Some Newbee Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blade-Runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Some Newbee Questions Reply with quote

Hi
This is my first Post here, After a big odysee through various Linux Distros, I came finally back to Gentoo, because it seems to have the brightes software reporsitory for my Architecture (Pegasos PPC)
After some quirks I have managed to Install Gentoo 2005-1 on my Computer, however some minor issues remain. Forgive me if those problems has allready been discussed, I tried the search feature, however, it might be I didn`t try it hard enough ;)

Ok, here we go.

I use the ~ppc Keyword and have emerged KDE 3.5 with hal and dbus keywords.
This helped to get my DVD and CD Rom Drives mounted. However, in system:/media also my Linux Partition is shown, but as unmounted. Also all other Partitons (I have a small boot partition which is mounted on boot, as well as a data partition, which is shared with another OS) are not there at all.

So my Question, is there a configfile somewhere around where I can tell how KDE should handle my partitons? Idealy, I want that the Linux Partition + boot partiton is shown as mounted, while i want the data partiton mounted on demand.

Next thing is usb related.

1: Logitech Dual Action Pad:
It seems as if it is not recognized at all, at least I can`t find anything in /dev/ which looks like a joystick (but I might be wrong when I assume it has to be there ;) ) and I am unable to calibrate it in KDE. However, when I first emerged KDE, It was possible to configure this Pad in KDE. So at least it is no Kernel issue, Joystick and usb support are compiled with the kernel. But I guess i managed to somehow destroy one of those rc files (did an etc-update, but didn`t fully understand what was overwritten ;) ) and now my Joypad isn`t recognized.

So what can I do that my usb pad is recognized again?

2: I have an external USB Harddrive. However it isn`t detected when I plug it in. It isn`t also detected if its plugged during boot. However on other distros I was able to acces this HD, so in general it should work. I remeber also there was a nice tool in KDE which automatically showed every usb device which is connected/disconnected.

Any Idea how to solve that?
sethleon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerning the partition:
/etc/fstab
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

concerning usb in general ... you need to add certain features /modules in kernel
read: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: