Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouverite wrote:
I use gtk and don't really care if gtk2 works as it's been problematic in the past. What difference does this actually make? Why don't you try it and see?

I'll try it when there's an ebuild for it :)
This message is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. For more info visit http://joemonti.org/
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough that mozilla 1.3 is only out by a few days but then if you just follow someone instructions of copying the ebuild as 1.3 instead of beta etc.

However, knowing debian.. they probably would whip it in in a couple of days. If this is the case, then how come X 4.2.x took a long time along with KDE 3.x ;)

-/Craigo/-
Schlummi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Mozilla1.3 is working now. And blackdown1.4.1 seems to be the only working java-plugin, sun-1.4.1-02 and blackdown1.3.1 didn't work.
Anybody managed to get multizilla working in mozilla1.3?
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These plugins are working for me (what a nice suprise): sun-j2sdk ver:1.4.1, mplayerplug-in 0.50 and Flash 6.0.
These are all I use so I can't help with multizilla.
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: ARGH!!! portage error Reply with quote

I tried a modified 1.3-beta ebuild to get the final 1.3 ....

wuahhhh, no !!!

after hours and hours of building portage stops at

Code:
>>> Install mozilla-1.3 into /var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.3/image/ category net-www
 * Installing mozilla into build root...
/bin/sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [mozilla-sdk-i686-pc-linux-gnu] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-www/mozilla-1.3 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 441, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

ok, I'm cured now ... never ever try an inofficial mozilla ebuild :((

... <sigh> what a waste of time </sigh>
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like a problem with the ebuild in the src_install function (as the error message indicates). Typically an enexpected end of file is due to an unclosed brace. Presumably your beta ebuild was tested previously and worked. The thread here is about the same issue. Sorry for your frustration but this has worked on three computers here at home.
kvanque
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did the "same" thing here and it worked, i say "same" because i didn't read the explaination - i first checked the forum after i compiled mozilla, however it seems to be the same steps, just remove that patch and compile it. works great -- got galeon 1.3.3 running with gtk2, very nice
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update ...

Apparently the Mozilla crew have been known update the Mozilla tarball a few times after a new release.

So the ebuild maintainer is waiting for the tarbal to stay consistant before an ebuild is created.
This message is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. For more info visit http://joemonti.org/
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs like a champ, but I found a strange and pleasant surprise. Instead of the usual thirty-eight minutes it normally takes to build mozilla (fairly consistent over the last several versions), it took less than eleven minutes! That didn't seem right, but I fired it up and tried some flash and java sites to check it out and voila, no problems.

Galeon-1.3.3 built without complaint in a normal time of about ten minutes. Since they have reinstituted some features I have been waiting for from the 1.2 branch, I used WANT_GTK2="yes" while emerging mozilla and unmasked galeon-1.3. I'm posting from it now and it works perfectly.
WindowMaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gentoo people:

A little off topic, but can someone tell me why mozilla (1.2 or 1.3; their tarball, no ebuild) crashes on certain sites. Example: www.wheatkings.com, which is the local junior hockey team. There are others I've stumbled on too, can't dig up their addresses right now.

Loading that page kills all mozilla windows on all our machines. Now for the embarassing part: These are redhat machines &72 and 80). Plugins loaded that are working: Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.0_01-b03, Shockwave Flash 6.0 r61.

Going to give gentoo a whirl this week, reading the install doc. Someone at work is very impressed with it. Neither of us is thrilled with debian.

TIA
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmon wrote:
Instead of the usual thirty-eight minutes it normally takes to build mozilla (fairly consistent over the last several versions), it took less than eleven minutes!

38 Minutes??? What kind of machine are you running? I remember mine taking over an hour(s) and Im running an AMD 1.4Ghz w 512Mb ram. Maby i'm wrong about the time mine took b/c I havnt compiled mozilla in a while and I never *really* paid attention to the time, but I know it was *well* over the 38 minutes yours took. I'll have to time the new version.

Last edited by count on Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
aerogems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindowMaker wrote:
can someone tell me why mozilla (1.2 or 1.3; their tarball, no ebuild) crashes on certain sites. Example: www.wheatkings.com

That site loaded fine for me, aside from a popup about not having the Flash plugin. So, my guess would be that it has something to do with the Flash craplet on the page.
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, are you saying that the mozilla crew updated the tarball a few times? This I never knew about!

As for the 38 minutes compiling... well it does seems possible ;) I remember compiling mozilla 1.3 on this P4M 1.8ghz with 512mb DDR in around no less than a hour at least!

Ah speedy computers... can't live without them ;)

-/Craigo/-
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigo wrote:
Hang on, are you saying that the mozilla crew updated the tarball a few times? This I never knew about!

According to the Mozilla ebuild maintainer, yes. I've never looked/noticed ... so I'm gonna take his word for it.

Craigo wrote:
As for the 38 minutes compiling... well it does seems possible ;) I remember compiling mozilla 1.3 on this P4M 1.8ghz with 512mb DDR in around no less than a hour at least!

Maby I was wrong ... or my perception of time when compiling is off :)
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a pretty fast machine, an A7M266-D sporting a pair of MP 1800+'s and 1024 MB ECC registered. A kernel, everything from 'make dep' to 'make modules_install', takes about four and a half minutes. I was pretty happy with 38 minutes for mozilla but...

Here's the result of:
Code:

time WANT_GTK2="yes" emerge mozilla

real   8m43.772s
user   6m21.118s
sys   2m58.934s

I can't explain it. It makes no sense, but I just ran it again to get that from stdout.
jbrown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmon wrote:
Well it's a pretty fast machine, an A7M266-D sporting a pair of MP 1800+'s and 1024 MB ECC registered. A kernel, everything from 'make dep' to 'make modules_install', takes about four and a half minutes. I was pretty happy with 38 minutes for mozilla but...

Here's the result of:
Code:

time WANT_GTK2="yes" emerge mozilla

real   8m43.772s
user   6m21.118s
sys   2m58.934s

I can't explain it. It makes no sense, but I just ran it again to get that from stdout.

You might have ccache in your USE variable

:?:
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindowMaker wrote:
A little off topic, but can someone tell me why mozilla (1.2 or 1.3; their tarball, no ebuild) crashes on certain sites. Example: www.wheatkings.com, which is the local junior hockey team. There are others I've stumbled on too, can't dig up their addresses right now.

Loading that page kills all mozilla windows on all our machines. Now for the embarassing part: These are redhat machines &72 and 80). Plugins loaded that are working: Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.0_01-b03, Shockwave Flash 6.0 r61.

That site loads fine for me (including the flash) using Mozilla 1.3 and Shockwave Flash 6.0 r79.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never bothered setting up ccache. The second time I built it was a little faster than the first (10 min. 57 sec.), which could not have been cached anyway. It will probably remain a pleasant mystery.

Still haven't found anything broken. And I upgraded the laptop too, though builds are much slower on a 1GHz PIII :)
BigBug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

;( where is offical ebuilds ? ;;(((
I wanna mozilla 1.3 ;)

p.s.: just joke ;)
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those who can't wait (I can't), Mozilla 1.3 ebuild file can be found at :
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17675

-K
aerogems
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a general question, as I was looking through the 1.3b ebuild, I noticed that there were patches listed for Mozilla 1.2b, and I can't help but wonder why they were there.

I removed them, and magically the spam filtering in the mail app started working.

Why are there patches for the previous version's beta release still being applied? Especially since they seem to have detrimental side effects.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. Maybe because they don't realize that the patches break the stuff you mentioned yet?

I'm using 1.3 unpatched right now and have found it to work great. I even got rid of spamassassin to use the built in Mozilla junk mail filter.

I did have some problems with Macromedia's latest flash player that you can download from their site(was broke in 1.2 also though), but I found out Gentoo as a netscape-flash ebuild and emerging that worked perfectly.
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that Mozilla 1.3 ebuilds are now in the portage tree under the "~x86" keyword.

I just got it compiled .... its awesome! ... so much better than 1.2.x and phoenix ... flash and java even is working!

also, it took me 188m32.246s .. or just over 3 hours!

it was worth it though
dbasinge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

count wrote:
flash and java even is working!

Anything special to get java working?

Mike
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerged 1.3 form portage (unstable) and even with WANT_GTK2="yes" emerge mozilla will not build mozilla with gtk2 support

Besides that, the gtk1 build is surprisingly unstable...it even crashes on this topic (every time)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: