View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Hide windows installation Reply with quote

Hi there...

I have a PC that has both Gentoo and WinXP installed with dual boot. The thing I was wondering is if I can completely hide the windows installation.
What I mean is that I don't want anyone but me to know the existence of windows (and any file or program associated with windows) on the system. But I still want to be able to boot into windows, maybe through a hotkey sequence or some command with password protection.

Is that possible in any way?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest way to "hide" the windows installation...and the method i recommend...is get rid of it. :)

seriously though, how hidden do you need it to be? if you simply make gentoo your default os (in grub) and windows the other one, and give grub a one second pause before launching gentoo, you can have your system boot into gentoo so quickly it won't display the grub menu at all, but let you tap a key to stop the boot if you want to select windows.

if you're worried someone might still catch a glimpse of it, just rename it to something else. or put a password on grub so nobody can (easily) see the horrible thing it really is. all these things can be done with a quick edit of /boot/grub/grub.conf.

of course, this only hides it from a casual observer. there are lots of other things you can do to hide it more thoroughly, but they require more work. i probably shouldn't ask, but...why do you want to hide an entire os? if the installation contains sensitive data, wouldn't it be better just to encrypt the data?

anyway, the boot menu stuff is quick and easy. the "tap an arrow to stop grub" method would look something like:

Code:
default 0
timeout 1

title=Gentoo GNU/Linux
[stuff to boot gentoo here]

title=Certainly not Windows
[stuff to boot windows here]
josh
Guru
Guru

Location: Milky Way: Solar System: Earth: North America: USA: NY: Buffalo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if you wanted to be trickier just have Gentoo as a selection in your grub.conf (assuming you're using grub). Then when you want to enter windows just do a 'c' to get to the grub command line and type the commands to boot windows. Which I think would be something like:
Code:
> root (hd0,0) #or whatever partition/drive has windows
> chainloader (hd0,0)+1

I'm not 100% sure on the syntax. Of course this isn't totally fool proof. If someone wanders along with a little Grub knowledge then they can still get in. You could set a BIOS or Grub password. But I'm not sure if that was your goal.
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone have access to linux he will see the windows partition. Again, the question is why? And who shouldn't see the installation?
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

easiest way to "hide" the windows installation...and the method i recommend...is get rid of it.

Sorry I can't

Quote:
seriously though, how hidden do you need it to be?

Does stealth mean anythign to you?

Quote:
why do you want to hide an entire os? if the installation contains sensitive data, wouldn't it be better just to encrypt the data?

No, encrypting just some data won't do it. I need the whole windows installation to be hidden, and not just from the casual user that won't even press a key in order to stop grub's timer...

Quote:

> root (hd0,0) #or whatever partition/drive has windows
> chainloader (hd0,0)+1

That's a bit closer to what I want. But still, even if the unwanted user logs into gentoo, he/she will be able to see the windows installation, right?

So I need MORE!

PS: thanks for the suggestions so far...
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone have access to linux he will see the windows partition. Again, the question is why? And who shouldn't see the installation?

It seems like we were typing at the same time... My point exactly.

Why is a bit of a long story. Who is a co-worker. That's all I can say so far. :twisted:
josh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there is any sure-fire way to do it. You could manually setup your devices (/dev/) and then there won't be the device file there. Then remove the entry from fstab. But again, someone could still create the device (if they had a good idea of what it was). Or they could boot your computer with a bootdisk that has devfsd or udev. Not sure if you can encrypt windows disks. If its sensitive data, create an encrypted partition in Linux and move it there. I see that you already said that wasn't an option, but I don't see any way to effectively 'hide' windows. You could get it to a point where someone would have to first *suspect* that windows is present and then go from there (boot disk or 31337 haxor shite or whatever).
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok let's don't get carried away...

I know that it's impossible to hide something from EVERYONE because there is always someone smarter or more qualified than you.
What I need to do is hide windows from a decent computer user, that has some (limited) experience with dual booting, and can navigate himself around linux.

Booting windows with a floppy or with a hidden grub entry (or manually entered entry) and hiding the windows partition from inside linux would be ideal for my situation...(I think :roll:)
josh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. sometimes get going...
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if windows is on a separate drive, you could disable
that drive in bios, and put a password on bios.

it might not be very practical if you plan to switch
a lot between the two, but it does completely hide
the windows installation.
calr0x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxa055, perhaps it would be better to tell us more the reasons behind what you need? Tell us the situations you are protecting against and perhaps it will help us know what requirements you need?

It seems to me you need to be more specific about "hiding", as far as to what degree you need something "hidden".

Try and tell us more background to your motivation for needing this, and I'll try to help. :)
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calr0x wrote:
mxa055, perhaps it would be better to tell us more the reasons behind what you need? Tell us the situations you are protecting against and perhaps it will help us know what requirements you need?

It seems to me you need to be more specific about "hiding", as far as to what degree you need something "hidden".

Try and tell us more background to your motivation for needing this, and I'll try to help. :)

Ok, I'll try to explain.

I have a PC at work that I am only supposed to use linux on. I on the other hand prefer to do certain jobs on windows (please do not comment on that, it's just the way it is).

I proposed to install windows on this PC at my own cost, but there is a certain person that disagrees with me. If he founds out that I have installed windows on my PC, I am sure that it will be made a huge deal, so I need to hide the windows installation.

The truth is that my office is on an entirely different building and no one can really check what I am working on, but I just want to be on the safe side, in case someone tries to use my computer when I am not around.

This all might sound silly to some, but I am just caught in a weird situation, that doesn't let me do my job the way I like it.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And using qemu or vmware to run winxp inside linux is also not an option?
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qemu or vmware should be goo options.

As already said, make sure you put a passwd in the BIOS so that he can't boot with a floppy. Also put a password when booting from the second option. But if you really wanna hide it, do as suggested that you have to manually enter grub and activate the second boot. If I remember correctly, grub has two passwords: one for each boot options, another one for entering the command line.

Does this guy have root access? If he doesn't have root access and the partition is not mounted in fstab, I am not sure if he can see the partition type...

With qemu or vmware you would hide it better... the problem is if your intention is playing 3D games after work :D
TheX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hide a patition with using a software solution is not possible under linux.
Someone with root-access will find the partition if he wants to.

To be sure that the partition is unaccessable to root is to 'unplug' it before linux gets acces to it.
So plug the harddisk in a seperate HD-CONTROLLER and disable it via BIOS .
Set a Bios password an te partition wouldn't show up anywhere in your OS.
Using this sollution would even stop the harddisk beeing shown at startup ! !

To get acces to your harddisk (if he knows about it) he would have to clear your BIOS and set it up correctly again.

IMHO , this is the only way i could think of to 'hide' a harddisk from a root user.

TheX
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheX inspired and now I have a better one:
Buy a USB case for an external hard drive. Then plug it in when you need Windows, and when not, hide it inside a drawer with a lock or something. You can also bring your beloved Win hard drive home if you need to :lol:
danyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batistuta wrote:
You can also bring your beloved Win hard drive home if you need to :lol:

Sorry, he is talking about WindowsXP. Connect your USB hardrive as boot drive to another computer and you have to call Microsoft to unlock it ;)
Remember, Microsoft doesn't allow the hardware configuration to change without calling them. Furthermore, Windows doesn't reconfigure itself based on the new hardware as easily as Linux.

My advice is: try to use Linux. It's harder for a Windows only guy/girl, but in the end you'll realise its power.

Regards,
Dan.
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:

Haven't really tried them, but at somepoint I might need to use 3D acceleration which from what I read is not provided through these emulators.
Besides, wouldn't this negate to hiding windows? as windows would be available through linux, and thus detectable?

Quote:
If I remember correctly, grub has two passwords: one for each boot options, another one for entering the command line.

This I didn't know of. I might be using the password for locking grub command line. But what about partition visibility through linux?

Quote:
To hide a patition with using a software solution is not possible under linux.Someone with root-access will find the partition if he wants to.

What if he doesn't have root access? (Not really sure if I can fool him to believe that the account that I use is root, when it really isn't but might give it a shot.

Quote:
To be sure that the partition is unaccessable to root is to 'unplug' it before linux gets acces to it.So plug the harddisk in a seperate HD-CONTROLLER and disable it via BIOS .Set a Bios password an te partition wouldn't show up anywhere in your OS.Using this sollution would even stop the harddisk beeing shown at startup ! !

Firstly I can't connect the windows harddisk to a separate controller as all my controllers are full (2 hdds on ATA0, 2 DVD-RW on ATA1, 1 hdd on SATA0), though I could get a pci controller... :roll:
Secondly that would require a lot of time to change from one OS to the other when necessary with having to make alterations to the BIOS everytime I need to hide/unhide, which would be perceivable when trying to hide Windows on a suprising visit...

Code:
Buy a USB case for an external hard drive. Then plug it in when you need Windows, and when not, hide it inside a drawer with a lock or something. You can also bring your beloved Win hard drive home if you need to

This might be the most sensible solution for my situation, but I don't know how robust such a configuration would be. Meaning...
I am logged in to windows... the person I don't want to see windows walks in... only a few seconds to hide everything... (what do I do here? do I just unplug the usb connection? do I stop it from windows and then unplug it? do I restart and then unplug it? will grub ignore the missing drive and go ahead and boot linux?) ... so I unplugged it and put the disk in my drawer... the person leaves and I want to restore windows... do I just plug the drive in and restart my PC and get into windows? could there be a corruption problem from unplugging the drive like that?
Also how about performance? would I have a performance drop when using usb2 instead of ATA?

Quote:
My advice is: try to use Linux. It's harder for a Windows only guy/girl, but in the end you'll realise its power.

I have only basic knowledge of linux (have used it for about 2 years in my whole life, and setup a small router/server on an old machine). As far as using it for work I am very limited. I mostly use windows to use photoshop, create flash animations, sometimes for dreamweaver and occasionally for using VS.NET (and the occasional game ofcourse). So if I could find and learn to use the respective software packages for linux, that might be a first step for getting rid of windows for good.

PS: Thanks for all your answers so far and sorry for the length of this post...
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not be possible with a dual boot installation to rapidly switch away from windows, unless you remove the power and risk file system corruption. That will be possible with vmware, suspending the virtual machine and closing the program require only some (ten?) seconds. If he doesn't have root access you may hide the virtual machines files from him simply changing directory permissions.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxa055 wrote:
BlackEdder wrote:

Besides, wouldn't this negate to hiding windows? as windows would be available through linux, and thus detectable?
I meant that it might be acceptable to the it admin that you use qemu or vmware. This way you don't need to hide anything from him.

I find it very weird that they would tell you to use linux if you want/need to develop flash animation, because flash support is only limited in linux.

For html programming: NVU is a good WYSIWYG editor. Bluefish (and others) can be used for direct html editing.

Photoshop can be replaced with the gimp (or gimpshop), but again if you need that for your job (and they are willing to pay the 600 dollar license fee), then they shouldn't have much problem with paying $40 for crossover office so you can run it directly from linux.

Last edited by BlackEdder on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
danyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not possible to bring another PC? Hide it under your desk and use a KVM to switch from one to another.
This will be the easiest solution. Or if you don't need 3d acceleration, use VMware player, it's free.

Good luck,
Dan.
calr0x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel your best option is vmware.

I have no idea what level of competency your admin/fellow workers have in linux, but I can say that if they look I just can't think of a way to hide windows from linux completely, especially where you are booted into it and need to get out quick. If your in windows and a worker walks in, the ONLY way to really hide it is by holding the power button for 5secs or killing the monitor. MAYBE running an app that looks like linux in fullscreen MAY work, but I wouldn't trust that.

VMware tho runs windows IN a window. Combine this with virtual desktops such as KDE or Gnome offer, and now you can run windows in a diff virtual desktop that you can set a hotkey to switch AWAY from. If VMWare is on Desktop 3, set a hotkey to goto Desktop 1 with just like alt+1 or something. The "fake computer" VMWare will create will be a few files in a folder, which would be pretty easy to hide EXCEPT for the fact one of the files will be the size of the fake harddrive you make. As an example, if you wanted a fake 5 gig drive, VMWare will have to make a 5gig file to emulate this drive. Also as you stated, 3D accel won't be an option. But I'm not sure what you would need it for? I assume if you're doing 3D work that your company will have the necessary software for you... Otherwise theres gaming and that'll be even more a bitch to hide.

IMO, This is the best situation for you atm. But it too has some probs. #1 is I don't know if the company itself will have a problem w/ you installing apps like this w/o their consent. #2 is whether you purchase VMWare or warez it, and the complications of running pirated software on a corporate computer might be tough.

All in all based of what you seem to need thats my recommendation.. It is only superceded by the fact I don't recommend doing ANY of this since I'm sure it's against quite a few rules relating to your company. I don't mean this harshly, but there's something shady about your needs relating to this, esp relating to needing 3D accel in a company that's using linux..

Again, I recommend you laying out EXACTLY what you plan on doing w/ this system because a part of me feel like you don't wanna say for fear we may disapprove... =P
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've said it first calr0x..
I work at a company where they use Windows. I have to ask for permission whatever I install. I can't install freeware/open source SW. I hate it. But that's my job. If I am less productive in Windows, bad luck... I get paid for that and if we don't finish on time they pay extra hours. I've accepted your job and I have to stick with the rules.

I think most of us here think that way... it is company ethics. Different is if the company allows this, and some very influencing guy is against it for some wierd-ass reason reason. But doing this stuff in a work environment is not the best way to go.

If you wanna play games, just do a great job at your company, and before you know you will save the 150 bucks you need for a Paystation 2 :D
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxa055 wrote:
Secondly that would require a lot of time to change from one OS to the other when necessary with having to make alterations to the BIOS everytime I need to hide/unhide, which would be perceivable when trying to hide Windows on a suprising visit...

ok, if you also need to be able to hide windows *quickly*, and you need 3d acceleration for games (which rules out qemu/vmware/etc) then danyer's suggestion is your only practical option...even a well-concealed dual-boot is useless if you need to be working in linux two seconds after the knock on the door. you only need a mini pc case (or even a laptop) which you can stash in a drawer or under/behind your desk or whatever, then attach your existing monitor & keyboard to it via a kvm switch, and you can play/work away happily in windows and switch instantly (with a keypress combination) to a linux desktop with no trace of windows, without even disturbing whatever you're doing in windows.

i still think learning to use the linux apps that do what you're doing in windows (and they must be able to do it, or you'd have a perfectly valid case for using windows and your situation wouldn't exist) would be a much tidier and more satisfying solution...but if you're a gamer then i can't argue with you...linux is simply inferior, for now anyway...doom, wolfenstein, quake, ut and nwn are nice enough but they start to wear a bit thin after a while...
mxa055
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think you are taking this the wrong way. I am not hiding anything (trying to, but not yet :lol:). I don't know about the companies you work for but at my company things aren't that strict (6 people in total btw), I can pretty much do anything I want on my PC, format, install, throw out the window :lol: (jk). It's just that nobody wants to bother about having to do something to change somebody elses life in here. I wouldn't be suprised if they were ok with windows if I hadn't bothered them with asking in the first place. This has become sort of a small project for me, not so much for the result but mostly for the experience.
Well anyhow, I don't need flash or photoshop as my main tools (these are only examples btw), they just make my life easier. And about gaming, I haven't ever played a game on this PC, but I wouldn't want to lose the option of 3D accelleration even if I never use it.

Now for the technical stuff besides my psychological profile, if I got this right... you say that if I have an hdd with windows on USB2, I would have to normally shutdown windows and then remove the drive right? What about hotswap (don't know exactly how it works, I have only heard what it does).

I might give vmware a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: