View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Spector
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Going hardcore(eyecandy) in X! need help Reply with quote

Hi

My current desktop environment consists of openbox and rox. Everything is configured to be as fast as possible.

Now I want more :wink: ...

-I want a bar, similar to that of the OSX. What is the closest thing here in linux?
-I like rox but since I'm going hardcore I might as well get some eyecandy
-everything still needs to be as fast as possible so no major cpu eaters please.(my cpu load is 0-1% with my present configuration)
-I'm using gkrellm and some dockapps so something similar to these apps but better looking would be nice

That's about it. If anyone has any other suggestions on how I can improve my desktop please do tell! But providing me with names will do just fine :wink:

Regards
Spector
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe adesklets would do as gkrellm replacement? I've used pypanel as a taskbar before, although you probably are more interested in something like engage (part of enlightenment)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try e17? Its still in development, and though it can have loads of eyecandy,- you can choose to have as little eyecandy as you want.
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't exactly associate eyecandy and hardcore together, frame buffer sans X now that's hardcore. As far as making things look pretty you can use gdesklets with openbox, there is a really neat app-launcher that mimics the OSX version fairly closely. I also recommend pypanel if gdesklets isn't your thing. post any screenies that you have and I'm sure you will get many suggestions.
ConnorWorm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run windowmaker, so i was also looking for something like OSX. Good Suggestions, thanks!!!
Lord Spector
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested enlightenment 17 and engage,kde with (super)karamba-osxbar and a few others... and I didn't really like any of them :lol:

Openbox+rox and gkrellm just work great together. So how can I add a little something to this mix without ruining its speed?
I would really like a bar that can hold my desktop icons... I changed my mind about it looking like the OSX bar(too much trouble setting it up). Something simple and nice. I would also like a tool that displays the content of my desktops(the little boxes that show minaturized desktops).

My current desktop
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an older Screenshot of mine, it is all fvwm which maybe something you would like, it is very flexible and has nice eye candy when you want it to.

Shot
Lord Spector
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that bar :) what is it? A part of fvwm? Can it run without fvwm?
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a part of fvwm and can be only run from fvwm, however that is not a bad thing :P. Give fvwm a try, it can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be. You can also use things like gdesklets with fvwm. I guess this was a shameless plug but it has been my favorite window manager for a long time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: