hi there
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICHARD WILLACY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: hi there Reply with quote

this my first time hear and i just like to say hi there.i have got this computer with mempis minux live cd vertion but i have sinc seen this gentoo dont know much about this gentoo but i think its the same as all the others out there.now i have not got full vertion of gentoo what should i know of this gentoo linux.do i need to download diverent parts onto my pc or do i get everything with the gentoo cds and is there a live cd of gentoo that i can down load. my computer is p4 512mb memory radeon 9600xl graphices card skystar2 pci card +progdvb lg multi dvd drive normal monotor anyway i have been building this pc from scratch and its looking good :D
Taladar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Hi, welcome to the Gentoo Forums
2) Try to structure your post a bit if you want answers. We don't care if you make some grammar and spelling errors (though you shouldn't do it on purpos :D ) but some paragraphs would be nice. If your post layout makes it a pain to read you will get fewer answers to your questions.
3) I am guessing from your post that you never used Linux (except for the Live CD you mention) before. Gentoo is a Linux distribution for users with at least some prior knowledge of Linux. It might not be the best choice as your first distribution. At the very least you shouldn't judge the ease of doing things in Linux by your experiences as a new Linux User with Gentoo.
4) For details on the Gentoo installation procedure have a look at the Documentation Section of the Homepage. It contains an installation guide.
5) Gentoo is designed to be used with a direct internet connection when installing or upgrading (no updates on CDs). It downloads lots of different packages during the installation but the Live CD and the installation guide is everything you need to start the installation. You don't need to download any additional stuff as preparation
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i can guess, you have the minimal install ~60mb so yes you need to boot up off the and whilst you are in the gentoo environment you download the stages and portage snapshot. Anyway there is a complete handbook which explains everything.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml <--for if you are on x86
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml <-- for if you are on amd64
RICHARD WILLACY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: linux Reply with quote

thanks for the links to gentoo linux i have been reading all afternoon and its not put me of getting one and i have this abuntu linux and thats the first one i have ever had and it turns out when you put into the cd drive and reboot it goes through all this searching and it searching for all what you have on your pc like memory and such stuff i was on this live cd all night and it changed my mind and i like what i see its well done and lots more than what i have on windows xp home i dont have any writing stuff on my pc apart from note pad
and such stuff just basic stuff but when i went into this abuntu linux i found that in the writing section there is more stuff than what i have been used to and i tried out some of it and you can write in diverent ways and the games section was also very good and i played on these games for long time and this much better than what you get with xp and the graphices are very good.just got to find
a gentoo live cd
PaveQ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't read that. :roll:
RICHARD WILLACY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: linux Reply with quote

i to cant read it iether i must of been drunk at the time . anyway i will not go on about it but i will say this gentoo is very good and its a lot better than windows so keep up the good work
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: linux Reply with quote

RICHARD WILLACY wrote:
thanks for the links to gentoo linux i have been reading all afternoon and its not put me of getting one and i have this abuntu linux and thats the first one i have ever had and it turns out when you put into the cd drive and reboot it goes through all this searching and it searching for all what you have on your pc like memory and such stuff i was on this live cd all night and it changed my mind and i like what i see its well done and lots more than what i have on windows xp home i dont have any writing stuff on my pc apart from note pad
and such stuff just basic stuff but when i went into this abuntu linux i found that in the writing section there is more stuff than what i have been used to and i tried out some of it and you can write in diverent ways and the games section was also very good and i played on these games for long time and this much better than what you get with xp and the graphices are very good

Wow, longest sentence ever :o
Welcome to the forums.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sentences contain punctuation. Whatever that is, it does not have punctuation of any sort. :lol:

Either way, welcome to the forums. :)
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!

You might be interested in the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_%28punctuation%29
Timmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: linux Reply with quote

RICHARD WILLACY wrote:
thanks for the links to gentoo linux. i have been reading all afternoon and its not put me off getting one. i have this ubuntu linux and thats the first one i have ever had. it turns out when you put it into the cd drive and reboot it goes through all this searching and searching for all that you have on your pc - like memory and such stuff. i was on this live cd all night and it changed my mind. i like what i see. its well done and lots more than what i have on windows xp home. i dont have any writing stuff on my pc apart from notepad and such stuff. just basic stuff but when i went into this ubuntu linux i found that in the writing section there is more stuff than what i have been used to and i tried out some of it. you can write in different ways. the games section was also very good and i played these games for long time and this much better than what you get with xp and the graphics are very good. just got to find
a gentoo live cd

I can read this just fine. and for everyone else, i've put in punctuation which should make it easier. I've got a few comments to this. First of all, it's great that you've fallen in love with linux so quickly and easily. it kind of reminds me of my first experiences with linux on the mandrake distro.

however, (not to encourage windows use or anything obsurd like that) many of the major software packages for linux (open office - the major office suite for linux - for example) also have ports to windows, so there's no need to pay for microsoft office - you can just use its open source equivalent. then you're not stuck having to type in notepad (if you ever have a reason to go back, of course. in the last 4 years, i haven't)
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: linux Reply with quote

RICHARD WILLACY wrote:
and such stuff just basic stuff but when i went into this abuntu linux i found that in the writing section there is more stuff than what i have been used to and i tried out some of it and you can write in diverent ways and the games section was also very good and i played on these games for long time and this much better than what you get with xp and the graphices are very good.just got to find
a gentoo live cd

Translated for clarity:

Thank you for the Gentoo links! I have been reading them all afternoon. I downloaded an Ubuntu CD, which I have never tried before, that seems to auto detect all my hardware which is very neat. I spent most of the night in Linux and found that I prefer Linux over my current Windows system, one thing I found that is interesting is the availability of software on Linux. I was also impressed with the selection of games; I’m really liking this Linux thing! I am now looking for a Gentoo Linux live CD, if anyone can provide me with a link I would appreciate it. Thank you, and I look forward to learning more about Gentoo Linux.

Also, welcome to the forums.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: