View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 Reply with quote

Hi out there,

I saw at www.frankscorner.org info about running IE with wine
and created an ebuild: fell free to test it:
http://www.darav.de/gentoo/index.html

:idea:
Note: No files from the IE are within the bz2 - they won't be downloaded by the ebuild. Take your IE-CD or Google and download manually into /usr/portage/distfiles
(emerge iexplore will show the filenames)

I tested in runs well, but ...
... without Flash, Java etc.
... the ebuild may have problems when running with different users

maybe somebody can change this.

Look at also www.frankscorner.org if you've questions.

Last edited by Ravage on Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security.
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 Reply with quote

Ravage wrote:
Hi out there,

I saw at www.franskcorner.org info about running IE with wine
and created an ebuild: fell free to test it:
http://www.darav.de/gentoo/index.html

:idea:
Note: No files from the IE are within the bz2 - they won't be downloaded by the ebuild. Take your IE-CD or Google and download manually into /usr/portage/distfiles
(emerge iexplore will show the filenames)

I tested in runs well, but ...
... without Flash, Java etc.
... the ebuild may have problems when running with different users

maybe somebody can change this.

Look at also www.franskcorner.org if you've questions.

the url is wrong!
it must be www.frankscorner.org

cheers SteveB
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ...but why?!?!

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Ravage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: fun Reply with quote

*lol*

why ?
just for fun and for showing it works.

don't know a serious reason, accept one:
if you're an webdesigner, you needn't switch to win for checking the page in IE (but if you wan't that ?).
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fun Reply with quote

Ravage wrote:

why ?
just for fun and for showing it works.

ok, i understand that ;)
Quote:

don't know a serious reason, accept one:
if you're an webdesigner, you needn't switch to win for checking the page in IE (but if you wan't that ?).

hmmm ...doesn't w3c solve the prob of doing that? ...i mean there are standards

drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why?

Well, also because a small few pages will only work with IE (bad webpage designer... no cookie) and if you happen to use one of those pages very much it can be very nice to be able to get to it without rebooting...

IE is one of those microsoft programs that for the most parts aren't that bad... Well.. at least it used to be... The gradual slide away from standards kinda bothers me...
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... don't forget that there are quite a few windows programs that need IE to install...

Such as Windows Media Player.... Which I need to install to get mp3 support in Goldwave...

At the moment Goldwave won't work for me, because I don't have WMP, and I can't install WMP because IE isn't there, and IE won't install because the program it uses to download itself doesn't work in Wine apparently...
Ravage
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hmmm ...doesn't w3c solve the prob of doing that? ...i mean there are standards

Yes, but some firms don't take care of standarts.
And a few days ago, I discussed this topic with an Designer and he said something like:
Quote:
"Why beeing standart conform ? Can you imagine the money we earn with the adaptation to IE and friends ?"
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the latest wine release (20021219, I think) from their website.
ie5setup.exe worked flawlessly for me.
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to have IE on your system is when you're a web developer. Browser compatibility is important and you need to make a website or web application work in IE especially. Whether we like it or not, it's still the most used browser around.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA wrote:
Another reason to have IE on your system is when you're a web developer. Browser compatibility is important and you need to make a website or web application work in IE especially. Whether we like it or not, it's still the most used browser around.

what happened to w3c?!?!??!?!?

_why_ do you need to make it work _especially_ under ie?!??!

...i'll stop at this point, because i think my presence at this topic will be more disturbing than constructive

PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, if you sell stuff but IE users can't see the website correctly, you're losing 90% of your possible customers...

I'm in this simple little clan and I'm the only Linux user. Most of the other people are using IE. I'm helping out with the website and since most people use IE, I should make sure they view the website correctly.

You can't tell users: hey, screw you, if you want to see the site you'll have to download Mozilla.

The average home user doesn't even know how to get it, let alone install it...

I prefer W3C, but if that causes most people to get annoyed by the site and don't come back, it doesn't work. Is this caused by MS' monopoly? Definately. Is it good? No way. Is it a fact? Unfortunately, yes.

But this is waaayyyyy off-topic. :)
v0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone use IE under Linux?
What a stupid question.

Just because noone sues you for using Arial in the finally antialiasing Phoenix or Konqueror it doesn't change the fact that if it wasn't for IE, or browsing "standards" it brought, we would be still looking at ugly Netscape pages with tables rendering for hours and oversized Helvetica to make them even more appaling. There are certain things Linux is missing - off the top of my head - a good, clean in design and ergonomics, light and full of features integrated email and news client like OE (and please don't drag out Evolution), a good FTP/FXP client (and please don't even try to mention Igloo), clean and light multiserver multiwindow IRC client like Mirc (no, the clownish wallmart eye candy kvirc won't cut it) and finally, fast, properly rendering and clean browser.
And if you breath slowly reading my words and just try to put all prejudice aside you will realise that the only thing you can set against IE and OE is security bugs, which are mostly related to inferior security of the entire OS or programming language. There isn't a lot to complain about in terms of usability, ergonomics and the actual web experience. The truth is not a lot of our Linux coders and programming geniuses are art graduates. That's why so many of us drool over Macs and create endless themes to make our daily experience between those brute KDE lines at least a wee bit nicer. And just like windows users could at some point in the future envy our fluxbox and enlightenment desktops looks we can do nothing but envy ease and pleasure of using their Internet applications. Netscape or mozilla - it was always bloated, heavy, slow and wierd looking. And it always will be. The best internet applications for us are still in the darkness of xterm window.
I bet that ported IE4 is still doing rounds between solaris users and deep inside they thank gods for their mercy.

How often do you want to reach for wine(x)...
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v0n wrote:
And if you breath slowly reading my words and just try to put all prejudice aside you will realise that the only thing you can set against IE and OE is security bugs, which are mostly related to inferior security of the entire OS or programming language. There isn't a lot to complain about in terms of usability, ergonomics and the actual web experience.

Actually there is also the complaint that it is not standards compliant. Thats a biggie with me. I used to prefer IE over Netscape (and still do..) but after using Mozilla, Phoenix, and Opera, I definatly don't enjoy IE anymore.
IE is a good browser. Unfortunately it doesn't have mouse gestures... And it's slipping away from standards enough that it won't be a good browser for long. Oh, and is it just me or does IE like to lock up on ftp links?

Quote:

How often do you want to reach for wine(x)...

Not very often. I'm trying to use it for Goldwave right now and that's about it. I'll probably install my copy of photoshop as well, and if quicktime ever starts working correctly I'll use it for that (I got one or two stupid video files that won't play in mplayer...)
I know the gimp is available, but after spending so much time in photoshop I don't feel llike learning a new interface for what little I use it anymore.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
PARENA wrote:

what happened to w3c?!?!??!?!?

_why_ do you need to make it work _especially_ under ie?!??!

...i'll stop at this point, because i think my presence at this topic will be more disturbing than constructive

Show me a 100% standards compliant browser.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone actually using this ebuild with success?

It's true that most of the world is IE though I've been writing cross browser HTML for some time and I can usually write stuff that looks almost exact in both newer Mozillas and IE though my font sizes are always different... so I still have to spot check things in IE.
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very simple reason for wanting to use IE under Linux: My school's website will not work under anything but IE 5.5 and later. Too much flawed, useless Javascript, poorly integrated with ASP. Confusing framesets, too, which the pages send you back to if you're not viewing them inside a frame. I've tried digging my way through the incoherent Javascript-generated menus with some success, but I still can't reach all of the site. Additionally, in the forums (which work relatively well), the TEXTAREA for posting messages does not appear. In Mozilla, the button links don't work either (they do in Konqueror though).
I've tried talking to them, but they say that the site uses a content management system created by the school's students (I can tell), and they're not going to change it. Why, for the love of god, couldn't they use PHPNuke and phpBB? They have full Hebrew support now.

If anyone would like to take a shot at it:
Main school site (nothing shows up) - http://bialik.ort.org.il
Software engineering section (same) - http://space.ort.org.il/softeng
Post a new message in the forums (The fields on the top are Subject, Author, E-Mail and ICQ, followed by an E-Mail notification checkbox. In IE, the textarea appears just below the formatting bar, above the "Add a file" field) - http://demo.ort.org.il/ortforums/scripts/forum_msg_new.asp?pc=903358238&pmc=524989151&mmc=367783057

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: