[addressed] make install / recompile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acabre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: [addressed] make install / recompile Reply with quote

When I rebooted my laptop after installing, grub gives me an Error 15, which the sticky forum says means the kernel isnt present. My grub.conf references vmlinuz, but when I boot from recoverycd and mount /dev/hda3, there is no such file in the / or /boot folders.

I was searching through a couple of other posts, and found one that says that <make install> is supposed to create these symlinks. I did a one line make && make modules && make modules_install && make install, I thought, but it is possible that I forgot the last. <shrug>

My question is if boot recoverycd and mount /dev/hda3, and then rerun <make && make modules && make modules_install && make install>, will it use the gentoo-sources that I have emerged, and all my flags. or will it use the defaults on the CD?

Thanks in advance!

-acabre

Last edited by acabre on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to reboot with the cd and then you mount your partitions again and do a chroot as you did in your initial install. Cd to the correct directory...
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
.. and simply deploy...
Code:
make install
.. if you are positive, that you already compiled the kernel and did the "make modules_install" thingy.

Reboot and all should be set! :wink:

Edit: Don't forget to mount your boot partition, too!
acabre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: One Small Complication Reply with quote

Well, thank you for the excellent advice. However, by following it I seem to have uncovered the problem. Gentoo isn't getting past the make command, crashing after about 15 seconds with the following error.

net/built-in.o: In function 'ieee80211_michael_mic_failure':
net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt_tkip.c:511: undefined reference to "wireless_send_event'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

I will run make menuconfig to see if I can find and deselect the component so I can get a bootable install. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error? Even better, is it fixable?

Thanks again!

-acabre

edit: removing the TKIP option under networking--> 802.11 seemed to bypass the error
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: