invalid /dev/hdb2 swap device [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xnochtux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: invalid /dev/hdb2 swap device [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have two cuestions, I just installed gentoo

1.-I get this eror at boot in verbose mode " invalid swap device /dev/hdb2 with two red !! inside [ ] , it doesnt stop the boot or anything, but it makes me wonder if I am runing gentoo as if there is no swap partition.

i have gentoo installed in my second hd with a boot p. (32M), swap p. (512M), and root p. the rest of the disk.

2.-
I also have win xp installed on my first hd and I cant get grub to load it, I did as manual and wiki explain, changing the boot priority to the disk gentoo is installled on , and then the trick on grub.conf using map to "fool te first drive"

here is my grub .conf

title= Gentoo
default 0

root (hd1,0)

kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hdb3

title= win xp

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

I tried both combinations on the map commands with no diference in the outcome, grub just frezzes and shows the commands for the windows part in the grub.conf or shows invalid device error.

Note: I was able to boot win xp in my previous attemps installing gentoo, only I didnt change the boot priority in the bios those times, and gentoo did not boot but win xp did without te map command trick.

What can I do to solve this?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by xnochtux on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the swap problem, did you do a mkswap on the swap partition whne you were doing the install? It sounds to me like maybe you forgot that step, so when it tried to open the swap, it does not see a validly formatted swap partition and complains.

You can easily check if you have any swap, and how much, by running "top" and looking at the line about 3rd or 4th from the top where it shows the memory and swap space used and available.

Sorry I can't help with the dual boot problem with windoze, but I have never done a dual boot box. :?
morodoch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Note: I was able to boot win xp in my previous attemps installing gentoo, only I didnt change the boot priority in the bios those times, and gentoo did not boot but win xp did without te map command trick.

If your BIOS is changing the boot priority, it may also be changing the drive assignments - try using (hd1, instead of (hd0, in the chainloader section.

-- Curtis
xnochtux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah wrote:
Regarding the swap problem, did you do a mkswap on the swap partition whne you were doing the install? It sounds to me like maybe you forgot that step, so when it tried to open the swap, it does not see a validly formatted swap partition and complains.

You can easily check if you have any swap, and how much, by running "top" and looking at the line about 3rd or 4th from the top where it shows the memory and swap space used and available.

Sorry I can't help with the dual boot problem with windoze, but I have never done a dual boot box. :?

Yeap, that was the problem , I skipped the mkswap command, thanks for the help. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: