supposed to be supporting either Jackass! or Rockhopper! here any more, as I was using too much bandwidth. So we've set up a site for the Jackass! Development Labs on a server that's hosted by a University IT department. 8)

Its nice to see that Stage 1/3, Jackass! and Rockhopper! have been recognized by a major university for being projects that are worthy of university sponsorship. I have to admit, the Stage 1/3 Installation Method has created a cottage industry that is full of me-too wannabe guides that are essentially nothing more than re-hashed variants of my original work. You know, the ones whose authors and support staff keep asking me to post the blueprints for my projects instead of just downloading them like everyone else. I guess that they just don't want me to have their IP address in my server logs... as if that would tell me something that I don't already know! :roll:

At a time when the community is being barraged by a collection of copycat works with names that are designed to make them sound like they offer something more than they really offer, its nice to be officially recognized for being both the original and the leader in the field. :D
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Works like a charm... Reply with quote

"I don't think that you'll be having any problems getting XGL up and running on the system."

Correct you are. Xgl is now up and running with no problems, errors or issues whatsoever.

"Thanks again for the positive feedback."

I responded here for one reason only. You had responded to another user in these forums who was using Rockhopper but had not given any feedback at all. I refuse to be that type of user.

"So we've set up a site for the [url=http://jackass.homelinux.org/forums]Jackass! Development Labs[/url] on a server that's hosted by a University IT department. 8)"

As I am sure you already know, I have joined those forums, having just found them in the past couple of days.

"At a time when the community is being barraged by a collection of copycat works with names that are designed to make them sound like they offer something more than they really offer, its nice to be officially recognized for being both the original and the leader in the field."

The copycats are so obvious that I can spot them right off. I would think most would be able to and most would be aware to whom the credit rightfully belongs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: