Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What changed in DHCP between rc2 and rc3?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: What changed in DHCP between rc2 and rc3? Reply with quote

After almost a week of trying to get gentoo installed on a fairly new machine I'm about ready to go back to SuSE (and I don't really want to do that!)

The scenario is something like this:
I first downloaded rc3 and started installing it. I already had SuSE installed on the box so I pretty much followed the alternative install howto doc because I'd want to be able to play on the net etc while Gentoo was doing its' thing :)
My NIC uses the tulip driver and I have no problems when I'm using SuSE (or Knoppix).
So after a day or so everything was finally done and I went to reboot. Everything went fine until DHCP was being started. It just sat there until it timed out :(

I logged in and started poking around but I couldn't find any reason why DHCP didn't work. The first time around I used the gentoo-sources kernel so I started back at the top but this time using the vanilla-sources. But the end result was the same.

So I tried booting off the rc3 LiveCD and the same thing happened. I couldn't get DHCP to work. I downloaded the rc2 LiveCD and booted off of that...SUCCESS!
Code:
# modprobe tulip
# net-setp eth0

And selecting DHCP worked great with the rc2 LiveCD. I figured things would probably break if I went ahead with the install but I still tried ... and DHCP broke again :(

I had another NIC sitting in my deskdrawer so I tried that (Realtek 8139too) but I got the exact same results with that...

So can anybody tell me what changed between rc2 and c3 and perhaps point me in the right direction here?
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of reports about a broken dhcp in rc3 - u can install from the rc2 cd and upgrade to rc3 by 'emerge rsync && emerge -u --deep world'... perhaps thats the fastest solution...
CL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that twice (using the rc2 LiveCD and doing a complete install) and things are broken after I get done with the install and do the reboot :cry:
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just no reason when booting from ANY gentoo CD would make a difference if you are doing a complete install (i.e. you are just using stage1 to bootstrap yourself and then rebuilding everything from stage1 onward).

For instance, I've done "1.4" installs using the 1.2 boot CD. All the boot CD is used for in these cases is getting you to basic sane building environment with binutils and gcc/glib (which you then rebuild yourself anyway).

Given you seem to have established that dhcp on 1.4rc3 doesn't work from you, it might be more productive to describe the issues are you having building from 1.4rc2...since that should just work.

-Twist
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:
I tried that twice (using the rc2 LiveCD and doing a complete install) and things are broken after I get done with the install and do the reboot :cry:

twist is right - the install cd doesnt matter - u can install the latest gentoo from knoppix for example...

if u installed from a rc2 cd - u will have a rc3 in the end ... if that doesnt work after the install, it is not a problem of the cd... tell us the things that are broken and we will try to resolve it...
CL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers...but the problem seems to be that during the install when I sync up then DHCP gets screwed up.
Because when I boot from the LiveCD rc2 then DHCP is working. When I boot from the LiveCD rc3 then DHCP won't work.

So I tried doing the install starting with a clean harddrive and booting from the rc2 LiveCD. Everything went honkey dorey all the way through the install process. But after I reboot then DHCP doesn't work and I can't find any indications why... :(

EDIT: I realize that what I boot from isn't important (as long as it works) what I'm trying to find out is what changed in connection with DHCP between rc2 and rc3 so that I can 'undo' the changes after I get everything installed...
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL wrote:
So I tried doing the install starting with a clean harddrive and booting from the rc2 LiveCD. Everything went honkey dorey all the way through the install process. But after I reboot then DHCP doesn't work and I can't find any indications why... :(

sorry if this is obvious but did u add dhcp to the default runlevel? 'rc-update add dhcpcd default' - or is the problem that after booting a manual 'dhcpcd' just times out?
CL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did add it and it does just time out...
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the first thing I would do is this: determine version of dhcp on RC2 CD. Install and build 1.4 system from that. Last step of install before rebooting with new kernel, downgrade the dhcp to the version that is on the RC2 disk via emerge.

-Twist
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Sounds like the kernel Reply with quote

This sounds like a problem I'm having. I originally installed from a RC1 cd and DHCP was working great. Then I tried upgrading my kernel from 2.4.19 to 2.4.20 and DHCP would time out and not work no matter what I tried. And the ONLY change I made was to emerge a new kernel. I have since tried emerging numerous different 2.4.20 sources and all have the same results. I am forced to stick with 2.4.19 until I can find a solution.

I think this is the same problem you are having because if I'm not mistaken, the RC2 cd's use a 2.4.19 kernel, whereas the RC3 cd's use a 2.4.20 kernel. This sort of sucks because there are things I want to upgrade but need the 2.4.20 kernel to do so :(

EDIT: I only tried the gaming-sources kernel and the gentoo-sources kernel and both were unsuccessful. This is to be expected since gaming-sources is simply a patched gentoo-sources kernel.

Last edited by HeadHolio on Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

hrmm, this thread says that using the vanilla-sources solved their problem.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=40271&highlight=dhcp
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: