Gnome 2.12 : never stable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_kal_
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.12 : never stable? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I would like to know why Gnome 2.12 is still masqued ~x86. Is it very buggy or can I install it without no risk ?

Regards,

Kal
catzooka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asking that myself for quite some time as well. In most threads (if you search for these), you'll find that people don't seem to have too much of an issue with going ~x86 with their GNOME. If you want to look at whats holding up GNOME 2.12 from going stable, check out the tracker on bugs.gentoo.org.

[rant]Personally, I am quite disappointed with the lack of effort put into GNOME on Gentoo. With every release of GNOME, the time it takes for Gentoo to move from masked->unstable->stable has seemingly grown exponentially. I realize that the general policy is to not move GNOME to stable until x.x.1 has been released (the bugfix release); however, as its in this case, there seems to be no interest in even getting this done, since GNOME 2.12.1 has been out for good amount of time.

However interestingly enough, KDE doesn't seem to be plaqued by this problem. So has Gentoo completely turned to become a KDE distro? I hate to think of it in that way, since I've always preceived Gentoo to be the distribution of choice. However, the lack of interest in GNOME is making this harder and harder to swallow. Yes, you can easily tell me to go ahead and switch to another distrobution, but hey, I choose Gentoo for a reason back when I started to use it in August of 2002.

I don't know how all of you feel about this, but I feel something needs to be done.[/rant]
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads. Please see the Gnome 2.12 thread or topic 392797.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: